Setting up

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Setting up

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 am

Ok marsh areas
Do you wanna be setup on woods edge looking out over the marsh? Or the inside of woods watching the transition lines within the woods? I hope that makes sense lol

Bigburner

Re: Setting up

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:29 am

It depends on the sign and if a known bed is in the area. The one thing you really want to be ready for is when the wind switches 180 degrees as soon as the sun goes down so you'd better be set up for a just off wind if you have a trail coming out of the marsh or a known bed. The thermals will switch unless the wind is super strong but its not often that doesn't happen when the water temp in cooler than the ambient temp. It will get every time early season. The stronger the set up favors the deer the better chance you have of seeing him with all things considered. If you are just hunting the transition line 20-40 yards back is usually the sweet spot.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:08 am

Agreed with above, depends on the bed location. If you're not bed hunting and simply trail hunting then far enough back yet able to shoot to the trail......however on the beast that's just not our style 8-)

I have locations that the bed is under the last tree on that point as far out as possible. There I set up as close as I can without disturbing the bed. It could be within the wood line or it could be more out on the point depending mostly on the length of the point and the amount of stealth necessary. I also have bedding areas that are on those points into the marsh but are 100 yards in from the point because that's where it's dry or that's where the desired cover is etc. There I am typically back behind the wood line.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:59 pm

I think in marshes many times the beds are just outside the transition in the redbrush & cattails. So you may be set-up in the last good tree on the edge of the transition.

As others have said, It depends on the bedding and cover. As close as you think you can get set-up without bumping the buck. But no matter how far out, you always want to be able to shoot the bedding exit trail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”