2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cmbrown337

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:21 am

tgreeno wrote:I'm betting it's not a wind based bed then.

Thanks!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 am

Pulled a couple of cameras and got a bunch of pics of does, fawns, 1.5 year olds and a few two year old bucks. Nothing real nice, but it's still fun to see they survived the season and might have a couple to hunt next year.

These two heard about the "second rut" and decided to partake :lol: :lol:

Coyote

Trophy spike :mrgreen:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:

Didn’t you hear?........what happens in the marsh stays in the marsh. :lol:

It’s pretty obvious that we need more does. :o
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

:lol:
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

I really like the quality of the pictures the Browning camera takes. Which model is it?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

I really like the quality of the pictures the Browning camera takes. Which model is it?

I think it's the Browning Dark Ops. Daylight pics are great.... night pics are marginal.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Up until 5 days ago, we have had roughly 6” or 7” of rain for the last 6 months. In the last 5 days we’ve just about matched that. Put a damper on the scouting but I couldn’t help but get a couple hours in. In the process of getting soaked, I managed to find another primary bedding area. There was not a lot of sign but most of it was big buck sign. High rubs and multiple piles of the “coke can” stuff. Pretty sure I know this buck so I’m pretty pumped to add more pieces to his area. On another note, found several empty bags of corn and a reflector tape trail fairly close to this bedding. Guess hunting big bucks isn’t enough of a challenge without the lawless doing their thing.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm

I wouldnt lose faith in that spot. Sounds like your on the right track The baiter most likey wont have a crack at a mature buck at least the odds are extremely against him. I was a baiter for years til being reborn. The mature bucks and does skirt way way out and scent check bait pile before coming into it if they even do. Most mature bucks wont even go into bait piles. Alot of mature does wont go into them either til after dark. If you put a camera on a bait pile most of the time if a big boy is around you will get a teasing one pic of him then he vanishes.just too smart. They dont get big eating at bait piles and walking in front of sloppy hunters
Jft917

Unread postby Jft917 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:29 am

We've had so much rain here in New Jersey that it's making it impossible to find any bedding. I feel like I'm falling behind with my scouting with all this rain.
Can even get to certain areas because of chest High water. Hopefully the rain stops and I can get boots to the ground. :pray:
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 am

Jft917 wrote:We've had so much rain here in New Jersey that it's making it impossible to find any bedding. I feel like I'm falling behind with my scouting with all this rain.
Can even get to certain areas because of chest High water. Hopefully the rain stops and I can get boots to the ground. :pray:

Where u from in jersey my brotha?
Jft917

Unread postby Jft917 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Jft917 wrote:We've had so much rain here in New Jersey that it's making it impossible to find any bedding. I feel like I'm falling behind with my scouting with all this rain.

Where u from in jersey my brotha?

Morris CO.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 am

Ok i was born and raised cape may county moved to delaware last april
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 am

Back to the swamp today for me. Had an excellent day scouting where 2 points are directly opposite each other with about 100 yards of swamp in between them. One of the points has the predominant wind blow down it, so naturally it had the best sign. No hunter sign, and lots of big buck sign. Big tracks, high rubs and huge poop. I identified as many beds as I could, considering the swamp is still frozen and we've still got lots of snow. It's tough to discern some spots, but it looks like every high spot within 50 yards of the point had a bed on it. It's super thick and was a serious eureka moment for me. Definitely primary bedding - it's super thick. The question now is where do I setup? It'll be tough to get a good spot in a tree - there's a ton of cedars with not much for openings. Setup low, or go off the ground? I could setup a little further off the point into the swamp, but that won't give me much of an opportunity to shoot onto the elevated point and the thermals will be a challenge. Any advice lads?

Here's some pics of todays findings:

Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am

Babshaft wrote:Back to the swamp today for me. Had an excellent day scouting where 2 points are directly opposite each other with about 100 yards of swamp in between them. One of the points has the predominant wind blow down it, so naturally it had the best sign. No hunter sign, and lots of big buck sign. Big tracks, high rubs and huge poop. I identified as many beds as I could, considering the swamp is still frozen and we've still got lots of snow. It's tough to discern some spots, but it looks like every high spot within 50 yards of the point had a bed on it. It's super thick and was a serious eureka moment for me. Definitely primary bedding - it's super thick. The question now is where do I setup? It'll be tough to get a good spot in a tree - there's a ton of cedars with not much for openings. Setup low, or go off the ground? I could setup a little further off the point into the swamp, but that won't give me much of an opportunity to shoot onto the elevated point and the thermals will be a challenge. Any advice lads?

Here's some pics of todays findings:

Im glad you are starting to see things too bro
Just keep at it. Good finds today. Im goong maryland tomorrow all day for lacrosse tournament but as of monday its boots on the ground every day from now til i cant anymore. Probably greenup
Keep at it.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:Im glad you are starting to see things too bro
Just keep at it. Good finds today. Im goong maryland tomorrow all day for lacrosse tournament but as of monday its boots on the ground every day from now til i cant anymore. Probably greenup
Keep at it.

Thanks brother. Have fun at the tourney man! Best of luck to the team! I'm gonna try and keep pace with you buddy. It's gonna be tough but I'll do what I can. I've got a really flexible schedule at work: 24 hour shifts, so everything is compressed. I'm hoping to find at least 20 primary bedding areas this spring. Set the goals high hahaha

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”