Buck bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Buck bed

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:04 am

I found a huge buck bed on a point this morning scouting
It has a blowdown at the bucks back as usual
Couple things that puzzle me
The buck is on the point facing the meadow ( cattails)
And the prevailing wind is usually north west which would be hitting him in his face while bedded the wind is hitting point firts then going through woods ( i hope that makes sense )
this bed is big wore down to dirt stinks hair in it poop etc. so its being used alot. There are trails going down transitions of each point the southeasterly side trail has all the rubs and a heavier trail
the rubs are huge (on big trees) also rub in bed also there is a trail going into redbrush and cattails from the bed. I really dont see or have found any satalite bedding either. Just by the rubs i would think its a mature buck
Why would this buck be facing the meadow? Isnt it more common the they would face into the point?
Opinions on why this buck would bed here like this ?
I hope this made sense lol

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck bed

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:23 am

Hard to decipher a bed I can't see... One thing I am pretty sure of, when he beds there he is looking down wind. Not wind to face. He would not bed with one side vulnerable to attack. Wind to face bedding would be really rare in mature bucks.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:15 am

Ok Does this make sense. Ill try to describe this lol
with a nw wind maybe it hits the westen side of of point and bounces the wind to the north up to the point over his back
so it would be possible for him to face the marsh and cover his back with wind ? Does that make sense? and
His back is also up against a nasty deadfall.
Lol. Thnks
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 am

From the way I'm understanding your description, it sounds like he is probably bedding there with a SW wind? Maybe you could draw a picture and post it?
I take my Bowhunting seriously
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:26 am

Put a camera on it. Then you’ll get a better understanding of how it’s being used.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 am

Mathewshooter wrote:From the way I'm understanding your description, it sounds like he is probably bedding there with a SW wind? Maybe you could draw a picture and post it?

That could be too. South west wind is early season
Prevailing wind. September/ october. Its really turned to westerly and north westerly for awhile now and he seems to be using this bed still. Im missing somthing on this bed i think. Wind swirl. Averted wind or something

I would put a pic of map on here but done know how lol

vtbuck wrote:Put a camera on it. Then you’ll get a better understanding of how it’s being used.

A camera too me especially on a bed is not in the budget right now. I dont really like cameras they spook them too much especially in an area i want to hunt every camera ive ever owned always a nice one on there once then never again. So these big boys we are after are easily spooked by cameras. I would probably use one on a food source or ag field. Never on his bed. Its an idea though thnk
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:34 am

Could a west wind be blowing work on the point if so he maybe still using it on that wind.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 am

It could a west wind is kinda blowing across the point
So maybe from watching wind videos and listening to how wind reacts
Now correct me if im wrong but it might be a west or north west wind is hitting the west side of point and bouncing up the point. Almost making a west or south west wind. Thats why hes bedding facing the marsh
Cause with the wind bouncing up to him over his back he can still bed there with wind over his back
If the wind was south east or easterly. It would do the same thing but bounce off the other side of point
Does that make sense? Lmao. Sorry. Im trying to describe it Its hard to. Considering what the wind is doing boucing off the point
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 am

TNstalker wrote:Could a west wind be blowing work on the point if so he maybe still using it on that wind.

Yea i think a nw or west wind does this thats why he bedding there
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 am

You could also just go in there with milkweed or a smoke bomb and see what the wind is doing. Theres plenty of time for him to get over the disturbance before next season
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 am

True. I think im just gonna throw a stand at it one afternoon ill sit real close to south east edge then i might be able to see the red brush beyond this bed
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:True. I think im just gonna throw a stand at it one afternoon ill sit real close to south east edge then i might be able to see the red brush beyond this bed

Didnt know your season was still open lol....you might wanna wait on that smoke bomb/milkweed thing :D
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

the only way he would bed on the wrong wind is if was so thick nothing could get close to him
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”