Hill Country Buck Bed Video!!!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Buck Bed Video!!!

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm

mathews418 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mathews418 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mathews418 wrote:Alright fellas and lady or 2. I have been doing some short scouting missions during my lunch break at work on a piece of state forest land. I have been finding some great areas and beds that have been right where they should be.
I thought I would make a video of a bed that I found today just show an example to those that are starting out and I enjoy doing it :D!!!
In the video you will here me talk about a coulple of public areas that I will be hunting next year, I just want to make clear I am not currently hunting them as I have just now began scouting these properties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_qN4l41ecE

Now here is a topo map of the bed and how I would set up based off of the sign that I seen in the area.

Red Dot is the Buck Bed itself
Blue Arrows indicate wind N NW NE
Green lines are exit trails that he is using as indicated by a rub line on each side of the point.
Both exit trails are about 10 yards below the top of the hill
Top Red flags are 2 stand locations based off of wind direcetion and are around 200 yards from the bed (maybe possible to get a little closer but no more than 150 yards)
The 3rd flag below the bed is a possible stand site to try to catch he dropping off the point and working down to the river. I really feel like this would be an impossible stand choice unless
you have a strong North wind that can help push your thermals down to the river (which is where they would end up anyway) but I would want all the help I could get here as this is a narrow valley and would be my last choice.

Now that is my theroy on how I wold hunt this bed if I was able to.
I would like to get feed back from other more experienced beasts on how they would approch it as I am sure I will be in this situation in the future on a bed that I can actually hunt.

My main goal with this was to show those who are maybe struggling or dont believe what they are reading that this stuff is the real deal.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
watched your video good stuff! for beds along the Appalachian trail look lower the trail runs the normal bedding line check the ledges below in thick pines and mountain laurel. and normal bed line where the trail bends away from sections of ridge.

Glad you liked it, thanks for the info!!!
Would you be able to elaborate a little more as to what you are talking about. Are you referring to the AT itself or deer trails. I am not hunting the AT but similar mountain terrain.

during your video you were talking about still trying to figure out the Appalachian mountains buck beds

Oh I see now I mentioned I was following the AT thread on here because I have a couple of public areas that are extreme Mountain terrain. But I do agree that I do not think I was looking in the right spots when i scouted these areas and should have we straight to the steepest nastiest cliffs that only a mountain goat could get to and I think the hat is where I will find the bigger more mature deer.

you will especially if you get pressure on top I track these buck in snow walking a foot of 100 foot cliffs

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”