Buck bed facing into the wind

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bass28

Buck bed facing into the wind

Unread postby bass28 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:36 am

I hunt hilly terrain on public PA lands. I found a buck bed on the top of a high hill facing windward. Behind him was very step country...perhaps even impossible to hike. The Hill Country Bedding DVDs say that a buck will always bed with the wind at his back.

Do you think this buck is using the bed only on the rare times the winds are not prevailing or is he comfortable enough with the steep terrain behind him that he will use it with the prevailing winds? The bed seems well used.

Ragingun

Re: Buck bed facing into the wind

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 am

bass28 wrote:I hunt hilly terrain on public PA lands. I found a buck bed on the top of a high hill facing windward. Behind him was very step country...perhaps even impossible to hike. The Hill Country Bedding DVDs say that a buck will always bed with the wind at his back.

Do you think this buck is using the bed only on the rare times the winds are not prevailing or is he comfortable enough with the steep terrain behind him that he will use it with the prevailing winds? The bed seems well used.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of if he's not using the steep terrain to guard his back side even when he's facing the wind is maybe this bed is use when there is virtually no wind at all. I can't say how often that is in your area but a setup like this would give him the best odds if the wind is stagnant. At least he could look in one direction and feel somewhat comfy that there is minimal chance that something could sneak up behind him. :think:
Last edited by Ragingun on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:17 am

I try not to use the word "always" but I can say I have never seen a buck bed facing the wind unless he was in a bachelor group. Could be a night bed, or in relation to a wind or thermal interference.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 am

I have found buck beds recently that at first look u would think he was facing the wind, however when the milkweed starts to fly u would see that just isn't the case.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”