2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 am

A few days before 2018 but figured many beasts are out and about, scouting with next year on their mind.

I got out today in the chilly weather and got some good scouting in. Took my time and fine tuned 2 different setups i have used and had some luck with in the past.

Also found one new setup and picked a few different trees to hunt out of. Really well used beds are hard to come by in this particular area but i found some that made sense. There was a scrape about 40 yards from the beds and a few scattered big rubs.

Feel like i should be able to get a few good buck encounters out of these setups. Marked about a dozen different trees on gps today. Will be nice to have some solid options.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:27 am

Love that rub with the sunglasses HM 8-)

I’m not even disappointed the season is almost over. Can’t wait to scout :L:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 am

I have been hunting a bit since gun season ended and scouting while I hunt. I have been finding some new doe bedding areas and have some bucks located for next year. One thing I know for sure is there are plenty of good bucks that made it through gun season... Don't know how much time I will have to scout over winter but will at least follow up some new spots early turkey season before it greens up.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 am

I guess this will suffice as the off season live thread. :lol: Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to do some hunt/scouting. After the 6th it'll be all out scouting grind till turkey season in april. I have a lot of work ahead of me, lots of beds to find :D
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am

Got out last weekend and deployed a bunch of cams on a entry trail to some bedding in thermal cover, hopefully a specific buck made it. This area traditionally holds tons of beds in that brutal winter cold. Deployed the rest of my cam today in another area that’s home to another target. Checking the area he likes to bed I found a big lone set of tracks, hooking into that bedding.

The neighboring property owner and I have become pretty good friends and he was texting pics throughout the season. My target was never on his cams on scrapes that are within a few hundred yards of where I always get him. This made me focus on another end that has some similar characteristic rubs as what’s around his bedding.

I’m off all week so I’ll get out a bunch but I need the snow to melt already please! Lol
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm going this weekend can't wait :dance:
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm starting new years eve
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I still have my buck tag so real scouting doesn’t start till the hunting season ends. I am going to do some in-season scouting this week to spot check some large areas for current activity. Bow in hand of course.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:21 am

Dewey wrote:I still have my buck tag so real scouting doesn’t start till the hunting season ends. I am going to do some in-season scouting this week to spot check some large areas for current activity. Bow in hand of course.

Ive still got tags too, But still have 3 weeks left to hunt. I am planning a scout hunt soon, hopefully with some luck i can fling an arrow at something before season closes. But after that its scout till spring! Most of my scouting from last years ,end of season, should be really point me where i need to be hunting now!!
Glad the threads goin be intresting to see how the scout and planning works out for some this coming year! Good luck to those with tags still!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:55 am

Went and scouted the area I cyber scouted this fall sat and missed a big 10. Looked as good as I hoped found a handfull of beds gunna investigate it further in the spring but so far I think it looks promising :dance:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 am

RidgeGhost wrote:I guess this will suffice as the off season live thread. :lol: Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to do some hunt/scouting. After the 6th it'll be all out scouting grind till turkey season in april. I have a lot of work ahead of me, lots of beds to find :D

Me too bro
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 am

I wanna put pics but still cant fogure it out im such a computer idiot
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58 pm

First official scouting mission in the books today. Checked out a spot I hunted blind in October. No acorns so I didn't see much then. Scouting today, I found lots of big rubs and several scrapes. The point I suspected a buck bed on was much thicker than I expected and held several beds around the end of the point as expected. I struggle finding a specific, well used bed. Typically I find what I did today which is multiple light beds scattered around the point. Found the kill tree where the point meets the ridge and another point juts off of that intersection. High hopes for that spot if I can get the right wind next october :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Also, found the first shed of the off season. It's one from last year. Looks to be a side off of a 2yr old 8pt. Hopefully he survived this season too.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:58 pm

I’m so jealous of u guys and yalls snow! These rocky ridges here don’t offer a whole heck of a lot. Once got a season where it rained dang near everyday, the muddy ground and flooded timber revealed a whole new world to me. I really thought I was set for the next season. Turns out travel patterns change in years of flood :doh: guess the only take away from that is I know where to be during the next season of monsoons!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Last hunt of the year tomorrow then its pure scouting bliss until the bugs come to life :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”