Hill Country Buck Bed Video!!!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

Hill Country Buck Bed Video!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 am

Alright fellas and lady or 2. I have been doing some short scouting missions during my lunch break at work on a piece of state forest land. I have been finding some great areas and beds that have been right where they should be.
I thought I would make a video of a bed that I found today just show an example to those that are starting out and I enjoy doing it :D!!!
In the video you will here me talk about a coulple of public areas that I will be hunting next year, I just want to make clear I am not currently hunting them as I have just now began scouting these properties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_qN4l41ecE

Now here is a topo map of the bed and how I would set up based off of the sign that I seen in the area.

Red Dot is the Buck Bed itself
Blue Arrows indicate wind N NW NE
Green lines are exit trails that he is using as indicated by a rub line on each side of the point.
Both exit trails are about 10 yards below the top of the hill
Top Red flags are 2 stand locations based off of wind direcetion and are around 200 yards from the bed (maybe possible to get a little closer but no more than 150 yards)
The 3rd flag below the bed is a possible stand site to try to catch he dropping off the point and working down to the river. I really feel like this would be an impossible stand choice unless
you have a strong North wind that can help push your thermals down to the river (which is where they would end up anyway) but I would want all the help I could get here as this is a narrow valley and would be my last choice.

Now that is my theroy on how I wold hunt this bed if I was able to.
I would like to get feed back from other more experienced beasts on how they would approch it as I am sure I will be in this situation in the future on a bed that I can actually hunt.

My main goal with this was to show those who are maybe struggling or dont believe what they are reading that this stuff is the real deal.

Good Luck Everyone!!!

mathews418

Re: Hill Country Buck Bed Video!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am

Here is a couple pics of the bucks I mentioned

EdC

Unread postby EdC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 am

Nice video, totally agree on this stuff works if you know where to look

I'm finding more areas that hold deer using the techniques that Dan has shown us
especially areas right next to roads while the pumpkins walk right by them,
amazing how the deer have themselves setup to watch the crowds walk right by them

this year I've pretty much blown off actual hunting just to scout during the hunting season with the coming season
setup for the actual kill spots

for me it has been about 180 degrees of what I have been told by seasoned hunters for not disturbing any bedding areas
that type of advice has gotten me many a day without seeing any deer

the deer I have seen using Dan's techniques has all related to bedding areas and not travel routes during the night

thanks Dan and this forum for opening my eyes

looking forward to next year's success
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 am

Looking good 8-) I think we'll be expecting a beast kill from you next year. Go find some more!

Edit: missed the part where you can't hunt that one, so we won't expect a kill from that spot :lol:

Also, you mentioned not finding beds in the mountain country as easily. Lots of the points I hunt, I struggle to find the exact bed but the bucks still use it. Takes a little faith to set up on em but it works.
Last edited by RidgeGhost on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am

Good stuff! I have did the same thing as you scouted a few parks that can't be hunted but do it to learn how to scout better...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 am

Excellent intel - thanks for sharing! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 am

EdC wrote:this year I've pretty much blown off actual hunting just to scout during the hunting season with the coming season
setup for the actual kill spots

for me it has been about 180 degrees of what I have been told by seasoned hunters for not disturbing any bedding areas
that type of advice has gotten me many a day without seeing any deer

8-) :clap: :clap: :clap:
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks fellas for the replies, I truly enjoy just getting out in the woods and I hope that sharing this stuff will help out showing examples.

I too have just about given up actual hunting and have put alot more focus on to scouting now. I haven't used a tag this season even though I have seen and let a ton of deer pass. I have only had one encounter with what I classify as a shooter buck for me and I wasn't ready, a shot wasn't presented. But I still feel like I have had a successful season as I know I could have completely filled all 6 of my tags. My family (wife and kids) just doesn't utilize the meat like we did while I was at home growing up, so there is no need in me just killing deer. I still have a couple of weeks left and then an urban archery season from mid Jan to mid Feb so it could still happen.

I will continue to make some videos of stuff that I find and honestly I would rather make a video than to set and type stuff out on my phone or laptop lol.

Good luck everyone and be safe!!!
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Being a noob on here, I can't offer any advice on setting up on buck beds... but I will say that your video helped me out in better understanding what bucks look for when selecting a bed in hill country. I too have a feeling you'll be frequenting the kill zone thread in the future :D Looking forward to more videos!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:43 am

Sweet find! It's a great feeling when it all clicks and you can look at a map of a place you've never been & determine deer bedding
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 am

mathews418 wrote:Alright fellas and lady or 2. I have been doing some short scouting missions during my lunch break at work on a piece of state forest land. I have been finding some great areas and beds that have been right where they should be.
I thought I would make a video of a bed that I found today just show an example to those that are starting out and I enjoy doing it :D!!!
In the video you will here me talk about a coulple of public areas that I will be hunting next year, I just want to make clear I am not currently hunting them as I have just now began scouting these properties.

Now here is a topo map of the bed and how I would set up based off of the sign that I seen in the area.

Green lines are exit trails that he is using as indicated by a rub line on each side of the point.
Top Red flags are 2 stand locations based off of wind direcetion and are around 200 yards from the bed (maybe possible to get a little closer but no more than 150 yards)
The 3rd flag below the bed is a possible stand site to try to catch he dropping off the point and working down to the river. I really feel like this would be an impossible stand choice unless
you have a strong North wind that can help push your thermals down to the river (which is where they would end up anyway) but I would want all the help I could get here as this is a narrow valley and would be my last choice.

I would like to get feed back from other more experienced beasts on how they would approch it as I am sure I will be in this situation in the future on a bed that I can actually hunt.

My main goal with this was to show those who are maybe struggling or dont believe what they are reading that this stuff is the real deal.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
watched your video good stuff! for beds along the Appalachian trail look lower the trail runs the normal bedding line check the ledges below in thick pines and mountain laurel. and normal bed line where the trail bends away from sections of ridge.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
mathews418 wrote:Alright fellas and lady or 2. I have been doing some short scouting missions during my lunch break at work on a piece of state forest land. I have been finding some great areas and beds that have been right where they should be.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
watched your video good stuff! for beds along the Appalachian trail look lower the trail runs the normal bedding line check the ledges below in thick pines and mountain laurel. and normal bed line where the trail bends away from sections of ridge.

Glad you liked it, thanks for the info!!!
Would you be able to elaborate a little more as to what you are talking about. Are you referring to the AT itself or deer trails. I am not hunting the AT but similar mountain terrain.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 pm

mathews418 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Would you be able to elaborate a little more as to what you are talking about. Are you referring to the AT itself or deer trails. I am not hunting the AT but similar mountain terrain.

during your video you were talking about still trying to figure out the Appalachian mountains buck beds
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
mathews418 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Good Luck Everyone!!!

during your video you were talking about still trying to figure out the Appalachian mountains buck beds

o wait I read wrong I find on big steep mountains the biggest bucks tend to bed on the steepest cliffs in the micro climates in pines 1/3 the way up to half way right on the narrow shelf's its a good place to find the full dirt beds check near springs
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
mathews418 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Oh I see now I mentioned I was following the AT thread on here because I have a couple of public areas that are extreme Mountain terrain. But I do agree that I do not think I was looking in the right spots when i scouted these areas and should have we straight to the steepest nastiest cliffs that only a mountain goat could get to and I think the hat is where I will find the bigger more mature deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”