A scrape with no branch?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

A scrape with no branch?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 am

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/displ ... fullsize=1

Do you guys ever come across this? Paw marks in it like a normal scrape but it didn't have the classic licking branch. It was at an intersection of 2 deer trails on the 1/3 elevation. Seems like it gets used pretty often.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
northeast beast

Re: A scrape with no branch?

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:10 am

Great question I scouted yesterday and found what I thought was old scrapes but the licking branch was gone or was super high the deer would have to get on his back legs...and the branches were dead ..wondering if others see this...my experience was also hill country
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:37 am

Buck lay down alot of scrapes randomly. Some of them are made while following a doe not quite in heat yet. They will scrape where the do peed. Some are just made in frustration because she's not ready yet. I haven't witnessed it but another buck coming behind later may also work these scrapes. But they carry no significance for next season.

Lots of licking branches are only reached. While the bucks stand on their hind legs. Old broken dead limbs is a good sign. It usually indicates perennial use.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:43 am

I've seen them pop up. They usually won't get repeat visits without a licking branch. I think their made from frustration rather than communication without the licking branch.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I have seen many of them over the years and witnessed bucks making them. Often times I believe them to be random. I focus on scrapes in thick cover with licking branches. My cameras over the years haven't shown much excitement over scrapes without the branch
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 am

Yes i have seen it. Is it possible there is another scrape with a branch nearby?
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:28 am

hunter_mike wrote:Yes i have seen it. Is it possible there is another scrape with a branch nearby?

-Yes there are but not on that elevation (that I noticed anyway)

This area is a large thermal hub where there are converging ridges. I saw most of the scraps down low near the creek bottom on an old logging road that runs parallel with the creek. Classic broken licking branches on them. Look heavily used but I imagine they'll be mostly used at night, bc lots of hunter sign on that logging road too. Up high on the 1/3 of the ridge is where I found this scrape. only 10 yards from the military crest right smack in the intersection of two heavily used deer trails. These deer trails are perfectly parallel to the military crest. I think it's a prime spot! 75 yards away in each direction of the two trails are very small points off the ridge with bedding. I confirmed with belly hairs on the ground and also jumped one laying in the other bedding area. So I'm holding high regard with this scrape even though its not a classic licking branch scrape. Its odd but there's got to be a lot of deer that work it or pass by it.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am

rfickes87 wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Yes i have seen it. Is it possible there is another scrape with a branch nearby?

-Yes there are but not on that elevation (that I noticed anyway)

This area is a large thermal hub where there are converging ridges. I saw most of the scraps down low near the creek bottom on an old logging road that runs parallel with the creek. Classic broken licking branches on them. Look heavily used but I imagine they'll be mostly used at night, bc lots of hunter sign on that logging road too. Up high on the 1/3 of the ridge is where I found this scrape. only 10 yards from the military crest right smack in the intersection of two heavily used deer trails. These deer trails are perfectly parallel to the military crest. I think it's a prime spot! 75 yards away in each direction of the two trails are very small points off the ridge with bedding. I confirmed with belly hairs on the ground and also jumped one laying in the other bedding area. So I'm holding high regard with this scrape even though its not a classic licking branch scrape. Its odd but there's got to be a lot of deer that work it or pass by it.

That sounds good. Yeah if you have that good of a feeling about it, i bet you are right on the money. Wouldn't worry that theres not a licking branch at that spot. Those deer passing thru there on the regular im sure can smell enough of each other. Sounds like the scrape is not a destination for the deer there, more like the scrape is just a product of the location, with so many deer working their way thru they made a scrape even though there isnt a perfect brach there for them to work over
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:38 am

I used to hunt a lot of scrapes with no branch in my younger days. I heard bucks at them before daylight but never after daylight.

I think scrapes with licking branches that are in close proximity to bedding are the best ones.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 am

Like Dan always says "always and never" don't apply to mature bucks. Maybe, just maybe this is an odd scrape situation with no licking branch. Might be worth keeping an eye on, but don't be surprised if you don't see it used.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”