2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnswamphunter

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 am

I created a buck bed by accident by moving stuff around.
I identified a staging area in a swamp with a large sign post rub in it. It is about 200 yards off of an ag field. There is about 2000 acres of swamp behind the staging area. I had a great idea to put a ladder stand in the staging area. I brush in the ladder with dead fall and brush. And the stand is against a pine tree so the hunter is ant the top of the stand is concealed. Due to reasons, I was not able to get back to it for four years. The first visit was by my son. He did not see any deer on his sit but he heard a buck fit and grunting just south of him. But, he noticed a large bed on the south side of the tree. and large rubs all the way around the bed.

I scouted it this year after the season and the bed is still there with a rub line that runs east the parallels the field edge. It appears to be its exit trail.
Plans for the kill are being made as the buck thinks he is safe. :twisted:

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am

Nov 9-11 I had three encounters with the same buck I believe to be 3.5. Inside 20 yards twice. No shot. Anyhow this buck was bedding in an overlooked spot within 50 yards from a road and house. Almost a bullet proof location and nestled downwind of multiple doe bedding areas.

I went back late season and found fresh tracks and set up close to bedding but never received another crack at him. Jan 2 I dove back in there and found his bed and I guess what I would call his back door. Hung a cam on one of the exits, picked out a couple trees and headed out.

Old hat for the uber experienced guys here, but a sweet moment for a third year beast wannabe and bowhunter. Pieces of the puzzle coming together so to speak.

Chad
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Cool . Let me know how it turns out.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 am

The snow is gone now around here. That is good and bad. I can see tracks and beds much better. However I hate to leave my tracks in the snow. Although, I very rarely see another track in the snow from a scouter, just one this year. I asked TGreeno if it was him way the heck back in the marsh. Who else would be that far back but a Beast Hunter. Of course he denied it. Ya, always deny it . Snicker. Jackson Marsh, was that you ? Come on, it was one of you Beast Hunters.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am

Back in the marsh 8-)

Fewer permanent stands and better sign
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 am

Found a nice spot for gun season. Already has a double ladder stand in position for me :doh:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 am

ihookem wrote:The snow is gone now around here. That is good and bad. I can see tracks and beds much better. However I hate to leave my tracks in the snow. Although, I very rarely see another track in the snow from a scouter, just one this year. I asked TGreeno if it was him way the heck back in the marsh. Who else would be that far back but a Beast Hunter. Of course he denied it. Ya, always deny it . Snicker. Jackson Marsh, was that you ? Come on, it was one of you Beast Hunters.

It's possible 8-)
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am

Today I found more found more beds than I ever had. They were not used lately as far as I can see but an area that is kind of a tree line just full of beds on almost every high spot in that area. It is nothing but swamp in the fall , and all but impossible to get to if it is not froze over. To make it even harder , it is a closed area during fall. When deer season comes I would love to be there. Tons of droppings on the ice to it was after freeze . I put a trail cam in there and we will see. Best darn looking spot I ever found, and hard to get in without making a ruckus, and they know it too. I went in further and found a buck bed to be desired, with several others inside of 100 yds but this was a different area. Even found a dead muskrat that must have just died cause it was not frozen in the least. Might skin it, dont know. I will wait a few weeks and check the cam .
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 am

Found one spot worth a sit today. Found another rub just like the one I posted a picture of. Searched all over for the bed and just couldn’t find it. Really looked like the wind beat the area up so I’m wondering if the bed got covered in cattails and I couldn’t see it.

Found 2 ladder stands, a hang on with sticks, and 2 natural material hideouts. A teepee and a lean to. The 2 hideouts had some garbage laying there. Didn’t find any deer sign besides the first spot I looked. Also had no human sign back there aside from a very old permanent stand that is just a few boards and nails.

Gps coordinates are being sent to the dnr and property owners (non-dnr property) for all the stands and any permanent that looks recent. I generally don’t care about stands being left out but this is just ridiculous.

Need to find some new properties I think
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 am

Image went and used the tactics I just learned from swamp bedding DVD boy is it a game changer Image . Narrowed down a huge swamp dogwood red brush and cattails to 2 points found allot of beds and what I think looks like a good buck. None of the beds had rubs in them but they were big and lone beds. Pretty easy access I'm really excited about this spot trails were insane
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am

Got out today for the last day of bow season. Sat for awhile and didnt see much from the stand so i jumped down and scouted for 4 hours. Found some doe bedding area which i have been looking for to relate to buck bed now i can see alittle better how things are start to shape up for this buck. Last day of season now its hard core scout time!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Image

Got out today for the last day of bow season. Sat for awhile and didnt see much from the stand so i jumped down and scouted for 4 hours. Found some doe bedding area which i have been looking for to relate to buck bed now i can see alittle better how things are start to shape up for this buck. Last day of season now its hard core scout time!

Oh i did find some rubs to confirm buck travel from bedding too!!Image
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 am

9.19 miles in the marshes today...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 am

Lockdown wrote:9.19 miles in the marshes today...

That's some good work Ryan! Hope you found something good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:40 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Lockdown wrote:9.19 miles in the marshes today...

That's some good work Ryan! Hope you found something good!

Jumped a big one. Didn’t see him but it sounded like wide rack plowing cattails down. 3.5 finger track. Will post details soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”