2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 am

Water is a little chilly on the feet :D

Didn’t expect knee high water on top of the ice. Really makes finding beds a pain especially when I know they are there. Felt a couple out with my boots under the water

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am

Jonny wrote:Water is a little chilly on the feet :D

Didn’t expect knee high water on top of the ice. Really makes finding beds a pain especially when I know they are there. Felt a couple out with my boots under the water

Yeah...I could of done without all this rain. There's too much water now to really see what I want too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

tgreeno wrote:

Yeah...I could of done without all this rain. There's too much water now to really see what I want too.

On the bright side, I know of 2 beds during very high water. But yeah the rest of the beds I was looking for were under a good foot of water. Could feel them with my boots though
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

I went out scouting a new piece of public today not to far from my house. It wasn’t looking very promising until I was walking back to my vehicle and I came across a small marsh. I thought to myself that this looked like a good transition area so I slowed down and scanned the area slowly. I located a rub from a distance and walked over to it. I then saw some more rubs, a few beds and more rubs. The beds had a good amount of hair in their so I am guessing they are used often.Image

The beds are on the south side of the marsh. I am new to beast style hunting so my guess is he back is facing the marsh and he is looking out into the hardwoods at danger that may be approaching? My question is what wind do you all think he is using when he beds there?Image
The area that is outlined in yellow is the marsh. I marked most of the rubs I found and where the bed icon is is where the few beds were. Looking forward to getting out and finding more out about this area.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm

cmbrown337 wrote:I went out scouting a new piece of public today not to far from my house. It wasn’t looking very promising until I was walking back to my vehicle and I came across a small marsh. I thought to myself that this looked like a good transition area so I slowed down and scanned the area slowly. I located a rub from a distance and walked over to it. I then saw some more rubs, a few beds and more rubs. The beds had a good amount of hair in their so I am guessing they are used often.Image

The beds are on the south side of the marsh. I am new to beast style hunting so my guess is he back is facing the marsh and he is looking out into the hardwoods at danger that may be approaching? My question is what wind do you all think he is using when he beds there?Image
The area that is outlined in yellow is the marsh. I marked most of the rubs I found and where the bed icon is is where the few beds were. Looking forward to getting out and finding more out about this area.

Many times marsh bedding isn't wind specific. Does the bed have a thicker backstop he's bedding against in one direction?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 pm

tgreeno wrote:

That rain really sucked. Cut our scouting short on Monday. At least we got some scouting in though. Now everything is an ice rink.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Net Guy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

That rain really sucked. Cut our scouting short on Monday. At least we got some scouting in though. Now everything is an ice rink.

I'm gonna move into my hill country scouting areas until the ice is gone in the marshes
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

I'm gonna move into my hill country scouting areas until the ice is gone in the marshes

Good idea. I was going to go up north, but my father-in-law is up for the Berkie and said they have a bunch of snow on the ground already with another 9-12” coming this weekend. Going to have to wait to scout the big woods for a while I guess. :roll:

Never scouted or hunted hill country. Maybe I should start.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Good idea. I was going to go up north, but my father-in-law is up for the Berkie and said they have a bunch of snow on the ground already with another 9-12” coming this weekend. Going to have to wait to scout the big woods for a while I guess. :roll:

Never scouted or hunted hill country. Maybe I should start.

I am not a big hill country guy either. I just want to expand on a few of my spots, to hopefully find some better sign.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Net Guy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

All the rain water is thawed by me. Gonna need my floaties for my next scout. She’s deep. Looks like a southern cypress swamp
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Jonny wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

All the rain water is thawed by me. Gonna need my floaties for my next scout. She’s deep. Looks like a southern cypress swamp

Closer to the equator down there. :lol: Everything in Milwaukee froze up and noticed everything driving to Madison today was froze too. Hope it doesn’t last too long. A coworker still can’t drive her vehicle to her house because there’s a couple feet of rushing water over her driveway.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Closer to the equator down there. :lol: Everything in Milwaukee froze up and noticed everything driving to Madison today was froze too. Hope it doesn’t last too long. A coworker still can’t drive her vehicle to her house because there’s a couple feet of rushing water over her driveway.

The human trails were solid ice but I was breaking through the top layer in the cattails and dogwood with ease. So were the deer. The water was also dropping as well since it sounded like dday out there with the ice cracking and falling apart.

But if I wasn’t breaking through I would’ve called her quits early. Downright miserable to do that
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 pm

tgreeno wrote:
cmbrown337 wrote:I went out scouting a new piece of public today not to far from my house. It wasn’t looking very promising until I was walking back to my vehicle and I came across a small marsh. I thought to myself that this looked like a good transition area so I slowed down and scanned the area slowly. I located a rub from a distance and walked over to it. I then saw some more rubs, a few beds and more rubs. The beds had a good amount of hair in their so I am guessing they are used often.Image

Many times marsh bedding isn't wind specific. Does the bed have a thicker backstop he's bedding against in one direction?

Nope there is no big thick backstop or brush that the buck is bedding up against.
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 am

Sorry going to post this again since I found out photobucket will not allow me to share photos......

I went out scouting a new piece of public today not to far from my house. It wasn’t looking very promising until I was walking back to my vehicle and I came across a small marsh. I thought to myself that this looked like a good transition area so I slowed down and scanned the area slowly. I located a rub from a distance and walked over to it. I then saw some more rubs, a few beds and more rubs. The beds had a good amount of hair in their so I am guessing they are used often.Image
The beds are on the south side of the marsh. I am new to beast style hunting so my guess is he back is facing the marsh and he is looking out into the hardwoods at danger that may be approaching? My question is what wind do you all think he is using when he beds there?

Also found what looks like a fresh coyote kill not far from the bedding. Appeared to be a young deer.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 am

I'm betting it's not a wind based bed then.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”