Wind tunnel in New England hills advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

H2ofowlerNH

Wind tunnel in New England hills advice

Unread postby H2ofowlerNH » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Looking for some advice from seasoned beast style hunters in new england. I hunt the hills of western Massachusetts and southwestern New Hampshire and am wondering if the wind tunnel and buck bedding locations you are finding are 1/3 down from the top? I’ve watched the hill country bedding dvd but the hills out here don’t have that dramatic drop off with the military crest like Wisconsin hill country, they are more gradual and have multiple small hills. I do notice the thermals especially in the evening but wind patterns can be real tricky. What similarities and what differences do you find bucks do here in New England hill country and what should I look for to tell me I’m on the right track. I’ve been setting up just below the top of the ridge and trying to move to different elevations but haven’t had any luck. The top of the ridge is loaded with scrapes and rubs and acorns which is where the does are feeding. It is challenging because I can’t see very far, maybe 75 yards. I’m used to just setting up near feeding locations but in these hills I suspect the bucks aren’t getting there till dark. Any advice would be appreciated

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Wind tunnel in New England hills advice

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:35 pm

To find bucks in daylight, eapeically pressured buck, you have to be close to bedding, with out scouting for buck beds it gets real difficult to see big bucks in daylight. In rut, knowing buck beds and knowing doe bedding, makes it alot easier to figure out how to set up and use terian to find ambush sights. The hill terrian you are describing is what most beast would call rolling hills. Rolling terrian is a lil more difficult to nail down the thermal tunnel, the speed dictates the wind tunnel elevation greatly. So basically, low wind speeds will make the thermal tunnel higher on the hill, high wind speeds will make the tunnel lower down the hill. For example lets say you have a rolling hill that is 50’ in elevation, the wind speed for today is 15 mph the wind tunnel will be 2/3 down the hill. Tomorrow the wind speed is calling to be 7mph, the wind tunnel will be at the upper 1/3. If this makes sence, here what makes it difficult to nail down. The wind and speed changes daily, this makes difficult nail down consistently!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”