Farmland Scouting 1/17 to 1/20

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Farmland Scouting 1/17 to 1/20

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 am

Here is his view from the bed.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 am

The buck also bedded on the backside of this oak tree...I found that kind of odd and couldn't figure out why he was doing that.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 am

Very good waist high rub.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 am

Here are a couple Farmland Cedar Thicket beds. The deer in this area really like the small cedar thickets for bedding. The first one is not 100 yards from a blacktop road; It's a great overlooked and isolated area.

Here is the buck's view laying in the bed. The bedding spot is on the corner of a small waterhole and it's up on a slight hill overlooking a creek bottom.

Another bed view with pond dam in the background.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:29 am

Maybe a 3 year old..Might be a good one next season ;)
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 am

Another cedar/multiflora rose bedding spot.

Buck's View..

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 am

Waist high rub with the bed in the background. looks like a good buck beds here at times.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:42 am

Here is a step back view of the buck's bed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:55 am

bump
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I struggle with beds like these as they make great sense when there is standing, or moreso remaining crops and just seem so worthless post harvest..... this always fosters the big argument in my mind as to if bucks bed in the same area most of the time
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Does the same apply to a field of clover as standing corn or beans? A wide open food source transitioning with some type of cover out on a point or finger?
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Sorry, my post is definitely thread highjacking but it is an overlapping subject matter and I'm hoping to apply what you guys have learned. Reading this thread 7 months after the initial post but so close to the season, I am jacked for you guys to be able to start hunting these spots.

Have you got any insight on this location and aerial sign? I just learned late last season that this spot was available to me, and I only recently learned of the Beast method. While I haven't done the necessary scouting for it to really pay off, I'm also not about to give up on this season and the information I can learn from you all to apply to it. 8-)

Directly to the North of the image line is a gravel road, to the east is a Highway. What is keeping the deer so close to the gravel road (according to the trails - and I saw a good doe walking along the road last weekend). I am guessing they either bed in the edge along the pines or come across the road from the north into the pines before entering the field. How can I set up on or near that edge without blowing them out, assuming they're bedded in the pines?

Following your example about points, I would almost expect to see one at the point of that triangular piece. Up close google shows several trails that hug that corner tight only a few yards into the field. This corner may be worth either setting up on, setting up to the South of, or taking that interior trail and setting up to the West (perhaps on a NW , N, or E wind?)

Thanks again for any advice and for sharing all of your scouting trips. Hopefully I can get a successful quick scout in before hunting this spot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 pm

gjs4 wrote:I struggle with beds like these as they make great sense when there is standing, or moreso remaining crops and just seem so worthless post harvest..... this always fosters the big argument in my mind as to if bucks bed in the same area most of the time

Bucks certainly have more than a couple bedding areas... Some are seasonal, crop based, wind based, or cover based. Only primarys are used all year.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 am

gjs4 wrote:I struggle with beds like these as they make great sense when there is standing, or moreso remaining crops and just seem so worthless post harvest..... this always fosters the big argument in my mind as to if bucks bed in the same area most of the time

A lot of buck beds in Farmland utilize vision to see you before you see them. They will bed in spots like these after crop harvest. Like Dan said, crop harvest, does coming in heat, etc. will all shift the non primary beds around a bit.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:17 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:Sorry, my post is definitely thread highjacking but it is an overlapping subject matter and I'm hoping to apply what you guys have learned. Reading this thread 7 months after the initial post but so close to the season, I am jacked for you guys to be able to start hunting these spots.

Have you got any insight on this location and aerial sign? I just learned late last season that this spot was available to me, and I only recently learned of the Beast method. While I haven't done the necessary scouting for it to really pay off, I'm also not about to give up on this season and the information I can learn from you all to apply to it. 8-)

Directly to the North of the image line is a gravel road, to the east is a Highway. What is keeping the deer so close to the gravel road (according to the trails - and I saw a good doe walking along the road last weekend). I am guessing they either bed in the edge along the pines or come across the road from the north into the pines before entering the field. How can I set up on or near that edge without blowing them out, assuming they're bedded in the pines?

Following your example about points, I would almost expect to see one at the point of that triangular piece. Up close google shows several trails that hug that corner tight only a few yards into the field. This corner may be worth either setting up on, setting up to the South of, or taking that interior trail and setting up to the West (perhaps on a NW , N, or E wind?)

How big is the property? Any topo maps?

You might try glassing this spot as well. That would be a good low impact tactic for this time of year.

Thanks again for any advice and for sharing all of your scouting trips. Hopefully I can get a successful quick scout in before hunting this spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”