Bowls and points bucks and does

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Bowls and points bucks and does

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Please consider i am new to bed hunting(beastmode) i love it but marshes?
Is there a difference where does and bucks bed Along transition lines? I
have found multiple beds in a few bowls then check points and find single beds on each side if the point? Almost like a buck has different beds for all sides of points for a particular wind favor?
Where does can bed in bowls in groups and have everyone face different directions
Is there a pattern or tendency here?
Does that make sense?
Thnks guys

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Bowls and points bucks and does

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Buy dans dvds, on top of that buy marsh bucks first, it does explain marsh hunting but as dan would say, it explain bedding the best. They are all worth there wieght in gold!

Now to try to awnser your question. Mature bucks will always have the best spot no matter what type of terrian your hunting.
Points- bucks bed mostly on or near point ends with wind to back. Most of the time the wind will blow down the point or somewhat down the point. Now here’s a exception, if there are some trees or small humps of dry ground at the end of the point the buck will more than likely bed futher out off the point in the marsh, bedding in those case can be more nonwind base beds but not always.
Bowls - can be somewhat tricky to pin down wind direction for the beds, cause they can be more non wind base beds. They can come or leave from more than one direction, unlike points with one way dry land entrance.
Beds- mature buck beds to are almost the biggest beds you will see. Once you see a mature bucks bed you will know it. There are some rubs around(but not always),tracks and scat will be present alot of the times.
Doe bedding- does seem to be more randam. Kinda in a more open area or where they can see in more of a area, it can be close to the end of a point, but alot of the times there are sevral beds and some small looking bed around too. They can be kinda laying in any direction circular fashion they say facing any direction if theres room for them to bed like that! I usally can judge doe bedding by size, and if there is a lot of smaller beds close by. To me most mature does will be close to the size of a 2 or 3 year old buck. Big bucks just have big beds! period!!

You can also check out youtube for dans videos and there is a ton of really good podcast, the beast podcast and many others as well. Good luck!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 am

Thanks man
I got the videos and they are awesome
I found a bed on a point the other day and i think it was a buck it scared the out of me i got to arms legnth of him. Before he exploded out of there it brought the right out of me lol
I dont think it was a very big deer but the bed is being used alot so it's november 14 and seems to me a rut bed?
I marked all the beds i found along the transition line
When i got home I looked on maps and off the point there is a well defined trail and area butting up to a big river
Where the trail stopped looked like a large area that the grass looks like its laid over (looks like bedding right on rivers edge
The river is out about 50 to 75 yards from the point
Im just wondering if this might be a satilite bed for an inferior buck that i spooked out of bed
And mature buck or bucks are out bedding by this river?
Is this usual behavior ?
Also i found a huge single bed out in the middle of wide open woods ( very little undergrowth) area
It had a massive rub behind it it was right behind a very worn trail heading torwards marsh
Would this be a night time bed ? Maybe a staging bed waiting for does to come by to check?
It is in woods with a tons of holy trees so holly trees in woods are alot darker than open oaks and i know it will hold deer
Guys thnks for answers and help
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 am

Dans dvds are worth getting if you don't have them.

The points sound right buck's bed around them.

Problem is thermal when you setup near points.

When suns up it blows up on the point.

When hunt side it blows around end of the point when evening thermals take hold.

Points are so hard to hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Thanks man
I got the videos and they are awesome
I found a bed on a point the other day and i think it was a buck it scared the out of me i got to arms legnth of him. Before he exploded out of there it brought the right out of me lol
I dont think it was a very big deer but the bed is being used alot so it's november 14 and seems to me a rut bed?
I marked all the beds i found along the transition line
When i got home I looked on maps and off the point there is a well defined trail and area butting up to a big river
Where the trail stopped looked like a large area that the grass looks like its laid over (looks like bedding right on rivers edge
The river is out about 50 to 75 yards from the point
Im just wondering if this might be a satilite bed for an inferior buck that i spooked out of bed
And mature buck or bucks are out bedding by this river?
Is this usual behavior ?
Also i found a huge single bed out in the middle of wide open woods ( very little undergrowth) area
It had a massive rub behind it it was right behind a very worn trail heading torwards marsh
Would this be a night time bed ? Maybe a staging bed waiting for does to come by to check?
It is in woods with a tons of holy trees so holly trees in woods are alot darker than open oaks and i know it will hold deer
Guys thnks for answers and help

Yes bucks will bed up near rivers and creeks like that. It gives them a sence of security, its hard for preditors to come in on them with out them being alerted first.and if the water isnt to deep or like a big lake it is very desirable for deer to ise it. I have nice size swamps where i hunt, i wear cheatwaders to access, i got places i cant access due to it being to deep, but i know these deer cross there daily and bed just on the other side just wherethe water get shollow again. Deeper water like this keeps coyotes out You will find out soon enough that deer will use water to there advantage alot when its available.
The open woods bed. It is very possible that it could be night bedding, espeacically in heavy pressure land. If its close to some thick areas where does might bed, it would be my guess hes bedding there early morning wait for does to enter to check them then off to bed before day light. There are always exceptions!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks man helps alot i do think the bed the deer was in was a satilte bed to main beds out along river
And i thought that single bed was in the open too much too be a primary bed
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 am

So how do i try to hunt this point ? How do i beat the thermals do i wait for a wind blowing into the point?
I know when sun comes up thermals rise when it sets thermals sink (thermals as in my scent)
It is a point coming off a large hard woods with pines and Holly's. There is a single whit oak inside the point and is an attraction for them im sure
Prevailing wind is north west so i would have to come in from the east just on a off the wind and set up
Cause im thinking if i came from left side edge my scent stream would hit him right as i passed
The only thing is if another deer comes out first he will eventually cross my scent path if he passes me to my left but if im high enough maybe i can go over him i have 4 sticks and i try to stretch them to above 20
Thnks again guys

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”