Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Cyber Scouting and Mapping to the next level - CalTopo

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:24 pm

Ihookem,

Difficulty traversing certain terrain always seems like I am walking farther. Steep hills, deep mucky cattails, or thick nasty bushwacking seem like you've walked miles, but the GPS doesn't lie.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:25 am

I keep track with my GPS and have walked 38.2 miles so far this year scouting deer. Some people couldn't imagine that much scouting but on this sight,,,, SHHHEIIT, I most likely have less than average compared to you all.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:55 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Ihookem,

Difficulty traversing certain terrain always seems like I am walking farther. Steep hills, deep mucky cattails, or thick nasty bushwacking seem like you've walked miles, but the GPS doesn't lie.

Ain't that the truth. Spent about 10 hours scouting a new spot last Friday where I was either in knee deep cattail muck, walking very steep ridges, or crawling and ducking through thick brush. It was also the warmest day of the year so far here which made it even worse. Every step was a hard one to say the least. Don't have a GPS but according to my scouting app it was a total of just over 4 miles. I couldn't believe it...felt more like 14 :lol:

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am

Really like this tool, it could really help me pick stands during the rut. I'm having a little trouble trying to do the overlay for different wind directions. Does anyone have any advice on how to do that?
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:54 am

ehavs wrote:
Schubox1265 wrote:I think it would be good to point out that '1/3 down' in one area may not be '1/3 down' in another area in your hunting area.

You can create as many of these layers that you want (and maybe get a little more descriptive in your layer naming) for different elevation shading for different '1/3 down' areas on your map.

Once created, you can toggle them on or off in the upper right pull-down menu.

Do you know of any code available where one could set a percentage from the highest point of elevation on the map and shade based off of that? I.E. shade all areas that are 33% from the highest point in that particular spot? Probably a bit too complex I would think, but this would eliminate the need to sort through all the different layers you would have to add. Regardless this is a great tool.

I don't believe that you can do this.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 am

ihookem wrote:I signed into Yahoo but when I make a red marker on my deer stands it disapears when I go back to it. I am saving it as far as I can tell. Any idea what I am doing wrong. I have a Macbook but should not matter much. How do I save all the dots?

For those of you having problems saving maps, not only do you have to sign in (Yahoo or Google), but you need to create and name your own map. You can create as many of these as you want.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:18 am

Bigb wrote:Really like this tool, it could really help me pick stands during the rut. I'm having a little trouble trying to do the overlay for different wind directions. Does anyone have any advice on how to do that?

When you say overlay for different wind, I do not understand. If you mean add a Geospatial Image layer, this type of overlay is an image that is stored elsewhere on the web (like dropbox) and referenced into you map.

Placing it correctly is difficult because you have to assign coordinates to the upper left and lower right corners of your image.

Placing image overlays is much, much easier on Goggle Earth.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri May 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Yep, SHubox1265, I figured it out. I really like Calctopo. I know a place way back in the woods . It's a high spot in a swamp. I see the high spot on the topi but when I took down the GPS reading on Calctopo , I found out I was on the wrong high spot . Now, it drives me nuts not being able to get back there to scout this high area in a huge Black Spruce swamp. It is a spot I swear a big buck would shed his antlers.. Now I have to wait till fall. Love Calctopo though. I found a spot that looked really good, take the GPS reading and load it on the map. The more Reaings I put on the map, the more the woods makes sense.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:52 am

ihookem wrote: I see the high spot on the topi but when I took down the GPS reading on Calctopo , I found out I was on the wrong high spot . Now, it drives me nuts not being able to get back there to scout this high area in a huge Black Spruce swamp.

Make sure that CalTopo and your GPS are using the same datum, and the same position format for the coordinate system.

Datum's are typically WGS84 or NAD27. (Default for CalTopo is WGS84)

Position format is either decimal degrees (CalTopo default), degrees decimal minutes, or degrees minutes & seconds.

Settings for both of these are located under the 'Config' pull-down.

Most handheld GPS unit settings are under 'setup' - 'navigation'

Hope this helps.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun May 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Shu, I found that out the hard way or my cabin is on public land !! :lol: I figured that one out but might have made a mistake about the hill in the swamp. I was sure I was on that hill in the swamp, maybe I am off .
michigan gone wild
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MichiganGoneWild

Unread postby michigan gone wild » Mon May 25, 2015 4:52 pm

That's pretty neat!
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Wow some of you guys are pretty tech savvy I take it, this will take some getting use to, how exactly do you do and image overlay of property boundary like I've seen in a thread about hunting a buck bed???
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:04 am

Also what would the codes be for a NORTH, EAST AND WEST slope. It would be nice to switch through the slope shades according to winds for a particular day. Thanks a lot !!!!!
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:49 am

PUBLICbowhunter wrote:Also what would the codes be for a NORTH, EAST AND WEST slope. It would be nice to switch through the slope shades according to winds for a particular day. Thanks a lot !!!!!

The aspect ('a' code) is based on a 360 degree circle. 0 is north, 90 is east, 180 is south, and 270 is west.

When using the 'a' code, always list clockwise.

i.e. 'a0-180' will shade the east slopes, and 'a180-0' will shade the west slopes.

'a270-0' would shade the NW slopes, but 'a0-270' would shade everything from north all around to west

Once again, sign in, name and save your maps, name and save your layers.

The pencil icon next to your layer name allows you to edit them.

I hope this helps, and I apologize for being out of the loop as of late

Schu
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 am

Not only is it useful for hill country I've found it handy to find high ground in the Cypress swamps

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31005

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”