A common mistake of the rookie Beast

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: A common mistake of the rookie Beast

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Exceptional point lockdown!!!
I made this exact error the first 3 or 4 years of my following Beast scouting/hunting.

Now,... I scout with three mini sticks in my pack. These sticks have 21" loop straps hanging below them so I can reach any height I need to "set up"... if I find a spot where a mature buck feels comfortable. I will then set up spots (trees usually) where I can kill him. The access route, however, I may or may not have time (or gumption) to establish. The access routes are just as important as the stand tree but they do require a substantial amount of effort. I find I am more efficient with my time and energy if I study the various aerials before I commit to an exact route. Which means coming back another day! Half of the time Google Earth has aerials that help in selecting the easiest "seam" thru nasty cover, the other half, I need to walk the terrain and record the easiest track. I save the track on my GPS for unerring travel.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm

Wlog wrote:
2. How can I keep tabs on this spot? Is there a place I can observe from a distance to know this bed is getting used? If not, is there a place I can look for tracks/sign that tells me it's getting used without disturbing the deer? Is a camera an option?

This is another important step. I did not do a good job of this last spring. I don't have time to scout a bunch of new stuff this year so I'm concentrating on existing stuff, but since most of my beds and kill trees are already found my #1 thing when I'm out there is figuring out where I can observe from if its even possible.

I have a few areas that hold bucks with some predictability early season, and those are the ones I'm REALLY focusing on for observation stands. No better time to observe than the week before the season starts.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Dewey wrote:Unfortunately prepping is not possible for many of us on public land since we legally cannot trim out trees and alter the landscape in any way.

I know this topic was discussed a little in a ground thread a while back. Around here we have buckthorn infestation pretty bad. If I didn't trim some spindly stuff out of the way I wouldn't be able to shoot. That's not stretching it either, I can think of multiple sets off the top of my head where I hung my stand and couldn't cover ANY of the trails. That said, all my trimming is done on the smallest branches possible in the most discrete way possible. I'm not lopping 2" branches off on public or anything like that.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Wlog wrote:Now things are different. I'm getting to the point where I can easily identify the bedding for what it is. Even being able to look at something from 75 yards away and saying to yourself "I bet there's a bed right there". When you get to the point where you can recognize a likely bed from a distance then you walk over and sure enough, there's a bed right where you pointed to, man you're confidence will soar. At that point it becomes a lot easier to focus on your setups.

I love that feeling! I was scouting with my brother in law this fall before a draw hunt we both had, and I called a buck bed from a distance and walked right to it. Big confidence boost no doubt.
Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:31 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:Or you spend the off season clearing kill trees, clearing paths, planning your entrance...and never hunt the area. :D I have done plenty of that.

Guilty of this also. I didn't get to hunt what I still feel was my best prepped spot this season, because it's a west wind, morning only, early to mid-season scenario and I wasn't able to hunt on any such days.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:39 am

oldrank wrote:Access, access access !!!! Nothing hurts me worse than not having the right route in. This is what I plan on working on this spring more than anything.
this is my 2017 goal also
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:24 am

That's one of my preseason goals this year is to figure out how to access the right spots and when to do so. Being comfortable with a spot is very important as we are often accessing or leaving in the dark. Once you've been through the area a time or two you will be more effective at hunting the area. Also paying attention to what the wind is doing in those spots while scouting can save some time.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 am

Great POST! This was/is still totally me!! I joined the beast last summer and immediately went out and found beds. I was so excited to find a worn out bed with hair in it that I thought man i better get outta here before i put out too much scent so I bailed and never came back till season. Had no tree picked out/shooting lanes didn't exist. All the years I've bow hunted you'd think i woulda had that taken care of but i didn't. To make matters worse the big boy never showed up after 9/18 so it must have just been a summer bed. This weekend I was out after doing some cyber scouting. I found beds currently being used in areas I've never been just a hunch based on cyber scouting. The hunting season is over but late scouting has never been so much fun. THE BEAST gave me the confidence to get out there and get it done. I was walking leeward on ridges 1/3 from the top and yep! there's a bed! There's another! Hanging cameras in them to see what's using them... and also taking the time to pick out trees to climb and get in and out easily, however I may need to get in and out, straight line or zig zag thru the woods i'll do it.

Years past I would call bedding just a random spot a deer bedded. NOT ANY MORE!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Great post. I am totally guilty of this. Found the beds, got excited and failed to do plan the approach. This year will be different.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 pm

In the past I've always been a "power scouter" in that I would try to cover as much ground as I could during a scouting trip. Sure, I would find the sign, but didn't always pick out and prep the tree and access.

No more....scouting missions are going to be way more methodical. Find the bedding, choose the kill tree, choose the access, and note all details so I'm ready to go come season.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 am

For me planning the access routes are the biggest problem. Some of the areas are so thick I can only access on deer trails. I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot doing that. I definitely need to do some observations sits to pinpoint the specific trails the bucks are using.

Before last season I stepped my scouting up bigtime. Looking back, I still feel I didn't do enough. So this year I'm scouting solid Jan. thru July. I won't make that mistake again! I've already scouted 3 new areas in Jan. along with prepping numerous kill trees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Unfortunately for me, my schedule doesn't allow for me to get much scouting in. School, work and other priorities take up large amounts of time. Not to mention where I hunt is a solid 4 hour drive. However, I might be able to get a week where I can go scout all day every day in about a month. Anxiously cyber scouting during any free time I can so I don't waste a day. Moving on from the hardwoods and the all night deer parties up there and diving into the swamps. The aerial I posted in my journal looks really promising to me. I honestly think I can find multiple spots for any wind, and have multiple access points that I can use. Just need to go out and confirm my thoughts and prep trees. Also have a couple other areas that intrigue me. Oak islands back in the swamps :L: :L: :L:

But the next month is really going to be hectic for me. On top of my daily assignments, I also have 2 design projects for school, exams, finals, girlfriend is turning 21 this week. Going to be one busy guy really quick. But the beast will always be one of my open tabs. Need something to get me through the day :mrgreen:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 pm

I've been thinking about access on ever bed I've found this year. I never gave it too much thought before, I guess in my mind I was but in reality I wasn't.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Good post Lockdown.

Ack wrote:In the past I've always been a "power scouter" in that I would try to cover as much ground as I could during a scouting trip. Sure, I would find the sign, but didn't always pick out and prep the tree and access.

No more....scouting missions are going to be way more methodical. Find the bedding, choose the kill tree, choose the access, and note all details so I'm ready to go come season.

This is my motto for this year's scouting season. I have 20 bedding points that will turn into around 35 trees to prep for bed hunts and rut cruising. The plan is all marked on the map, now to just find the time to make it happen. 10 down, 25 to go.

As others have mentioned, I think this is the natural progression of a beast hunter as you gain experience. I too would go out and find as many beds as possible. It is fun (and kind of addictive) and definitely a confidence builder when you can look at map and know where they should be. When it came time to hunt I didn't have an exact tree picked but knew the general area that I needed to be. I had success seeing deer come out of bedding but couldn't seal the deal because shooting lanes weren't cut or I got winded. But the good news is now I have this nice inventory of beds and a better idea of how I should be setting up on them. My problem is I can be very indecisive and can sit there looking at the situation forever. But with experience and confidence it's becoming easier and shouldn't really be that difficult. There are the beds, there are the exit trails, pick a tree where I can sneak in the closest (hardest part for me), now set it up. Don't walk away to think about it some more. It may not be the perfect tree. Learn from your mistakes, adjust, and try again.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 am

This is a great topic want to keep it bumped this should be a sticky.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”