2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_uEE2lySk&feature=share

I went out just for a short scout yesterday and think this will be an early season spot cause it gets pounded come muzzleloader in october and easily accessible but its still a great find. I know theres a bog boy in here cause i seen him in a front field of this piece about a mile through woods but like i said very easily accessible and there is a small parking lot for duck hunters nearby but it is really really deep mud and tight to get a truck through. So it turns few people away im sure
check out the stuff my peoples sent me it really nicely made quality stuff. And sorry i get a little emotional in this one guys. Been a rough couple years for me. Im just trying to stay busy and keep my head straight and on my shoulders. Anyway. Please enjoy

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Hit it hard today connecting the dots on familiar ground and scouting new stuff. Found several wind specific beds that looked more attractive early to mid season. Interesting find was a rut cruising trail that mirrored a contour line on my topo. This is far from classic hill country. More or less, just the drop from cattle/ag down to flood plain. It was about midway down the transition and a rub intersecting every trail running perpendicular to it.

The big find was a primary bedding area elevated off a slew. This bedding area had it all. Oaks on the outer edges and multiple plum thickets with waist to chest high Johnson grass filling the void. The hogs had made a mess of the area but there were beds for any wind. It’s a pretty good hike back there but if it’s dry enough entrance can be pretty painless. Found this gem laying out in the open. It’s at least 2 seasons old maybe older but in great shape. Would like to find him if he’s still alive.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Went and scouted the private land I hunt today. Scouted where we always see the bucks big swamp in the middle with some points. So I gave it the beast tactics and wow can't believe how your view of how something should be hunted after 15 years of hunting it by using beast tactics. It's amazing how you look at something different. The bedding is where we thought but seeing it makes you know that's why they come from there 8-) . And changes the whole way I'm gunna hunt it. I ever got the land owner excited over beast tactics (it was his first time ) :P
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Returned to an area I scouted during season back in December today. Goal was to make sure there wasn’t any dumb/overlooked stuff and get a feel for where all the pressure is on this piece. There are a few ag fields that had soybeans planted back in the summer so that also factoring into leave no stone unturned mindset.

My walk didn’t yield much more than good exercise. I did find a couple early season bedding areas that could have some potential. This one being a drainage running through a couple hayfields of tall Johnson grass. It’s perfectly overlooked but may only be for a short time. Lots of willows, lots of rubs and lots of beds.
Interesting find was I did find a couple more “coke can” turds on the edge of one cut bean field so I know at least one is in the area. Also, this one set of tracks caught my eye while circling the back side of a small slew. I won’t label this a buck track til I see the owner with my own eyes, but it’s by far the biggest I’ve ever seen and it’s not a hog. There are occasional elk that escape local high fences but I’m not an expert on elk tracks either. My hands aren’t wide but they’re long.
Oh and which one of you Wisconsin boys came to Oklahoma and didn’t tell me? Found one truck parked at the entrance with Wisconsin plates. :think:
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:Returned to an area I scouted during season back in December today. Goal was to make sure there wasn’t any dumb/overlooked stuff and get a feel for where all the pressure is on this piece. There are a few ag fields that had soybeans planted back in the summer so that also factoring into leave no stone unturned mindset.

My walk didn’t yield much more than good exercise. I did find a couple early season bedding areas that could have some potential. This one being a drainage running through a couple hayfields of tall Johnson grass. It’s perfectly overlooked but may only be for a short time. Lots of willows, lots of rubs and lots of beds.
Interesting find was I did find a couple more “coke can” turds on the edge of one cut bean field so I know at least one is in the area. Also, this one set of tracks caught my eye while circling the back side of a small slew. I won’t label this a buck track til I see the owner with my own eyes, but it’s by far the biggest I’ve ever seen and it’s not a hog. There are occasional elk that escape local high fences but I’m not an expert on elk tracks either. My hands aren’t wide but they’re long.
Oh and which one of you Wisconsin boys came to Oklahoma and didn’t tell me? Found one truck parked at the entrance with Wisconsin plates. :think:

