A common mistake of the rookie Beast

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: A common mistake of the rookie Beast

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:43 am

hear is another j hook story this one was my biggest buck to date a monster super wide 5.5 year old NJ ten point. every year I would get this super wide buck on a corn pile at 1 in morning in my back yard. two weeks before muzzleloader season ended he would come in with a giant doe and a tall narrow 4 year old buck I tracked this buck over a mile to a small isolated swamp that was about five acers in size. I circled the swamp and figured out his entry trails without blowing him out. their was about a foot and half or frozen crust snow on ground I hung a camera about 200 hundred yards from the swamp on his travel trail. waited a weak and checked the camera. holy cow this buck was in his bed at 4 in morning and leaving that bed well after dark every day. how am I going to kill this deer. so the wait began for more snow. day before the last day of season new years eave I got my blessing it snowed hard from 4 in afternoon till midnight. I was up that night with my friends to three in morning I did not drink a drop. cuz I new this could happen. left the party and put on my gear and climber and headed off into the snow. I post holed my way back that whole mile and set up a hundred yards off the swamp on down wind side. was a north wind the buck came down his trail wind too his back following the big doe and tall buck about a hundred yards behind. made his j hook behind the swamp.i shot the deer broad side at 80 yards trying to enter too his bed. he was a short tine ten that was 21 inside and weighed 205 after the rut. this was with five minuets of daylight on the last day of muzzleloader season. o and I killed that tall 8 opening day of muzzleloader out of same tree the following year.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 am

ghoasthunter wrote:ok hear was the layout I was up on a mountain that runs north too south. chest nut oaks were the only oaks that droped that year and only in the high elevation. the high point where the does were bedding and feeding was the same area but it was lacking cover for good buck bedding. off the west side the ridge dropped into a long narrow bulrush swamp that went even with the whole high ridge for about half a mile. west of the swamp was a hiking trail that also ran with the swamp. on the south end of swamp was a spring brook that fed it. the spring brook was traveling south up into a large saddle. think of a big horseshoe that cupped the end of swamp creating a point on west side. that point overlooked the south end of swamp and the hiking trail held the buck bed. and the only access into that spot was below that point. the bucks travel off top of oak ridge drop down too the swamp run the rocks on the edge south bound and make a giant scape along the end of swamp every year. I found the bed last year. fifty yards south of that was a hooking rub line leading to point. from the bucks bed he could see his scrape and watch it all day. I waited for a north east wind for this bed and could only approach it in mornings. I got in 2 hours before sunrise walked the west side of the swamp cut into the bull rushes fifty yards before the swamp end and (walked in the brook) all the way past the scrape and rubs along the brook. cut off brook and did my own j hook behind the bucks rub line and setup a 100 yards behind his bed strait down wind. I shot the buck at 8 in morning on his rub line headed to bed at 10 yards.

thanks for the explanation ghost.. Most of my hunt times have to be mornings and this year I struggled finding bedding that I could get in and be waiting for the deer. You mentioned weather fronts and other variables that would keep the bucks up a little longer. I think I need to capitalize on those a little more this season. The few morning hunts I tried sneaking in beds I found even with hour and half before crack of light i was blowing them out. I mostly focused on funnels in the morning inbetween the doe bedding and I hunted beds the few nights I could get out. I like that you said 8 bucks in 8 years all using this method it give me hope that I can kill opne in the hills like that. I have heard a few others that have killed like that. One guy was on the 9 finger chronicle ironically from NJ.... that you? forgive me i forgot the guys real name
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

I hunt mornings same as you most the time. good beds to hunt in morning are also ones you cant approach for a afternoon sit got to try them some how. that nine fingers guy is someone else.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:44 pm

also I've seen a lot of bucks bed in morning at first lite in mountains they seem to like that gray light period think it has to do with their vision is best at gray light.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I think lockdown’s OP hit the nail on the head. We’ve all been guilty of too much bed hunting and neglecting the prep work going in to making a proper bed hunt. I didn’t have many specific beds picked out this past year but I focused more on getting close to specific bedding areas and observing what was using them and what direction they came from. Can’t say that I didn’t get lucky but I know I could’ve done better even on observation sits. You can look back in the live from the field thread see where I mentioned struggling at finding trees and getting set up numerous times. In the end, as long as you’re making mistakes and trying to correct them you’re making progress.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Old Ireland

Unread postby Old Ireland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am

Awesome thread! This will be my first year hunting beds and using beast tactics and I've found I enjoy scouting as much as hunting which is a issue since I'm wanting to bounce all over and check out all these new spots without being precise about the sets I choose but I'm getting better but I really need to do more site prep and figure out cleaner access routes. I've been cyber scouting this week and working backwards by finding spots that I can access clean. Then I look for terrain that sets up for good bedding. Going to see how that pans out this weekend. Does anyone rake a trail to their sets?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Old Ireland wrote:Awesome thread! This will be my first year hunting beds and using beast tactics and I've found I enjoy scouting as much as hunting which is a issue since I'm wanting to bounce all over and check out all these new spots without being precise about the sets I choose but I'm getting better but I really need to do more site prep and figure out cleaner access routes. I've been cyber scouting this week and working backwards by finding spots that I can access clean. Then I look for terrain that sets up for good bedding. Going to see how that pans out this weekend. Does anyone rake a trail to their sets?

