Overgrown Fields & Cattail Marshes

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Overgrown Fields & Cattail Marshes

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am

I'm beginning to see a resemblance between bucks bedding on the edges of overgrown fields and marshes, so I'm curious if others have seen the same.

Being we don't have any cattail marshes down here I can only go off of what I've seen on THB, so it's merely speculation at this point.

Has anyone else seen a similar trend?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Overgrown Fields & Cattail Marshes

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 am

I have the same thing here in NY, big over grown fields and they will have briar patches in them that have beds under them. We usually save it for shotgun and drive it cuz hard to get a stand in there
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:46 am

Regardless of the terrain you’re in, the “structure and transition rules” will still apply. Any transition could mean bedding. Points, bowls, islands, etc

In open and overgrown fields they will bed in a thick patch of anything. For me that often means low spot.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I find them to bed simular to the marsh, points, finger, bowls. Look for small groups of trees or lone trees also. Finding a decent tree to setup in can be hard tho.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

If the grass is tall and thick, they will bed in it. I have a spot that is quite a walk in the woods . I decided to take a short cut but was through some 4-6' grass with a few 10' trees scattered. I was amazed at the number of beds in that tall dry grass. Noone would think on top of that hill with all that grass , the deer just sit there and look down on the U.S. interstate and laugh at all the hunters coming back from 500 mi. round trips to their land and cabin driving right by some darn good free deer hunting land. This spot is almost impossible to hunt . There are no trees, and can't see 10 '. The deer know it too. I hunt the swamp very close and see a few there though.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm

yEP
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 am

ihookem wrote:If the grass is tall and thick, they will bed in it. I have a spot that is quite a walk in the woods . I decided to take a short cut but was through some 4-6' grass with a few 10' trees scattered. I was amazed at the number of beds in that tall dry grass. Noone would think on top of that hill with all that grass , the deer just sit there and look down on the U.S. interstate and laugh at all the hunters coming back from 500 mi. round trips to their land and cabin driving right by some darn good free deer hunting land. This spot is almost impossible to hunt . There are no trees, and can't see 10 '. The deer know it too. I hunt the swamp very close and see a few there though.

Killed a 140s buck in similar terrain. Setup a stool in the grass and just smashed it down for shooting lanes. Worked like a charm! If you can get between bed and destination or vice versus it can be a surprisingly easy spot to hunt.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Unread postby adelle26 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 am

Yes. A few days ago, I kicked up a bedded buck that was laying in a 30 yard wide strip of tall grasses that was located in between a wheat field and power line. Even crazier this was about 75 yards off the road. Noticing more and more they are resting in the spots you least expect them to be!
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 am

mheichelbech wrote:
ihookem wrote:If the grass is tall and thick, they will bed in it. I have a spot that is quite a walk in the woods . I decided to take a short cut but was through some 4-6' grass with a few 10' trees scattered. I was amazed at the number of beds in that tall dry grass. Noone would think on top of that hill with all that grass , the deer just sit there and look down on the U.S. interstate and laugh at all the hunters coming back from 500 mi. round trips to their land and cabin driving right by some darn good free deer hunting land. This spot is almost impossible to hunt . There are no trees, and can't see 10 '. The deer know it too. I hunt the swamp very close and see a few there though.

Killed a 140s buck in similar terrain. Setup a stool in the grass and just smashed it down for shooting lanes. Worked like a charm! If you can get between bed and destination or vice versus it can be a surprisingly easy spot to hunt.

I do this in the cat tail marshes I hunt. I look for the wheels on the spoke scenario and sit off to the side where they converge. You can actually control your wind very well as you get to control the spot of where you sit.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 am

Gee guys , I never thought of smashing down grass and cattails. .
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 am

ihookem wrote:Gee guys , I never thought of smashing down grass and cattails. .

Yup, works well. Just gotta get em afore they hit your scent where ya trampled the grass down. Another tip, trampled your "shooting lane" which shouldn't be more than a single path to your stool but also once sitting on your stool, angle a path to the trails you're sitting between but leave a small amount of standing grass right before the trail you expect the deer to be coming down. This allows you to see the deer coming. I've had it that it's either too windy or the deer are so quiet you're not ready to shoot when they walk by the small opening.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 am

I jumped a buck yesterday in a overgrown field mixed with pine trees briars and saplings.

Had probably 15 huge beds in a hundred yard area.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”