Wasn't me there, but that's a heck of a track! Maybe I need to go there now. ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 am

Nothing like the calmness of a cold winter day with fresh snow and a fresh set of deer tracks. Makes a guy feel good to be alive. 8-)

Been scouting every weekend since the season closed but haven’t had time to post anything here. If I find anything interesting I will add it later.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 am

Dewey wrote:Nothing like the calmness of a cold winter day with fresh snow and a fresh set of deer tracks. Makes a guy feel good to be alive. 8-)

Been scouting every weekend since the season closed but haven’t had time to post anything here. If I find anything interesting I will add it later.

I couldnt agree more dewey
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 am

Dewey wrote:Nothing like the calmness of a cold winter day with fresh snow and a fresh set of deer tracks. Makes a guy feel good to be alive. 8-)

Hmm. I wouldn't know. I'm live from my office at school :lol: :cry:

Week and a half left of this stuff, and then I'll have days of scouting time 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am

Jonny wrote:

Week and a half left of this stuff, and then I'll have days of scouting time 8-)

Yea johnny but just think how important that school is for your future my brotha deer hunting scouting etc will always be there. Great job on your school bro
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Yea johnny but just think how important that school is for your future my brotha deer hunting scouting etc will always be there. Great job on your school bro

Man I don't know. This project is about as organized as a poop fight in the monkey cage at the zoo :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Not much to report from today. Seems the coyotes were out all day in the fresh snow scent checking bedding areas moving the deer around as there were tracks everywhere mostly coyote. Seems the deer just kept walking and walking never bedding. I was short on time so I did a quick speed scout covering just over 5 miles in 2.5 hours jumping in and out of bedding areas. Didn’t find one single fresh bed anywhere and found that very odd. I know the area well and where all the prime bedding is even in the winter. Seems the coyotes are really affecting bedding in the area.

Not a real productive day but still a nice day to be out.

Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 am

Looks like you better get some snares out dewey or do a little yote thinning
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 am

Last season I had bumped a target buck that was bedded 15 yards from my cam. Pulling that cam he bedded there all through the beginning of the season. I had set up shortly after that bump but didn’t dare try and bust through the 200 yards of briars. I did not get visual confirmation but a deer did work slowly and methodically from that bed until it was well into darkness where the steps increased until no longer audible.

The way this area is set up with the terrain and vegetation the wind does Some awesome stuff. Not everything is cut in stone and written in concrete. A north wind is actually curling and becoming a west wind while it does what it’s supposed to on a west. I’m unsure of what a south west wind does but will go as soon as my schedule and wind collaborate.

My set up for this bed is 60 yards from this bed and if he decides to go around a large thick patch instead of up it like the sign shows he likes to do the game is over. I’m either going to kill him or blow him out.

Yesterday was a south wind so I did some investigation and I found a bed that’s not far from the north-west bed. In fact he can move from on to the other through a tick patch of pines that connects the two. As of now with no vegetation the milkweed was flying hitting him as he lays quartering the wind. I don’t think I can get real close due to a bowl that’s going to create all sorts of havoc but I think I can monitor it from a far with a spotting scope.

This buck has a very small home range and I really think he made it. Big tracks and big bed in an area riddled of youngsters. Once snow melts off a little I’ll give the shed hunt a valiant effort.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 am

JAK wrote:Went and scouted the private land I hunt today. Scouted where we always see the bucks big swamp in the middle with some points. So I gave it the beast tactics and wow can't believe how your view of how something should be hunted after 15 years of hunting it by using beast tactics. It's amazing how you look at something different. The bedding is where we thought but seeing it makes you know that's why they come from there 8-) . And changes the whole way I'm gunna hunt it. I ever got the land owner excited over beast tactics (it was his first time ) :P

That is really cool. I have done some similar findings on old stomping grounds and it is really eye opening
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”