Please Help me google earth or mapping

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Please Help me google earth or mapping

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 am

can someone please tell me where or what to look for on maps in two different terrains in very flat areas?
i hunt big woods and marsh areas i just dont know where to start lookng for beds
i want to start hunting in or close too bedding areas but just dont know where to look on google maps?
its very flat here so there is no real topography
i turn on maps and it looks like a big mass am i missing something?
please help
thanks peeps live and hunt like Dan
:D :lol:

AndyRoo
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/andyroo.lichtle?ref=bookmarks

Re: Please Help me google earth or mapping

Unread postby AndyRoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 am

Watch the videos. They help big time. Look for fingers and islands. Transition lines. In marsh areas look for slight raise in elevation(islands) usually solo trees or a small batch of trees. Good Luck!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:41 am

listen to the podcast for the hunting beast on youtube as well
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am

If you are in big woods, look at a topo, find the swamps and low areas. River bottoms are good too.

Then look at google maps and find transitions. Go back and look at older pictures. Some of my best finds are only visible on one google earth picture. Never would see it on any other picture.

Lastly, get away from access points. Deer bed where no predator bothers them. So it either in really hard to access spots, or overlooked spots. Overlooked imo is the best but hardest to find.

Oh, and if you aren’t getting wet, you should be going in farther
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am

Jonny wrote:If you are in big woods, look at a topo, find the swamps and low areas. River bottoms are good too.

Then look at google maps and find transitions. Go back and look at older pictures. Some of my best finds are only visible on one google earth picture. Never would see it on any other picture.

Lastly, get away from access points. Deer bed where no predator bothers them. So it either in really hard to access spots, or overlooked spots. Overlooked imo is the best but hardest to find.

Hey man thanks so much for the info couple things
Cant use topos here way to flat its like looking at a green screen lol and there are no river bottoms here its all swamps and marshes
What am i supposed to look for on the maps ? What will a swamp look like on a map? Low spots etc? swamps in the woods same concept as marshes points and bowls?
Thnks guys
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:If you are in big woods, look at a topo, find the swamps and low areas. River bottoms are good too.

Hey man thanks so much for the info couple things
Cant use topos here way to flat its like looking at a green screen lol and there are no river bottoms here its all swamps and marshes
What am i supposed to look for on the maps ? What will a swamp look like on a map? Low spots etc? swamps in the woods same concept as marshes points and bowls?
Thnks guys

Swamps are a bit different especially in that everything is harder to find. On an aerial, swamps will look brushy and thick. Bounce between years and you will sort of make out a transition.

For quick scouting, walk the transitions and look for fresh sign. Or look for islands in the swamp. When I have time I will try to post an aerial.

I know I mentioned topos, and don’t overlook them. Green and white don’t mean anything. Look for the little brush symbol that symbolizes a swamp. A swamp is there because the elevation dropped. Might not show up on a 10’ contour topo, but the symbol for it is usually there
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm

thanks man will do post that map if you can

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”