What does a bed tell you?? (HILL COUNTRY)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

What does a bed tell you?? (HILL COUNTRY)

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am

PA PUBLIC HILL COUNTRY - FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER ARCHERY SEASON.

My third sit of the season, I noticed from my tree that there were several rubs nearby. I noticed all the rubs were where the ridge comes to a point. I was kind of kicking myself from the stand thinking that I should have pre-scouted it for bedding...

I got down from the tree later that day and checked out those rubs. There were about dozen within 15ft of each other and sure enough there were two good sized beds right in the middle of them. Perfectly positioned on that point. Even more to that deer's favor is this perfect back cover b/c the entire top of the ridge was once clear cut and now its real thick and nasty, impossible to walk thru. So this deer really has it made in this spot which is also very remote.

Now... being that there are several rubs (all small sized too) would you guys say this is a young buck making all these rubs? or since "the bed is right where it should be" as I've heard Dan say, do you guys think it could be used by a mature buck? OR both?

I also found another bed on another small point about 500 yards away, belly hair in this one too. I DID NOT take any pictures of it, I forgot to. However that bed also was right where it should be. On a remote point on the 1/3 el. and again with perfect thick back cover and a view downhill. Just like the beds I posted above. But whats different is there are no fresh rubs. But I did follow a BIG old rub line (coming in/out only 20-30 yards from the bed) that got me really excited. Very large rubs. But from at least last year or older. That seemed really promising to me b/c at least it told me that a big buck definitely used this point to bed in the past.

So I'm actually more excited to hunt that other bed than this one above that has the fresh rubs. Do you guys agree???

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
rfickes87
500 Club

Re: What does a bed tell you?? (HILL COUNTRY)

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 am

Anyone care to comment? Geesh, I thought I made a good post but got nothing but crickets so far! :roll:
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 am

Small bucks make small rubs. Big bucks make big AND small rubs. Being the beginning of the season I don't doubt it is a big buck but hasn't gotten into the full rut swing yet and become aggressive enough to take on a big tree. I always look past the rub. Look for marks on the ground where his antlers could have touched. Look at the brush surrounding the rub, is any of it nicked up? This alone may give you an idea of the size of it's rack. If this is a primary bed/bedding area and there is a big buck in the area it will use it and kick out the younger bucks. Only time and observation will tell you that though. This does look like a prime local for a dominant buck bed and the bed itself looks impressive. IF INDEED this doesn't have a mature buck using it I certainly would love to see the bed in this area he is using..... :o

One last thing. Experience and observation has taught me that little bucks start to rub first. This isn't an absolute but like a male puppy that gets the first wind of a female starting her heat cycle, he goes nuts. The old dogs know when to get serious. Again this isn't a rule and may not do anything to help you out but it is simple observation.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:14 am

Ragingun wrote:Small bucks make small rubs. Big bucks make big AND small rubs. Being the beginning of the season I don't doubt it is a big buck but hasn't gotten into the full rut swing yet and become aggressive enough to take on a big tree. I always look past the rub. Look for marks on the ground where his antlers could have touched. Look at the brush surrounding the rub, is any of it nicked up? This alone may give you an idea of the size of it's rack. If this is a primary bed/bedding area and there is a big buck in the area it will use it and kick out the younger bucks. Only time and observation will tell you that though. This does look like a prime local for a dominant buck bed and the bed itself looks impressive. IF INDEED this doesn't have a mature buck using it I certainly would love to see the bed in this area he is using..... :o

Thanks man! I didn't consider looking at that before. Will do next time!
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 am

:handgestures-thumbupright:
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

Was that your third sit near those beds? If so, I would worry that the buck has busted out due to residual scent. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Are there any fresh tracks to indicate it is currently being used (maybe too dry)?

If that was your third sit, may want to give it a break, evaluate your best conditions for a sit and come back in 30 days. Meanwhile, figure out where they are going or their new beds and relocate to that.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Hunt the isolated bedding area. I def agree that is probably the bigger buck from reading your post. If you feel you have hunted those 2 beds to many times leave a trail cam there for the intel for next season. Also when you go in to hunt that isolated bedding area leave a trail cam there on your way out. Get that Intel, maybe it will pay off for you when gun season kicks in and they are looking for that cover.
Extreme Effort Only
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 am

Rick_Winter wrote:Hunt the isolated bedding area. I def agree that is probably the bigger buck from reading your post. If you feel you have hunted those 2 beds to many times leave a trail cam there for the intel for next season. Also when you go in to hunt that isolated bedding area leave a trail cam there on your way out. Get that Intel, maybe it will pay off for you when gun season kicks in and they are looking for that cover.

Thanks Rick! I was also thinking this could be good to hunt once the crazy hunting pressure starts in rifle season. maybe even this coming week with early doe muzzleloader in today...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”