when's the best time of year to scout primary beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

remmag
500 Club

when's the best time of year to scout primary beds?

Unread postby remmag » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 pm

The 2015 deer season will be my first "official beast" season as I did not get to do any scouting prior to this hunting season. I was just wondering if I could get some input on the best part of the year to scout "primary" bedding areas that are gonna be useful and huntable during next deer season. Also maybe some tips on how to decide whether or not a bed is considered primary or just a winter bed or food source bed etc. My plan was to start scouting as soon as season was over (Jan. 2nd/Michigan) and scout till green up or around march/ AApril because this is kind of what I got out of the beast videos I ordered. But I've also read many of times in the threads on here from fellow beast members as well as Dan that a lot of beds found in the snow and after season are just mainly winter beds that are located close to a late season food source or in other cases beds that were only being used during high pressure gun season. So now I'm getting confused on what I should do..I don't want to put in the time scouting these beds and mapping them out if there not gonna be useful to me during season..especially the earlier bow season which is when I primarily do most of my hunting. I appreciate any help or suggestions..I love how everyday when I log out of this site I walk away knowing that I learned at least one more thing that's gonna further my success

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: when's the best time of year to scout primary beds?

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 pm

The best time is during the season... Cause thats when you hunt the beds. Thats not usually done cause we are hunting, so next best is right after season. wHEN THE SNOW MELTS SIGN SHOULD STILL BE THERE FROM IN THE SEASON... Primary bedding areas "usually" have multiple beds and cover a big area maybe an 1/8 acre to an acre in size. But not always... By the amount of wear and sign you should be able to tell if its used for a short period of time, or throughout the fall...
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks Dan. Would you say that bucks make "winter" beds or "high pressure" beds quite often during that part of the season or are most buck beds productive all year round based on your experience? Season is only half way over and I'm already looking forward to next year haha

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:25 am

They are both seasonal... But pressure beds usually get used all season by the oldest bucks, and get heavy use during the most pressure periods of the season... Winter beds are usually related to the closest acceptable cover in relation to food...
Most buck beds are not productive year round, and you need to figure out when they are used... Find the primary areas, and your golden, those are the ones that produce year after year.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:15 am

Since your own inventory of huntable beds is close to zero your game plan will be different than dan's.
Most guys will...scout, scout, hunt. And post season is best but not necessary.
Get some experience, suspect a bed and go confirm it. Get your feet wet. The bed you find today could be hunted once before post season.
Determining when a bed is used and why is put together from clues at the bed usually so finding them might answer some of your questions.
This style of hunting is new to me also but really love the whole concept of "beast hunting".

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:08 am

dan wrote: so next best is right after season. wHEN THE SNOW MELTS SIGN SHOULD STILL BE THERE FROM IN THE SEASON...

I've thought about this alot. I've done a bunch of scouting in late winter and early spring but we don't get snow, so the bed sign is hard to find most of the time or it's old. Plus, the oaks hold their leaves until winter and there are sometimes a fresh covering of leaves after the rut. I've often thought the best time for me to scout is right about the time I'm going to be hunting next year in a certain area or late November / December if I'm killed out. I really guess I should be scouting all the time.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:06 am

I feel like I'm constantly scouting. If I go to a new place and jump a buck where I think he's bedded I store that in the memory banks for another hunt. Whether in season or post or pre I'm constantly looking at the sign,

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:24 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I feel like I'm constantly scouting. If I go to a new place and jump a buck where I think he's bedded I store that in the memory banks for another hunt. Whether in season or post or pre I'm constantly looking at the sign,

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ya I think your prolly right on with this. I'm new to the "beast style" but I've read quite a few posts on here of first seasoners who seem frustrated and disappointed on there first season. But when u step back and look at the big picture...The more years you get to scout and hunt your locations And beds your only learning more info each hunt on how to finally cross paths with the big one..at least that's what I've been Getting out what I'm learning

Nathan1989

Unread postby Nathan1989 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 am

I know I'm late in the game on this but I see posts all over on the best time scout and the best time to hunt and what day here and the moon there. I'd love to have the time to pick and choose when I can do these things but truth is. Gotta work :roll: . So for me it's whatever time I'm off is the best time to ..... scout, hunt. Cuz that's gonna be it. This year I hope to be able to take a week off during the rut. Down south it seems it's a bit later so I hope I can land it right. (How do you know what week is the rut it seems every person I hear knows it to the week a year in advamce?) Just watched the scout, scout hunt video and loved it. This year my likely schedule for hunting is probably going to be the same aside from the week off at rut. So being that I only have Saturdays (occasional sick day ;) ) how could I approach approximately 14-20 sits in a hunting season? Should I be scouting half of these? 2/3s? Should I be scouting mornings, hit hot sign, and sit through the evenings. I'm not looking for a shortcut to what only experience can give me and I'm willing to out the time and work In. Just a gentle push in a definitive direction would be so appreciated. Thank yall.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Finding primary beds are challenging anytime.

I stumbled across one recently but finding areas on the map in advance is the preferred way.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”