Overlooked gun spot?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Overlooked gun spot?

Unread postby adelle26 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 pm

I hunt a large lease in hill country, lots of woods and not many edges. This bottom next to the private lease road is brushy and some of it swampy, as a creek runs parallel to it. I haven’t been there in a couple years so until I do extensive scouting this spring, I’m going in blind and rusty from not having truly scouted the property.
I want to hunt this overlooked corner by the road, but I’m worried the trails may host mostly night time activity. But I remember from hunting this lease in years back that I often noticed deer crossing this corner during the pressured gun season so I’m going to give it a shot. Everyone else heads straight for the hills and deep into the property. most get impatient and start still-hunting and doing drives during the midday. A few years ago one of the older guys killed a nice buck by sitting 50 yards from the road in a lawn chair, due to not having enough mobility to get up into the hills. Maybe he was onto something!

wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
DaHunter

Re: Overlooked gun spot?

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Def worth a shot with a gun. Did u see anything?
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Re: Overlooked gun spot?

Unread postby adelle26 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 am

DaHunter wrote:Def worth a shot with a gun. Did u see anything?

A few does in that area crossing through...not a buck to be seen that whole trip, even after still-hunting the last day! The property is overrun with antlerless but I know bucks are in there. I did some more scouting further down the lease and found a small cattail marsh/Swamp running along the creek that i’d Like to scout this spring.
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”