Property lines....!!!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Property lines....!!!

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:18 pm

I need some help importing property lines into caltopo anyone know how to do this?

KLEMZ

Re: Property lines....!!!

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey TNstalker, one way to do this is to draw a path on google earth, save it as a KMZ file, and then import that KMZ file into caltopo. I can give more detail later if you need, just ask.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 am

Could I copy an link or gps cordinates from another site an import?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 am

I haven't tried this yet, but if your DNR has a map program showing public land, open it along with caltopo as a split screen and have them both as aerials and just manually draw the boundaries. Will try this when I have more time. Wisconsin has a really neat system for it and you can look at different types of public and have them marked on an aerial photo. Would make it real easy to copy over.

I think bowhunter 15 mentioned something similar as well in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXJ2byJuz3o

Really any other option besides drawing yourself will cost some money. I have to look into it more, but when if you have a gps, onx maps makes a SD chip you put in your gps that will have topos and public land boundaries. It also comes with a chip reader you can put in any standard computer. You should be able to open that up and get it on to google earth. The chip will cost you $100 though. Again, haven't tried this either. Need some free time.

Good luck!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
graywarrant

Unread postby graywarrant » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm

TNstalker wrote:I need some help importing property lines into caltopo anyone know how to do this?

Many counties offer GIS mapping data for tax records search and other uses. Several that I have used also allow you to select multiple properties and then export that selection out as a KML/KMZ file.

CalTopo allows for the import of KML/KMZ files.

Find your county GIS/mapping service
Determine how to select property boundaries/multiple boundaries
Export that data as a KML/KMZ
Import into CalTopo
Save in CalTopo

Ray
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 pm

If you use mytopo.com you can layer property lines in. You have to custom design the map and then preview it. Takes a bit to learn their system but it works well once you do. That or you can use OnX maps which is pretty sweet. Costs $30 a year after the free 7 day trial and that has all the plat info

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”