Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackCoverBowHunter

Re: Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

I think tomorrow I am going to see if the PASDA website that Penn St. keeps updated with LIDAR, elevations and downloadable contours is something I will be able to get into Google earth pro that way I will be able to see the satellite image better. I just love having contours on GE Pro it is so valuable.

Extreme Effort Only
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 am

Rick_Winter wrote:I think tomorrow I am going to see if the PASDA website that Penn St. keeps updated with LIDAR, elevations and downloadable contours is something I will be able to get into Google earth pro that way I will be able to see the satellite image better. I just love having contours on GE Pro it is so valuable.

if you get overwhelmed looking at all that lidar data send a pm to bobbo1686. He sets it up into kmz blocks that import into GE pro really easy. He does charge a small fee, but it is worth it.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 am

wmahunter wrote:
Rick_Winter wrote:I think tomorrow I am going to see if the PASDA website that Penn St. keeps updated with LIDAR, elevations and downloadable contours is something I will be able to get into Google earth pro that way I will be able to see the satellite image better. I just love having contours on GE Pro it is so valuable.

if you get overwhelmed looking at all that lidar data send a pm to bobbo1686. He sets it up into kmz blocks that import into GE pro really easy. He does charge a small fee, but it is worth it.

Thanks for that tip. I do civil design work, so I pretty much deal with raw data and contours on a daily basis. Once you figure out how to get the raw information It is smooth sailing from there.
Extreme Effort Only
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 am

hunter_mike wrote:
ihookem wrote:I made a map with potential deer stands and stuff but when I come back to it the red dots dissapear. I don't know why. This is exactly what I was looking for . I've used calctopo for looking at topos but didn't know I could put notes on the map. Just have to find a way to keep it there.

if you have a google or yahoo email address you can sign in and save your maps. There is a spot to click on in the upper left corner of the screen when you are in caltopo.
You can also save them to a pdf. Just click the print icon on the caltopo tool bar and you can name it, choose the scale and several other options on the left tool bar. Then click generate pdf and save it to your device!
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 am

Caltopo is great and I use it to share maps with my hunting buddies, but since the topic of information security (ie guys stealing map/aerial data) has come up lately I want to remind everyone that

YOUR MAPS IN CALTOPO ARE EASILY SEARCHABLE AND SHOULD BE SET TO PRIVATE.

For example, if you are King of England and create a map in Caltopo named SHERWOOD FOREST then anyone can find it in Caltopo if they use the right keyword (Sherwood). The way to avoid this is to load the map and find the "Manage this map" link in the upper left and use the available options to make the map private. I'd also suggest not naming any map with an easily-identifiable name, as Caltopo could get hacked and all the data could be made public.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:02 am

So in case anyone isnt sure about playing around w this thing. It seems they updated the DEM feature and is very user friendly now. You can even add the Canopy feature per % of cover you wish to view! Impressive
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:So in case anyone isnt sure about playing around w this thing. It seems they updated the DEM feature and is very user friendly now. You can even add the Canopy feature per % of cover you wish to view! Impressive

I noticed this today as well. Much more user friendly and super easy to use. Gotta love caltopo!!

I just need to figuru out how to load the maps on my garmin 62
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Moccasin Hunter wrote:You can also save them to a pdf. Just click the print icon on the caltopo tool bar and you can name it, choose the scale and several other options on the left tool bar. Then click generate pdf and save it to your device!

I am not familiar with pdf files. Is there an advantage to saving an image to pdf vs jpg?
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
Moccasin Hunter wrote:You can also save them to a pdf. Just click the print icon on the caltopo tool bar and you can name it, choose the scale and several other options on the left tool bar. Then click generate pdf and save it to your device!

I am not familiar with pdf files. Is there an advantage to saving an image to pdf vs jpg?
Yes pdf maps printed on standard printer paper at 100% are to correct scale and can be used with protractor compasses. Also you can measure distance with a ruller by the scale. I keep a file of pdf maps on a thumb drive as a backup and for portability. Pdfs from caltopo also give magnetic declination. Everything that USGS maps have with the advantage that you choose the exact area and scale that you need!
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm

:naughty:
Moccasin Hunter wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

Yes pdf maps printed on standard printer paper at 100% are to correct scale and can be used with protractor compasses. Also you can measure distance with a ruller by the scale. I keep a file of pdf maps on a thumb drive as a backup and for portability. Pdfs from caltopo also give magnetic declination. Everything that USGS maps have with the advantage that you choose the exact area and scale that you need!
Another thing you can save pdfs without logging into an account so they are totaly private and secure stored only on your device. Somewhat old school so far as computers go but very efective. I like efective!!
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Moccasin Hunter wrote::naughty:
Moccasin Hunter wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

Another thing you can save pdfs without logging into an account so they are totaly private and secure stored only on your device. Somewhat old school so far as computers go but very efective. I like efective!!
I have no idea how or if I clicked the naughty emogee :think: big fingers I guess! Sorry
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:33 am

Do you half To download that to desktop to do that?
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 am

Blinginpse wrote:Do you half To download that to desktop to do that?
No, you can save the pdf to a thumb drive or any device connected to your computer. I create and save mine to a tablet also, in a file for my pdf maps. If you don't log into an account and save to the caltopo site when you close that window you will lose the map and all the custom layers and markers. So if you take this route remember you will have to start over for each session. Not a big deal for me because my maps are mostly basic, which is all I need. I print the map I plan to use and put it into a doccument cover and put it in my scouting bag along with a Silva type 7 compass. Note some stratgic location coordinates on the map. The batteries never die :D .I also keep a seperate file on all my scouted spots with a pdf map in that file along with video notes and photos of the stand sight and tree. Good references. Watch Bowhunter15s Youtube video on scouting public land. The DIY Sportsman on Youtube. This old dog learned a new trick from a young guy there.Heres a link https://youtu.be/sr0w4_HiMVg
willsk85

Unread postby willsk85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

Are their updated steps to get the 1/3 shading. I keep trying to go off of the initial post, knowing the software is updated, and trying to figure it out, I can't seem to get the top 1/3 shaded that I want.

Thanks!
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 am

I have been a caltopo fan for a while now but this thread is really helping me learn so much more . I just finished reading an article about Matt Jacobs and caltopo. Very interesting read, one paragraph really interested me "In addition to simply layering source maps, Jacobs began building CalTopo out with impressive, SAR-specific datapoints, like viewshed analysis, which allows you to map line-of-sight radio transmissions between hilltop repeaters, and sunlight shading for dog teams. (“Dogs are very dependent on scent,” he says. “When direct sunlight hits a slope, the air tends to rise straight up, and the dogs can’t really follow the scent cone into a subject. So, you want to get them on hills before the sun hits them, or after the sun goes away.”) ". Sunlight shading for dog teams? Just made me wonder how useful this feature could be for Beast hunters. https://www.outsideonline.com/2229756/y ... cebookpost .Heres a link to the entire article I would like to hear your ideas about this to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”