Thermal Hubs/Converging Ridges

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Thermal Hubs/Converging Ridges

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

This however is a very large "Thermal Hub" IMO... I have no history w this spot but I cant wait to test the winds. Some revelations are happening over here so its hard to get things done at work... So I cannot wait to dive into areas w a new mindset. Hopefully im on the right track here... :?

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 am

Darkknight54 wrote:This however is a very large "Thermal Hub" IMO... I have no history w this spot but I cant wait to test the winds. Some revelations are happening over here so its hard to get things done at work... So I cannot wait to dive into areas w a new mindset. Hopefully im on the right track here... :?

Since i have watched the new hill dvd, i have been cyber scouting alot. I can seem to notice these spots a lot easier from joeRE map. I have found a spot where a know 5 or 6 big mile to 2 mile long valley converge from every direction. At the ends of these valleys are very distinctive looking thermal hubs, when looking at the topo above where all these thermal hubs are, there is a very good easy to see convection hub, witch these ridges are between these big valleys and spoke out like a wheel as its been said. I will post a image when i get back home i think it will be a good example to show! Myself im really wondering whats gonna make one hub better than the next, a food souce in the valley or just being thick is what draws these deer to them?? Are these hubs if there are more close togather. Just some questions i have to ask myself. Hope some people get to racking there brains. Its an interesting topic for sure!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I've assumed that a thermal hub is a location that due to terrain gathers falling thermals from multiple directions. When looking at a crowsfoot on a map imagine that the thermals run to lower terrain like rain water. Down the hillsides into the toes of the foot eventually into the main draw. That junction where they all come together the ankle is where a creature that has a good nose can stand and sort out which toe has which smell. That's the hub. That's how I view it anyway.

When I first read about them here I instantly related it to an area that I've been hunting for a number of years. This spot is a little bench about 20' above a creek the creek goes down along a secluded field and then makes a big S right at the end of the s is a heavily used crossing it lies at the bottom of two draws that branch out into a big V the bench sits right on the bottom of the v and the v points straight into the crossing. I initially started putting a trail camera there because of the creek crossing, but noticed that bigger bucks often hung out on a little bench just above the creek. This spot has a few things going for it, but I'm under the impression that they stage there when the thermals drop down the two draws and the creek is pulling a draft down stream in my mind where they are standing they can smell almost 180 degrees. I've seen bucks cruising the bench often it doubles as a parallel trail to multiple field edges, but where the v is they scrape annually. I've seen bucks walk up to the point of the v and just stand there and grunt. They often fight there too. I need some of that magic pixie dust so I can hunt there without getting busted.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:This however is a very large "Thermal Hub" IMO... I have no history w this spot but I cant wait to test the winds. Some revelations are happening over here so its hard to get things done at work... So I cannot wait to dive into areas w a new mindset. Hopefully im on the right track here... :?

Since i have watched the new hill dvd, i have been cyber scouting alot. I can seem to notice these spots a lot easier from joeRE map. I have found a spot where a know 5 or 6 big mile to 2 mile long valley converge from every direction. At the ends of these valleys are very distinctive looking thermal hubs, when looking at the topo above where all these thermal hubs are, there is a very good easy to see convection hub, witch these ridges are between these big valleys and spoke out like a wheel as its been said. I will post a image when i get back home i think it will be a good example to show! Myself im really wondering whats gonna make one hub better than the next, a food souce in the valley or just being thick is what draws these deer to them?? Are these hubs if there are more close togather. Just some questions i have to ask myself. Hope some people get to racking there brains. Its an interesting topic for sure!!

This is a great discussion! And Same here! Been checking maps alot this month as well.

You find Joes example easier perhaps bc of the gap between the converging ridges vs Autumn Ninja hills have different elevation features to work w. Chain ridges enchance the deer activity due to more bedding areas connected and ease of travel. More activity all together like a major interstate intersection or neighborhood. My mini hubs posts are more like single houses or apartments. If that makes any sense...

