Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:00 am

You can save maps but you have to sign in. I'll have to go back and see how but i remember it not being intuitive. You can save up to 5 for the free sign up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:50 am

I also use it to find ground in rather flat swamp ground

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31005
Razor

Unread postby Razor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 am

Hi guys im new here and found this thread and been messing with caltopo. Aside from the DEM elevation settings i have been messing with the sunlight analysis setting and seems you can find areas that will cool in the evening and heat up first in the morning. Might not be exact but its fairly accurate and pretty cool! Just wanted to pass this info on. Thanks for the DEM tip!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:21 am

Bump this to the top. Fantastic advice for scouting in here for hill country
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 am

I am going to bump this to the top because I got the dreaded email from Photo Bucky last night. Who knows how long the pictures will last...
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:44 am

Schubox1265 wrote:I am going to bump this to the top because I got the dreaded email from Photo Bucky last night. Who knows how long the pictures will last...

Thank you! I am tinkering with it now, just learned how to create those custom layers "1/3 from top" and "east facing slopes". In the past I usually just print out a terrain or topo and highlight with a marker the east 1/3 elevations I am interested in and go out and scout them. With this I just made the 2 rules for east and 1/3 and its showing me some areas I hadn't even personally considered before but I will now... Very Very cool! Thanks again!!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 am

Schubox1265 wrote:I am going to bump this to the top because I got the dreaded email from Photo Bucky last night. Who knows how long the pictures will last...

Great bump! I tried learning this a few seasons ago but had issues getting it to work... Can I shoot you a PM w some questions?
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 am

I was able to print out the KMZ file in Caltopo with the contours and the top 1/3 slopes for the south side of the mountain. I then went into Google Earth Pro and imported the KMZ and it overlaid perfectly. So now I am able to see all my waypoints and trails with contours and shading in Google and rotate around and have it all line up. I am really pumped about this. Also, you can adjust the transparency of the overlay so it does not look white.
Extreme Effort Only
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 am

Darkknight54 wrote:

Great bump! I tried learning this a few seasons ago but had issues getting it to work... Can I shoot you a PM w some questions?

Sure
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:58 pm

This is an awesome tool once you get it figured out :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 am

Always been a Caltopo fan, never knew how to make these custom layers. Thanks, this thread is killer.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
rthunter

Unread postby rthunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:20 am

Dewey wrote:Now that is cool!! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Fantastic!! Thank you for sharing - always looking for a good mapping option and this could be very useful.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am

Rick_Winter wrote:I was able to print out the KMZ file in Caltopo with the contours and the top 1/3 slopes for the south side of the mountain. I then went into Google Earth Pro and imported the KMZ and it overlaid perfectly. So now I am able to see all my waypoints and trails with contours and shading in Google and rotate around and have it all line up. I am really pumped about this. Also, you can adjust the transparency of the overlay so it does not look white.

I borrowed your idea and took it a step further put it in the garmin 62s. that is cool. Never thought about doing this. Got to play with this some more.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 am

wmahunter wrote:I borrowed your idea and took it a step further put it in the garmin 62s. that is cool. Never thought about doing this. Got to play with this some more.

I do this with trail maps for some of the public lands I hunt. When you are hauling out a deer it is great to know for certain where the closest trail is.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:14 pm

wmahunter wrote:
Rick_Winter wrote:I was able to print out the KMZ file in Caltopo with the contours and the top 1/3 slopes for the south side of the mountain. I then went into Google Earth Pro and imported the KMZ and it overlaid perfectly. So now I am able to see all my waypoints and trails with contours and shading in Google and rotate around and have it all line up. I am really pumped about this. Also, you can adjust the transparency of the overlay so it does not look white.

I borrowed your idea and took it a step further put it in the garmin 62s. that is cool. Never thought about doing this. Got to play with this some more.

Awesome! I use back country navigator. So I walk and locate everything export the waypoints and paths. Import them into google earth pro. Then I go to caltopo shade out what I want to see and save that to my places in google. I am then able to clean up the trails and waypoints. I add all my descriptions. Then export it all back to my phone. So I am always able to keep everything up to date. Definitely need to keep playing with the software and see what else is there I can use.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”