On private land I have. Not on public.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Found this thread at the perfect time. I joined the beast and immediately adapted this method. I have started scouting and am falling into the "Ill be back trend" and I have way to many spots ahead of me. This thread has me regrouping and trimming down the plan. Thanks LD
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

sdonx wrote:Found this thread at the perfect time. I joined the beast and immediately adapted this method. I have started scouting and am falling into the "Ill be back trend" and I have way to many spots ahead of me. This thread has me regrouping and trimming down the plan. Thanks LD

Glad you found it helpful.

I’m going to pound the access part into your heads again. Here’s what I do. Speed scout find the spot. Re-check aerials to verify what I think I saw. Go in with stand pick a tree and get it hunt ready. (I put a little notch in the bark with my saw so I know where to set the batwing and exactly which direction to face my platform. Then when I’m happy I pack up THEN re-enter with my stand on my back. Clear the sticks from the ground, possibly even lay sticks on the ground indicating my path (I’ve prepped access trails then not been able to find the EXACT trail after new leaf drop... being 2’ off might mean snapping twigs you can’t see). Then when I think I’m done I give it one last test run.

I like to feel like there’s nothing else I can do to make a set better. That gives me TONS of confidence.

Remember... access should feel easy, not like your walking an obstacle course. I’ve found it’s easier to go crazy slow on hunt day when everything is going good and you’re moving along quietly. If I’m loud I tend to get frustrated. Frustration does not breed patience.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Lockdown wrote:
sdonx wrote:Found this thread at the perfect time. I joined the beast and immediately adapted this method. I have started scouting and am falling into the "Ill be back trend" and I have way to many spots ahead of me. This thread has me regrouping and trimming down the plan. Thanks LD

Glad you found it helpful.

I’m going to pound the access part into your heads again. Here’s what I do. Speed scout find the spot. Re-check aerials to verify what I think I saw. Go in with stand pick a tree and get it hunt ready. (I put a little notch in the bark with my saw so I know where to set the batwing and exactly which direction to face my platform. Then when I’m happy I pack up THEN re-enter with my stand on my back. Clear the sticks from the ground, possibly even lay sticks on the ground indicating my path (I’ve prepped access trails then not been able to find the EXACT trail after new leaf drop... being 2’ off might mean snapping twigs you can’t see). Then when I think I’m done I give it one last test run.

I like to feel like there’s nothing else I can do to make a set better. That gives me TONS of confidence.

Remember... access should feel easy, not like your walking an obstacle course. I’ve found it’s easier to go crazy slow on hunt day when everything is going good and you’re moving along quietly. If I’m loud I tend to get frustrated. Frustration does not breed patience.

This rings so true to me also! I definitely "under-prepped" the access to some of my spots. And felt like a bull in a china shop heading to hunt because of it. The view you see now with everything dead, is nothing like "full-foliage" will look like in Sept! You can never be too prepared!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Did a 4 miles and a full prep on two spots Wednesday, and still have plenty more to do.....no rest for the wicked!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for this thread and the ground hunting thread Lockdown. I've been prepping a ton of ground blinds because I can't find good trees because of the thick canopy in a lot of these swamp areas. The access prep is something that I need to do a better job of. Thanks for the reminder!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 am

Twenty Up wrote:Great thread :clap:

I'd consider myself a rookie beast and have been making mistakes since day #1, but to me it's only a mistake if you do not learn from it & continue to do so.

That being said I've devised a strategy that seems to help

#1. Online scouting areas
I find that if I scout an area with caltopo, choose a couple ridges that "look good" and go in to check them out I find buck beds. I'm at 100% so far this season finding either a seasonal or main bed. However on the flip side if I decide to skip the caltopo/online scouting and just walk a new area and pick & choose ridges from my GPS my success goes wayyyy down. I'll find a doe bed or an immature buck bed and that's it. Preparation before you even get in the truck can make or break your scouting trip.

#2. Have a Plan & Stick With it
Generally speaking this coincides with #1 in that I'll choose ridges and work methodically from N to S, E to W or however the terrain lays. This helps me locate sign a lot faster and use my limited time more efficiently with locating spots worthy of hunting. Without having a plan my confidence goes down and I'll look at my GPS thinking "this looks good, but so does this..."

#3. Look
Sounds stupid but I get caught up with power scouting and have literally walked into buck beds without realizing it. Slowly scan the area, follow the sign and pay attention to what elevation or foliage the beds are at. Once you find a bed, stay with that elevation and keep looking for more.

#4. Knowing What's Worthy
I struggle with this the most, by far. Being new to beast scouting sometimes I'll plan a hunt around a younger buck or I'll pass up a good spot and not realize it till much later. Then you have to decide if it's worth going back second time to figure it all out & find a good tree. This also goes with scouting too fast, think about it and follow your gut. I feel this is something that comes with experience but it helps if you are taking your time.

Most importantly have fun, it's not always about finding the biggest bucks or sheds. Take the dog or your family out to enjoy the outdoors and His creations.

Great post man. Excellent
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:57 am

This thread speaks to me. My struggle is that I do not yet have complete confidence that bedding areas I find are the "Best" in the area. Therefore I do not immediately prep a tree and continue to scout trying to find those "best" spots. It seems like I never end up prepping anything at all at the time, when looking back I should have found multiple trees to hunt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:28 am

Tempy wrote:This thread speaks to me. My struggle is that I do not yet have complete confidence that bedding areas I find are the "Best" in the area. Therefore I do not immediately prep a tree and continue to scout trying to find those "best" spots. It seems like I never end up prepping anything at all at the time, when looking back I should have found multiple trees to hunt

It's better spending a little time, and prepping kill tree's in the bedding areas you're finding right away. If you find better and never go back, nothing hurt.

I probably have 60+ spots prepped. I've maybe only hunted 3/4 of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”