Convection is still very real and I think your probably on track w it man. Im looking for any distirbances in the terrain to judge it the best i can. The easiest feature for me is transition lines or a unique draw. The vacuum effect can be there as well w higher winds. Creeks, transitions and draws are tough w that. Powerlines are a great example.

As far as what is the "best hub" example idk really. I think one w mutiple bedding points surrounding a body of water could be interesting. The definition of a hub is the center of activity. Like you mentioned about spokes in a wheel. To expand on that definition - the reason im talking mini hubs is bc if a thermal hub in general is indeed real then the area can be broken down or enhanced.

So in turn im looking for pockets that are tough wind conditions, lingering thermals or scent, transitions, possible pooling effects, possible swirling effects, vaccum effects etc... All in one location, in some type of circular or oval fashion. I havent got to read any of Buckys info. Dan speaks about visualizing wind flowing like water. I visualize thermals in hill country as musical notes or looking ate stairs from the side view. Every barrier, bluff, transition, change in terrain adjusts the wind tunnel to different elevations. Some are gradual, some are rapid but they all work together and connect somewhere. Thats something hard to pin point without a good nose. Milkweed helps but i think a smoke bomb in different weather/time of year/and wind conditions would answer alot.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 pm

IMG_0091.JPG
Darkknight this is an area i was talking about where a few thermal hubs where close togather and a convection hub as well.
Red big circles are thermals hubs
Red dots a smaller thermal hubs
Blue lines are convection hubs

Im also trying the new beast photo gallery posting. To see how well it works :pray:

Edit-- i may need some help it looks like i tried to copy and past but it just showed the image. Ill keep trying though
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:04 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:IMG_0091.JPG
Darkknight this is an area i was talking about where a few thermal hubs where close togather and a convection hub as well.
Red big circles are thermals hubs
Red dots a smaller thermal hubs
Blue lines are convection hubs

Im also trying the new beast photo gallery posting. To see how well it works :pray:

Edit-- i may need some help it looks like i tried to copy and past but it just showed the image. Ill keep trying though

http://thehuntingbeast.com/copper/displ ... php?pid=28
Im goona keep trying til i get it
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:20 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Im really starting to get a lil confused, i was thinking i had a good graps on the thermal hub and convection hub thing. I too like many others have some questions about joeRe discusion on the dvd but was waiting for everybody to get a chance to see it. I hope someone get a good thread goin!

Darknight. In your last map pic. You where the blue line. Was you set up for the leewind of the day and bucks where coming up out of the hub in the mid morning and later times or just early morning? And im asuming those orange circle were doe bedding? Some seem low to me but doe bedding would explain it.

Image This is the map i have been trying to get up!! :clap:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:Im really starting to get a lil confused, i was thinking i had a good graps on the thermal hub and convection hub thing. I too like many others have some questions about joeRe discusion on the dvd but was waiting for everybody to get a chance to see it. I hope someone get a good thread goin!

Darknight. In your last map pic. You where the blue line. Was you set up for the leewind of the day and bucks where coming up out of the hub in the mid morning and later times or just early morning? And im asuming those orange circle were doe bedding? Some seem low to me but doe bedding would explain it.

Image This is the map i have been trying to get up!! :clap:

That looks great! Great mapping U of L
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:25 am

