2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Halonhunter6

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am

Has anyone else in hill/ mountain country ever noticed bucks bedding up against cliff lines in small patches of mountain laurel? I have found several with a few trails leading in and out of them with rubs from 20 to 50 yards away. The beds I have found have a cliff to one side with no access up or down it and two to three trails going in. Will bucks bed with their back to these cliffs for security measures and face up hill?

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:33 am

New spot scouted today wasnt real sure about this piece but i was pleasantly suprised. Had two great bedding areas. Actually kicked one out of his bed and heard his sloshing through cattails it was cool. Video will be up in a little while on my channel
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Halonhunter6 wrote:Has anyone else in hill/ mountain country ever noticed bucks bedding up against cliff lines in small patches of mountain laurel? I have found several with a few trails leading in and out of them with rubs from 20 to 50 yards away. The beds I have found have a cliff to one side with no access up or down it and two to three trails going in. Will bucks bed with their back to these cliffs for security measures and face up hill?

yes sir that's what they are doing now try and figure out how to get close to that bed typical mountain buck they think they are part goat. Ive found buck beds in patches a laurel in boulders the size of cars before too lol they truly are there own species of deer.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm

tbunao wrote:Last season I had bumped a target buck that was bedded 15 yards from my cam. Pulling that cam he bedded there all through the beginning of the season. I had set up shortly after that bump but didn’t dare try and bust through the 200 yards of briars. I did not get visual confirmation but a deer did work slowly and methodically from that bed until it was well into darkness where the steps increased until no longer audible.

The way this area is set up with the terrain and vegetation the wind does Some awesome stuff. Not everything is cut in stone and written in concrete. A north wind is actually curling and becoming a west wind while it does what it’s supposed to on a west. I’m unsure of what a south west wind does but will go as soon as my schedule and wind collaborate.

My set up for this bed is 60 yards from this bed and if he decides to go around a large thick patch instead of up it like the sign shows he likes to do the game is over. I’m either going to kill him or blow him out.

Yesterday was a south wind so I did some investigation and I found a bed that’s not far from the north-west bed. In fact he can move from on to the other through a tick patch of pines that connects the two. As of now with no vegetation the milkweed was flying hitting him as he lays quartering the wind. I don’t think I can get real close due to a bowl that’s going to create all sorts of havoc but I think I can monitor it from a far with a spotting scope.

This buck has a very small home range and I really think he made it. Big tracks and big bed in an area riddled of youngsters. Once snow melts off a little I’ll give the shed hunt a valiant effort.

Kenny’s days are numbered
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Halonhunter6 wrote:Has anyone else in hill/ mountain country ever noticed bucks bedding up against cliff lines in small patches of mountain laurel? I have found several with a few trails leading in and out of them with rubs from 20 to 50 yards away. The beds I have found have a cliff to one side with no access up or down it and two to three trails going in. Will bucks bed with their back to these cliffs for security measures and face up hill?

yes sir that's what they are doing now try and figure out how to get close to that bed typical mountain buck they think they are part goat. Ive found buck beds in patches a laurel in boulders the size of cars before too lol they truly are there own species of deer.

Nothing I have experienced in hunting mountain deer has been easy it took me 9 years to get my first bow kill but at least now I’m getting somewhat of an idea of how and where they bed. I found a few trails so close to a cliff edge this weekend I was afraid to walk it to confirm it was a buck bed but from others I have found and the land around I’m certain it is.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:42 am

Lockdown wrote:
tbunao wrote:Last season I had bumped a target buck that was bedded 15 yards from my cam. Pulling that cam he bedded there all through the beginning of the season. I had set up shortly after that bump but didn’t dare try and bust through the 200 yards of briars. I did not get visual confirmation but a deer did work slowly and methodically from that bed until it was well into darkness where the steps increased until no longer audible.

The way this area is set up with the terrain and vegetation the wind does Some awesome stuff. Not everything is cut in stone and written in concrete. A north wind is actually curling and becoming a west wind while it does what it’s supposed to on a west. I’m unsure of what a south west wind does but will go as soon as my schedule and wind collaborate.

My set up for this bed is 60 yards from this bed and if he decides to go around a large thick patch instead of up it like the sign shows he likes to do the game is over. I’m either going to kill him or blow him out.

Yesterday was a south wind so I did some investigation and I found a bed that’s not far from the north-west bed. In fact he can move from on to the other through a tick patch of pines that connects the two. As of now with no vegetation the milkweed was flying hitting him as he lays quartering the wind. I don’t think I can get real close due to a bowl that’s going to create all sorts of havoc but I think I can monitor it from a far with a spotting scope.

This buck has a very small home range and I really think he made it. Big tracks and big bed in an area riddled of youngsters. Once snow melts off a little I’ll give the shed hunt a valiant effort.

Kenny’s days are numbered

Things have really shrunken down. It’s amazing how small of a core area they actually keep, well at least him
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm

I found a real cool buck bed today in mountains today with 5 giant beds within 2 feet of each other. the bucks or buck are bedding on top 1/3 in laurel thicket they chewed off all the lower branches in a 20 foot circle its like an igloo inside with a great view off the front porch.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Halonhunter6 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Nothing I have experienced in hunting mountain deer has been easy it took me 9 years to get my first bow kill but at least now I’m getting somewhat of an idea of how and where they bed. I found a few trails so close to a cliff edge this weekend I was afraid to walk it to confirm it was a buck bed but from others I have found and the land around I’m certain it is.

mountain bucks love beds with acorns 20 yards away I follow the acorns every year the ridges seam to cycle different than the other
NewbieBeast

Unread postby NewbieBeast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Lopedog699, Looks like your in for a good 2018 season best of luck to ya.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:52 pm

NewbieBeast wrote:Lopedog699, Looks like your in for a good 2018 season best of luck to ya.

Thanks brotha i hope your right
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8h5Ua0d5I

thanks to Eric b . aka BIGBURNER helped so much today with big woods scouting
another mentor and definitely a new friend what a great time
thanks my brotha
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:40 am

Lopedog669 , what state was the video taken where you found the sheds?
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:40 am

Lopedog669 , what state was the video taken where you found the sheds?
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 am

The First State
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”