Great scouting trip

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlfpckhuntr27

Great scouting trip

Unread postby Wlfpckhuntr27 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Today I decided to check out a piece of public ground I grouse hunted a few years back. It is choked with mountain laurel and rhododendrons until you hit the last 100 foot in elevation on the ridge. I figured the nastiness of the cover would deter most people and the fact I have not heard many people talk about it,may make it a good option. The terrain is really good (not crazy steep) for around here.

I proceeded to pour over the topo maps last night and mark benches, possible bedding areas and pinch points based on terrain. Once I arrived I found one side of the road was actually marked to be part of the public ground, so I started off there, walking blindly. I was able to find several beds on finger ridges about the 2/3 elevation line. I wasn't impressed since the beds were not heavily worn and only made mental notes.

Once I started in on the area I studied I was pleased to find exactly what I was looking for. Not only did I find several well used beds where I figured to find them, but being a plant lover I also found wild blueberries and American chestnut trees everywhere. Of course I was not able to find a mature chestnut but it was nice to see so many young trees (up to 7' tall). I also got to see my first bear in the wild! I have been wanting to see one ever since I moved to the mountains in 2005.

The real surprise is one I did not think was going to come. I had marked this little isolated knoll and saved it for last. I approached the knoll on a faint game trail but still had to fight my way in, through the rodos and laurel. Being 6'3" and 220# I am not as small or a nimble as a deer. I was disappointed to not find beds right away but I remembered something I noticed up on the main ridge; all of the trees were blown down with a NE wind. We typically get our strongest winds in the winter but our predominate wind is a WNW wind. Could it be that this area has a more NE wind? I decided I was going to check every square inch of this knoll prior to leaving, especially since I found good buck sign in what I would consider a small swag entering into the knoll. Well, wouldn't you know, I found several good beds, large and well worn near the center of the knoll, looking SW to S, indicating deer are bedding there with a N-NE wind and looking back toward the road.

Since time was running out on me I fought my way down the hill to the car so I could make it to coach softball practice. I marked a few kill trees that I thought I could get in and be close enough without tipping my hand. The problem is I was not able to plan a route in to the area that would allow me to get in without sounding like a buffalo bucking his way through a thicket. I guess I have an excuse to make another trip.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Great scouting trip

Unread postby dan » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Good trip. 8-)
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed May 31, 2017 11:31 am

Sounds like you made a trip that could pay off :dance: a piece of the puzzle, but one step close to a mountain Buck. Feels good when you go in and find what you set out to do! Good trip! :clap: :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:43 am

Glad you found another piece of the puzzle. Good luck working out your access
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 am

8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:22 pm

Sounds like a good trip. Good luck this season!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Awesome find. Great job recognizing the alternate prevailing winds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”