Gps recomendations

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Gps recomendations

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

I use and bring my iphone on sits i want to get a gps also. Anyone recommend one i hear the garmen 62. Is easiest and user friendly. I know zero about gps or how to use one?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Gps recomendations

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am

I don't think they make the 62 anymore. They're the 64 now. Get the 64S. The 64 is a GPS with no maps and no sensors. The 64S is a GPS with sensors. This means it has a megnetic compass which you will find invaluable when it comes to getting yourself pointed towards waypoints or following a track. The 64 can;t show you what direction you're facing. It has a GPS compass - meaning you walk and it tells you the direction of travel. But it can;t while you're standing still. The 64ST is the 64S with topo maps included. I don;t think you need to pay garmin for the topo maps since they;re so easy to put on the GPS yourself.

So - my recommendation - the 64S.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am

I just set up a garmin Montana 650 for a friend. That is a very nice gps and IMO easier to use for some one new to GPS's than my 62.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks bob. Appreciate the tip
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I don't think they make the 62 anymore. They're the 64 now. Get the 64S. The 64 is a GPS with no maps and no sensors. The 64S is a GPS with sensors. This means it has a megnetic compass which you will find invaluable when it comes to getting yourself pointed towards waypoints or following a track. The 64 can;t show you what direction you're facing. It has a GPS compass - meaning you walk and it tells you the direction of travel. But it can;t while you're standing still. The 64ST is the 64S with topo maps included. I don;t think you need to pay garmin for the topo maps since they;re so easy to put on the GPS yourself.

Thanks for the tip man i will look at them are they easy to use?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:I don't think they make the 62 anymore. They're the 64 now. Get the 64S. The 64 is a GPS with no maps and no sensors. The 64S is a GPS with sensors. This means it has a megnetic compass which you will find invaluable when it comes to getting yourself pointed towards waypoints or following a track. The 64 can;t show you what direction you're facing. It has a GPS compass - meaning you walk and it tells you the direction of travel. But it can;t while you're standing still. The 64ST is the 64S with topo maps included. I don;t think you need to pay garmin for the topo maps since they;re so easy to put on the GPS yourself.

Thanks for the tip man i will look at them are they easy to use?

I found the 64s to be very easy to use. I’m also 21 and good with electronics.

I wouldn’t say go hunt your most remote spot with it day one. But get it in the next couple months and go on a couple scouts with it. Once you figure it out, they are pretty sweet.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Thanks bob. Appreciate the tip

Keep in mind that when looking at a GPS that they all don't come loaded with topo maps. When it comes to Garmin there are 3 letters after the name. "S" for Sensor; "T" for Topo maps; "C" for Camera. A Garmin that is marked Montana 650 TC has the topo maps and Built in camera. This will help explain some of the variations in price.

GPSFile Depot is a great resource for free maps and trail map overlays. I run them on my 62S and they work great for me. https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

There are custom hunting GPS icons that can be added to what the GPS comes with. Why Garmin doesn't include them is beyond me.https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/691

This is a great mod to the startup menu so you can put your name and phone number on the display so that if it gets lost you have a chance of getting it back.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/display-number-garmin.html

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm

You can export maps from Caltopo and also export image overlays that you've marked up from google earth as well. So you can see aerials... Yea - they're pretty sweet. I won't go in the woods without one now. DIY sportsnam has a really informative video on you tube that shows you how.

Off topic but I think his you tube chan is one of the best. Man he puts out quality content.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:39 am

Diy is by far the best out there guy is an absolute class act. Answers questions about anything. Doesnt forget where he came from like alot of those guys on you tube.
Dan is another class act doesnt forget where he came from. I respect people for being themselves not trying to be someone they are not. Its hard for me to trust judgement of anybody because of my illness. But i can tell when a guy trying to sell somthing thats a buch of crap. Anyway thanks guys im leaning torwards the 64st with topos And aireal capability’s
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:51 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Diy is by far the best out there guy is an absolute class act. Answers questions about anything. Doesnt forget where he came from like alot of those guys on you tube.
Dan is another class act doesnt forget where he came from. I respect people for being themselves not trying to be someone they are not. Its hard for me to trust judgement of anybody because of my illness. But i can tell when a guy trying to sell somthing thats a buch of crap. Anyway thanks guys im leaning torwards the 64st with topos And aireal capability’s

If you are looking to get the onx map chip (highly recommend) then you don't need the topos on the gps since onx overlays it, and has its own topos that work well enough in the field.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 am

I like onyx but the pics or aireals are all summer or late spring with greenup and its quite expensive
Its hard to see vegetation changes on these pics
Its very flat here so topos are really not much use here too thanks for idea though brotha
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 am

P.s. i want a back up in case of phone signal fails which happens alot to me
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:22 am

I have the Garmin Oregon 650t. Prices have come way down on these the past couple of weeks. I have an Onx chip for my state in it.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:23 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:I just set up a garmin Montana 650 for a friend. That is a very nice gps and IMO easier to use for some one new to GPS's than my 62.

Bob

This is exactly what I use. I downloaded the aerial imagery mapping via the BirdsEye View through Garmin's software and also paid for the ONxmaps land ownership map for WI. You can overlay everything on one screen. It tells you exactly who owns the land your on or any land you want to know at a glance and the imagery is very nice so you can pick out a tree and head straight for it. Best investment I've ever made for mobile hunting even more so than my stand and sticks. Had a family member borrow it for a recent northern trip and he said it'd have been nearly impossible to know who's property or where he was at without it. The screen is nice and big as well.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:24 am

Double post.......
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”