2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:Image
Found this giant sucluded scraping area today, its the biggest area i have ever seen! I had to look it over for several minutes, its legit, the whole area is scraped, pooped in, and licking branches broke all the way back to the brush gets thick! Look a little futher back there is another one starting its about 6’ by 6’, there also other nice size scrapes scattered around that area, about 20 best counted! Rubs of all size to boot. Thats my bow laying on the ground it 36”, i could judge the size of it, its just big. This spot is very near where i had a run in with a nice shooter in late octber.
I also had some luck finding some new bedding areas and 4 big lone buck beds kind of deep in probably over looked spots, two were not far from that giant scrape. I was actully trying to hunt today, but with all the i e i new the deer were not out in the good spots so i took advantage of the very thick ice and made my way to some islands that i could not get to without taking a swim! Great scouting day! Marking some very intresting spots for next year!

Thought this was kinda cool, i have never seen a beaver cut a log up like this before, stump is in the back ground and the rest of the tree is still standing up in the tree next to it!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Today I went to a spot I had scouted a couple years ago. I thought they were getting started to log it back then, looks like they were just making trails through the property. It looked okay, but probably not going to be hunting it.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 am

Here's a picture from a December scout, where I shot my buck in October. I was sitting in the aspen tree in the top center. He bedded in the flattened grass and was making the rub next to it when I shot him. I thought the rub looked low for a buck of that size, but reading Lockdown's journal today, it make sense to me now.

Lockdown wrote: I've posted in one of MagicMan's threads about big bucks rubbing very small diameter trees/bushes very low. He mentioned and I agree that they must like the rigidity of rubbing them down low. I seldom see pencil or cigar diameter trees rubbed at chest height. If I do they're usually snapped to pieces.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:13 am

Well my hunting season is officially over!

Now it's full-time scouting season! I have two new cameras I got for christmas to deploy. I really need to find some new land! Been cyber scouting for the last couple weeks, and I can hardly wait to get out there!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 am

Gonna be a great start to the scouting season here in WI. The warm weather this week should melt much of the limited snow cover we have. Everything from this past season should be very visible. No better time than now to dive into those bedding areas.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 am

Dewey wrote:Gonna be a great start to the scouting season here in WI. The warm weather this week should melt much of the limited snow cover we have. Everything from this past season should be very visible. No better time than now to dive into those bedding areas.

This week will be great! Starting tomorrow I'll deploying cameras and checking as many bedding areas as I can!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Pulled a camera and got a bunch of spike bucks and a few that might be nice next season.

Found a nice looking bed just to the West of the camera.

Lots of trails coming through this area with a line of scrapes which I opened back up. Hopefully a couple of those bucks add some inches for next season.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Pulled a camera and got a bunch of spike bucks and a few that might be nice next season.

Found a nice looking bed just to the West of the camera.

Lots of trails coming through this area with a line of scrapes which I opened back up. Hopefully a couple of those bucks add some inches for next season.

That first one is oh my god. Too me a monster if i seen one like that id be ecstatic. Hope i start seeing bucks like that after learning beast tactics
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

I was very happy with the card pull. If nothing else it should be good next year late season. Camera had only been out for 3 weeks. I had a few does on camera too and only one half rack.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I was very happy with the card pull. If nothing else it should be good next year late season. Camera had only been out for 3 weeks. I had a few does on camera too and only one half rack.

Should be real good bucks next year. With the amount of miles I put on walking the last 3 weeks surprised you never caught me on cam. :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 pm

First post-season scout of the year. Just a short 1 1/2 hours. I expanded on an area I sat a couple different tree's last season. I think I connected a few dots on travel paths. I found some lone big tracks heading to and from bedding.

I found a couple new tree's that I'll probably throw sits at early, before pheasant season starts. It's a high pressure area, and I think I hunted it too late last year.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Dewey wrote:Gonna be a great start to the scouting season here in WI. The warm weather this week should melt much of the limited snow cover we have. Everything from this past season should be very visible. No better time than now to dive into those bedding areas.

I’ll be adding a couple miles on Friday. Excited to not have snow covering all my trip hazards. I could do without the random face plants in the waist high marsh grass :lol:

Planning on new ground but still thinking about going back to where I have gone before and checking my assumptions or seeing what I missed cause of the snow.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:I wanna put pics but still cant fogure it out im such a computer idiot

your not the only i take so many great picks of huge rubs and tracks and beds
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 am

Wish we had some snow down here...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Got out for about 2.5 hours today. Area I had been in before. Confirmed some things and found some apparent new beds. Gotta downloads the pics and GPS coordinates to see how it all relates to the area. I am pretty sore!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”