Trail Cameras

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Trail Cameras

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:21 am

My #1 use of cams is after season to see who made out alive. Then I can focus Feb.-April on scouting these areas. I only have 2 right now. I know a cam is not the answer, but a helpful part of the puzzle. I have one running in the same place since June. Taught me a lot about behavior. Cams can also tell you when a big buck is out on a stroll during daylight hours.

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 am

Stanley summed it up perfectly.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 am

Stanley wrote: I have just as much fun running cameras as I do hunting. So for me I'm going to use them and have fun doing it.

X2

I've fallen victim to seeing a very large racked buck on trailcam, tried to target them only to realize they were transients. Trail cams can show you what the potential is in your area, but I've not used them to pattern a particular buck. I'm sure it can be done, but I haven't used them that way.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:33 am

I personally hate running cams but iv been trying hard at it 4 years now and still feel like a newbie. They are a pain in my side but there is no doubting the fact that they are game changers. However I dont feel like they are a necessity.

Mineral sites are fun and I will keep applying that in the future. Catching a mature buck on a natural pattern though can take time. So iv really bought into ways of the beast to let cams just sit. Hunting behind the deer and something that has already happened is not productive - most cases.

Yes a cam can be used to kill a buck the same season. All it takes is one picture for us to form a gamenplan but they key is anticipating his next move. Sometimes that is an action he already did but them old ones dont seem to do the same things often. Gathering historical data is something iv really bought into. Just seems to be the most effective way.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 am

I haven't been all that enthusiastic about running cams routinely as of yet.

I don't see the need for one outside of trying to pattern a buck.

I don't think you need a camera to determine that large tracks, large bed and large rubs is a buck you would want.

Should you find these, then by all means run the cam and get more data. I guess to me its just not as important until you have the sign first.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Trail cameras use to go through a set of batteries in couple weeks. Now batteries last 6 months to a year. I just pulled a camera that was in public land wma. I have not checked it since Sept. 9th. I should have been there in mid Oct.

I run cameras from about May to opening of season. I might check them three times each over 5 months. Its like Christmas time to me. Buck I shot this year walked in front of camera few seconds before I shot him. Some bucks come unglued or will avoid a camera. I put my cameras up about seven feet. Not very many ever notice camera.

I will be running them again this year. Are they needed, short answer is NO. But, they sure do help get through summer.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:14 am

In the big woods I roam, just finding a mature buck to hunt is a challenge! When I finally get a mature buck pic on camera that's when the serious scouting starts! I already look for areas away from main roads and atv trails first and foremost! Next I try to determine the target buck's summer range and get an inventory for the area.
I also like to know if other hunters are there. I like to use video mode on a few of the cams, because you can learn a lot about deer behavior this way!
And I always have some out in places I plan to hunt next season.
Trailcams have become like a hobbie for me cause I like photograghy so much! The pics and videos help tell the story for when you do finally kill the big buck your after for years!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 am

TNstalker wrote:Work ahead with them for areas u want to hunt in the future. Something I need to do better!
I do the same I have 3 up in the tree I plan on sitting in next year at the same height I'm hunting been their since October will check them in spring shed hunting and see if I need to adjust the set
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Necessity, no... adventageouse, big time

I use them to set up my spots for the next season. It takes alot of them but it saves s lot of sear time to see what's going on
Make It Happen
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 pm

I run them early season to get an idea of what’s going to be on the menu, I also like to test stuff with them just because I find it interesting. However once the season gets rockin I move them to places I do not intend to hunt and use that intel for the following season. For me, they mess with my head to much to use during the season to form a plan. Say I get one on cam and he is repeatedly using a trail or whatever, so I sit it, he don’t show. Now I got all kinds of stuff running through my head, did I tip him off while checking these cameras, did he see me setting up, should I try back tomorrow, where should I move my cam. And b4 I know it I’m on a goose chase constantly behind the sucker. Several guys a surgical with the things, but not me during a current season. Now the intell I gather leaving them out long term and forming a plan for the following year helps me a lot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 am

His but is pointed towards bedding.
Now its not.
His but is pointed towards bedding.
Now its not.

I like cameras.
:violence-bowandarrow:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”