If you are capable of doing it go to a thermal hub or crows foot and GPS track record the deer trails then overlay them onto a topo map. You will then have a visual of how the terrain is used. I have a hard time looking at a topo and visualising the paths of least resistance through concave terrain. I also am not computer savy enough to overlay trails on maps, something I need to work on. But after walking around in a few places you start to put it together. Snow really helps. I really like when there's just enough to cover the ground and it stays for a week or so. You get to see all of the tracks plus you can see light trails that haven't been walked on easier with snow highlighting them.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I hope I'm not getting to off topic but along with thermal hubs we also see a lot of bowls. It's, in my understanding a hub but because of how points or ridge lines run create a huge wind swirl. It's where you seem to find some of our most consistent buck bedding. The blue mark is an example of where a buck will bed and because of how the cuts pull the wind, the deer can smell almost a 360 degree area. What do you guys think.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 am

blizzardhunter wrote:I hope I'm not getting to off topic but along with thermal hubs we also see a lot of bowls. It's, in my understanding a hub but because of how points or ridge lines run create a huge wind swirl. It's where you seem to find some of our most consistent buck bedding. The blue mark is an example of where a buck will bed and because of how the cuts pull the wind, the deer can smell almost a 360 degree area. What do you guys think.

Blizzard how hard do you think the thermal pull off that lake is? Ive cyber scouted some places that some what look familiar and wondered if being that close to a big water sorce would have a big thermal effect diffrence that would counter act the normal thermal pull for a spot like that. I would figure that evening thermal drop would be alot stouter than one with no water around, and being dan says on islands the water thermal sucks air from the island to the water. But i was wondering about when the thermals rise, will that push be lil bit diffrent, or is there just some stuff goining around the water that i dont know about???
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 am

Blizzard that spot looks like it would have some interesting thermals for sure. I bet the big saddle to the east of the blue bed mark is slam dunk city especially if it's oaks and bushy.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:52 am

I don't have a lot of experience with these places but I know a couple that are great hunting. The one I posted isn't one I'm familiar with, it was just a quick example of what I'm talking about. Where I'm at the main ridge line is up and down. Almost like a set of knolls connected by small saddles. On top of that we have points everywhere off both sides of the ridgeline. What I have noticed and kind of group in with the thermal hub is what we call a bowl. You have two longer points that usually run somewhat toward one another. Basically atleast one point is not perfectly perpendicular to the ridge line. In between those two points there is one or many smaller, more subtle points. Add into that there is usually a dip or two in the elevation on the main ridgeline. What you end up with is a washing machine of wind currents. With the dips in the top elevation and the angles the points are coming off the main ridge, every breeze swirls, pushes, and pulls air. To me it is similar to a hub, because it allows a deer to scent check almost 360 degrees. As far as how the water effects thermals I can't really help you. Right now I'm just trying to survive hunting ridge country. I do believe it has an effect, but I don't think it effects it as much as you would think. The pic I posted earlier makes it look like the bed area is close to the water but in reality is about 400 yards. This area is probably the most difficult place I've ever hunted because the wind/thermals are so strange.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 am

blizzardhunter wrote:I hope I'm not getting to off topic but along with thermal hubs we also see a lot of bowls. It's, in my understanding a hub but because of how points or ridge lines run create a huge wind swirl. It's where you seem to find some of our most consistent buck bedding. The blue mark is an example of where a buck will bed and because of how the cuts pull the wind, the deer can smell almost a 360 degree area. What do you guys think.

That spot looks awesome and the water coming inland a bit looks great. If you go in it next off season check it w some milkweed if you can on the 1/3 then go to the bottoms and try it. That spot to the S of it where the county line runs through looks cool. Ill bet if you expand your map and look, you might find examples like UofL & Autumn Ninja shared as well bc your guys' terrain looks similar. Could actually have multiple thermal bowls surrounding a chain ridge intersection somewhere around. I think those examples are the best types bc of the deer activity especially for cruising bucks. It seems you guys dont have any issues w saddles in those hills.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 am

Thermal hubs aren't just good for hill country, I find a lot of thermal hubs that spill into larger swamps. Think a crows foot or V-shaped valley where a buck can bed down low in a swamp and get a nose full of the high ground before ever stepping a foot on it. These places aren't easy to hunt because they can smell the high ground, not to mention the wind swirls causing some trouble but if you get out there where they are bedding you can setup with the thermal in your favor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”