What Binoculars when Glassing?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Lastcast#1

Re: What Binoculars when Glassing?

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 am

Vortex 8x42.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:52 am

I have a pair of Zeiss terra ed 10x42. I really like them. If you get an 8 or 10 x 42 vortex diamond back on sale though, it would be hard to beat. I would do that if these got lost or broke.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 am

I have had the Vortex Diamondback 8X32 for a couple of years now and I find that they are good nut the eye relief is a little short for me with my glasses.

I added the Vortex Bino-Loc Hinge Lock to my binos and I really like it. It keeps the hinge locked so I'm not fiddling around with the hinge.

I just picked up the Vortex Optics Solo Monocular in 8X36 and I am looking forward to using it for my hunts this season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am

I owned a good pair of Bushnell 10x roof prism and used them for multiple seasons. I was in my stand one day hunting in a pine thicket and asked myself, why do I need 10x binos when the vast majority of my hunting is in thicker terrain? I bought some leupold Yosemite 6x binos and after using them I sold my 10x. The 6x porro prism gives better depth when viewing in my opinion and I can see more area and it's very crisp for sub $100 binos, not to mention they were much lighter than the 10x roof prism. I would give them a serious look before you pull the trigger on binos. I looked at everything cabelas, academy and other stores had before I chose the leupold Yosemite 6x binos are a big investment for me. I wish vortex still made their 6x porro binos.
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

I have yet to buy a good pair. Always seem to beat up my binos. I have had good success with the $40-50 brands at the local fleet. I just purchased a decent spotting scope for longer range and vehical time. 10x42 is my choice of power now. One day I’ll splurge on a good pair. Only negative is at low light but for the price and gauntlet I put them through no big loss.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:17 pm

365all_out wrote:I have yet to buy a good pair. Always seem to beat up my binos. I have had good success with the $40-50 brands at the local fleet. I just purchased a decent spotting scope for longer range and vehical time. 10x42 is my choice of power now. One day I’ll splurge on a good pair. Only negative is at low light but for the price and gauntlet I put them through no big loss.

check out vortex you don't need to break the bank for low light glass I can see real good with my 8x42 even after sunset
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

mnswamphunter wrote:Jason brand pre-1992 before Bushnell bought them out. They seem to have an auto focus. I like them very much. :D
They do not seem to compete with high end brands of today.
What do still hunters use in the brush? I am doing more hunting in the swamp and woods and my bino's do not seem to work very well under 70 yards in the woods/swamps. It's like the Bino does not know what to focus on when there is too much brush and grass.

This is sounding like a drawback of the auto focus style binos. I don't doubt you enjoy them and it can be useful feature.

In a still hunting/sneaking through cover situation a standard type of binos can focus and pick apart the distance near to far in search of prey. Or far to near, or any point in precise clarity . Using the focus wheel.

A stand purchase will be simple in comparison with bino shopping(LW right?). It's the same process though: research, research, get feedback. Buy quality and only cry once. For example, my father decided to buy good glass but didn't choose the proper application. Small second number and big first number 10x28 maybe. Hard to find your target in wooded situation and the high magnification could not stay steady in his older hands.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 am

justdirtyfun wrote:
mnswamphunter wrote:Jason brand pre-1992 before Bushnell bought them out. They seem to have an auto focus. I like them very much. :D
They do not seem to compete with high end brands of today.
What do still hunters use in the brush? I am doing more hunting in the swamp and woods and my bino's do not seem to work very well under 70 yards in the woods/swamps. It's like the Bino does not know what to focus on when there is too much brush and grass.

This is sounding like a drawback of the auto focus style binos. I don't doubt you enjoy them and it can be useful feature.

In a still hunting/sneaking through cover situation a standard type of binos can focus and pick apart the distance near to far in search of prey. Or far to near, or any point in precise clarity . Using the focus wheel.

A stand purchase will be simple in comparison with bino shopping(LW right?). It's the same process though: research, research, get feedback. Buy quality and only cry once. For example, my father decided to buy good glass but didn't choose the proper application. Small second number and big first number 10x28 maybe. Hard to find your target in wooded situation and the high magnification could not stay steady in his older hands.

well said that's why I use the 8 x 42 field of view and light gathering less shake less strain on eyes when glassing for long periods of time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 am

I was blown away by the quality of vortex diamondbacks at the price point. I got them in 10x42 for like $120ish on sale.

I will be replacing my cheaper scopes with diamondbacks. Using the binoculars side by side against the cheaper glass (tasco, etc...) there is no doubt in my mind that cheap scopes will cost you a shot opportunity at some point. In low light I could barely make out the deer in the scope, when I put the diamondbacks on it I was able to see detail like shoulder crease and tufts of hair on the hide.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 am

Sounds like vortex is the ticket and what I’ll be going for! :D
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 am

I have the 10x42 Bushnell HD Legend binos and not that happy with them. I dunno maybe I am expecting too much st that price point.

Anyone have any experience with these versus the Vortex Diamondbacks? I had several situations where it was hard to judge a rack in cover at a distance...2-300 yards probably. I don’t know if they are good and I am expecting too much or if they are just not very good. They are said to have ed glass with low dispersion...whatever that means.

I simply want something that does 3 things:

- doesn’t fog up easily.
-good in low light.
-clear and can make out a rack in brushy situations and at distances under 300 yards or so.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 am

I use the Vortex Diamondback binos and love them. I have the 10x42.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:49 am

Net Guy wrote:I use the Vortex Diamondback binos and love them. I have the 10x42.

I have the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 as well - went that
route vs the viper since they were less expensive. 1 season in and so far so good.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 am

Cheap Tasco 7x35's

If I can't see their rack with those, it's not a shooter!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm

I too have been using cheap glass my whole hunting career with binos. Got a pair of compact steiners once and lost them. Had a pair of nikon's a long time ago, but they were not high end. Got a pair of scorpions a few years ago and would compare them with vortex, based on my buddies. Starting to seriously consider the Maven glass.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”