How to beat the thermals?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

How to beat the thermals?

Unread postby Octang » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm getting thwarted by thermals in one of my most promising scouting locations, and I don't really know how to hunt this in the evening without my scent giving me away.

As you can see by my state of the art illustration. There is a small lake, surrounded by marsh where deer bed, surrounded by a hillside. On opening day I hunted the funnel leaving the marsh with a south wind, but the thermals won and still pulled my scent down the hill towards the bedding. I want to work my way down into the marsh more and set up, but I don't want to blow the spot with the thermals pulling my scent into bedding.

I obviously can't hunt this on a north wind, and I am afraid if the E or W wind is too gentle, the thermals will take over just like on my hunt with the south wind. Is my only shot at hunting this going to be on a windy day where the wind is stronger than the thrermals? Or is there something else I am missing.

mathews418

Re: How to beat the thermals?

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but doesn't the thermals always fall from the top and collect in the bottom. So if your on the high ground your thermals will fall in the evening straight down the slope. im still wet behind the ears when it comes to beast hunting and I am positive your going to get a much better answer, however I agree with you on waiting for a strong east or west wind that will over power the thermals.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm

That one stand location next to Hill and Marsh might be the ticket, have to get off the side of the thermals and see is something comes in range. Every other spot the likely bust you, even then they still might get you, maybe a spot to try a morning hunt? Any detailed topos of the area? There might be some extra details there that could lead to a better stand location. Exact bed locations also help big time, you might have to slip into the marsh and setup close from the ground to get them too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm

You will never beat the thermals hunting that HILLSIDE in the evening. Thermals will always be there its a given. You said you would never hunt there on a north wind, but in truth that's exactly what your doing because by design that hill will have a north wind current every time the wind calms in the evening. The only way to hunt it in the eveningis to get down below the dropping thermals and into the marsh.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 am

dan wrote:You will never beat the thermals hunting that HILLSIDE in the evening. Thermals will always be there its a given. You said you would never hunt there on a north wind, but in truth that's exactly what your doing because by design that hill will have a north wind current every time the wind calms in the evening. The only way to hunt it in the eveningis to get down below the dropping thermals and into the marsh.

Thanks Dan. That's helpful. Some of my scouted stand locations are off the hillside at the edge of the marsh so I'll test those out. Do I need to be concerned about the thermals pulling my scent towards the lake when I am at marsh level?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 am

I’d bring your eastern most stand site down to the north west corner of the lake with a north west wind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 am

Octang wrote:
dan wrote:You will never beat the thermals hunting that HILLSIDE in the evening. Thermals will always be there its a given. You said you would never hunt there on a north wind, but in truth that's exactly what your doing because by design that hill will have a north wind current every time the wind calms in the evening. The only way to hunt it in the eveningis to get down below the dropping thermals and into the marsh.

Thanks Dan. That's helpful. Some of my scouted stand locations are off the hillside at the edge of the marsh so I'll test those out. Do I need to be concerned about the thermals pulling my scent towards the lake when I am at marsh level?

Depends on the water temp, I would expect either no effect or push away, cause the lake water is likely colder than the air, not warmer. If your right at the base of the hill, your still going to have thermal drop issues.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 am

I might be completely off trying to hunt this but with the thermals rising when enter and falling forwards lake in evening.

I would setup on a north wind just below the thermal tunnel where it hits marsh edge.

This setup low might be really rough if the wind swirls. Looks impossible to hunt the hillside.

I'm no expert this is how I would try to hunt it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”