2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am

ihookem wrote:Lopedog669 , what state was the video taken where you found the sheds?

The very first state. Lol

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 am

Good video! I like the content you’ve been putting out. Keep up the good work!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good video! I like the content you’ve been putting out. Keep up the good work!

Thanks bro im just trying to show that dans and the beast guys are the real deal. This stuff is on the money. Please keep watching and spread the word.
I think im actually do a 2-3 day blind hunt in maryland marshes. Just by maps. Going in blind. Thnks for support spread the word. Tell people to subscribe and like. Its nothing fancy just raw like i am.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageMountain bucks are actually goats the top left pic is of his bed its next to the big tree. this buck is living between two cliff on a ledge. as I worked down the ledge I found 9 big beds all over 60 inches long all are full of hair. he's making poop the size of acorns and I also found a couple huge thigh sized rubs. I was a bit confused at first because the ledge ran into a boulder field. I couldn't believe a mature mountain buck would trap himself like this then I spotted the rubs in boulder field this buck is hopping threw the rocks as a exit trail! I've seen bucks go threw the rocks before but this is insane! well I picked trees to hunt from and will be setting up for him I cant believe how much time this buck is spending right hear. just when you think you seen everything something new pops up. I'm going to place a camera in boulder field and the mouth of the ledge this summer and see what he looks like. the cliff above the ledge is over 100 foot tall and the cliff below is close to 300 foot I'm amazed at this bedding its in the most protected spot I've ever seen. talk about holy cow bedding! :shock:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Got out for a hour or so today. Scouted a little point across the road from some ag. Was hoping it was kind of overlooked since it was butted up next to private. Well I think it was a bust . Old bear bait right on the point and on way out there were trail ribbons every where :?
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 am

Im cyber scouted a few spots today i want to look at. A few of them are oxbows. My question is other that a big buck bed in it. What are u looking for in an oxbow? Shallow river? Timber? Cattails?
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am

Scouted a remote island out in the public marsh yesterday that I just didn’t make it out to last season. Noticed right away this piece as loaded with mature white oaks. Started making my way towards the tip where the brush starts and jumped a tank of a bobcat about 15-20 yds in front of me, must have been sleeping and didn’t hear or smell me with the wind blowing. Right where the brush starts I found what looked to me as a primary scrape. Worked the tip, loaded with beds/rubs/crap. Picked a couple trees out right where the brush starts on this island by the first couple oaks. As I started making my way out, a bunch of Toms flew from dry land out this island and roosted...was about 5oclock. That’s when it dawned on me what the heck that bobcat was doin way out there....crazy day. Never thought birds roosted marsh islands? This was over 150 yds from dry land ....but there was some ice still.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 am

bucks wintering in remote mountain swamps Image I found this buck bed a weak ago on a hardwood island in swamp he's been laying under this hemlock tree for weeks he is using about 2 acers and all he does is chew on hemlock trees and browse all day then he travels to a spring and digs water crest out of it then return to his bed I have found beds like this in years of deep snow 3 foot or deeper with one bed down to the dirt in snow every other deer has migrated out of the area but the big bucks just stay up top and sit out the winter buy themselves.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:45 am

more big buck beds from a mountain buck I've been patterning for last 3 scouts ImageImageImagetwo big buck beds I found over watching a shelf third pic is from below the beds are located right on the edge of the crest under hemlock trees behind the beds are huge patches of laurel about 300 acers in size and a series of drainages beds are about half way up in elevation on mountain on south western side. the sign in area shows year round usage.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 am

a multi wind buck bed I found situated on a hook shaped point on a small nob in center. from this position he can see full 360 and watch the military crest on point. ImageImage the rub entering bed is on tree 10 inches in diameter.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 am

ImageImageyesterday I tracked this buck on bare ground threw the boulder field over a mile and the sign led me too this bed on the hooking point on the opposite side being thicker and more sheltered from the high winds on face I'm starting to think he prefers this bed when weather comes in. I also found a likely big buck bed on western end a mile away so a little more time following travel corridors ill have a triangulated core area of him if it pans out. ill post pics of the next bedding once I get there its close to a hour and a half walk in so I run out of time before I can finish collecting data.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Got out to a place I found 2 wks before last opener. So much snow it wasn't really scouting but what Dewey would call getting the lay of the land and seeing howw the deer move through the landscape. I know the movement will be different in fall, I can see how they use hill country. Mostly noted rubs, doe bedding, hunter sign...Just getting out for a stroll in a place I dont know at all was the high point of my week. https://s13.postimg.org/e7l6ase87/Scree ... .50_PM.png
When I found doe bedding, there were 10-20 in a very small area, very typical circle the wagons formation. Keep going back figuring little pcs. at a time.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am

Nice work guys
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

After a week of cyber scouting on my lunch breaks at work I made it out to a new piece of public. Big woods hill country PA game lands. I walked the military crest and scouted all the remote points. I walked about 4.5 miles in total. It was a great day.

I just have to say... before the huntingbeast I never could have accomplished what I did in just one afternoon on such a big piece of land. I feel like I have a huge upper hand on the other hunters now. I hung 2 cameras. One on a bed and another on a heavy trail in some thick laurel that was on top of a remote point.

Here's a video I took with my phone from a bed... I found about 8 bucks bucks in total I believe...

https://youtu.be/bAt0lBTKt4E

Most of the beds I found had rub lines j hooking in and also going down in a straight line below. The land is high in elevation with private ag fields about 1/4 mile away down in the valleys. These deer have a lot of options for nature browse near the beds as well as water or they can drop straight down in the evening and head to those farms. This particular buck bed showed me that he was headed for those farms based on his rubs down below the bed in a straight line. This may be how I attempt to hunt it.

Anyway, a very rewarding day yesterday. I had a blast. I had gotten a tip from a local game warden last summer that this ground holds some really big bucks. It makes sense. I was 2 miles back from the road and there are some large farms surrounding it. Limited access and large surround farms should help produce older bucks. This might be my best piece of ground I've come across in recent years. Im really excited!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm

rfickes87 wrote:After a week of cyber scouting on my lunch breaks at work I made it out to a new piece of public. Big woods hill country PA game lands. I walked the military crest and scouted all the remote points. I walked about 4.5 miles in total. It was a great day.

I just have to say... before the huntingbeast I never could have accomplished what I did in just one afternoon on such a big piece of land. I feel like I have a huge upper hand on the other hunters now. I hung 2 cameras. One on a bed and another on a heavy trail in some thick laurel that was on top of a remote point.

Here's a video I took with my phone from a bed... I found about 8 bucks bucks in total I believe...

https://youtu.be/bAt0lBTKt4E

Most of the beds I found had rub lines j hooking in and also going down in a straight line below. The land is high in elevation with private ag fields about 1/4 mile away down in the valleys. These deer have a lot of options for nature browse near the beds as well as water or they can drop straight down in the evening and head to those farms. This particular buck bed showed me that he was headed for those farms based on his rubs down below the bed in a straight line. This may be how I attempt to hunt it.

Anyway, a very rewarding day yesterday. I had a blast. I had gotten a tip from a local game warden last summer that this ground holds some really big bucks. It makes sense. I was 2 miles back from the road and there are some large farms surrounding it. Limited access and large surround farms should help produce older bucks. This might be my best piece of ground I've come across in recent years. Im really excited!

very good video and a perfect example of mature buck bedding in eastern woods and being a eastern hill side is even better the thermals will drop faster in evening giving you valuable time. to slip in and set up or you can hunt it with a quartering wind or on a low pressure day. is the trail dropping down right away or is he traveling on the wind tunnel then dropping down?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”