age a buck by scrapes

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

age a buck by scrapes

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 am

you can age a buck by fresh random scrapes. take a look at a scrapes licking branch that is bent over on a beech tree. if its under a quarter inch its a 1.5 to 2.5 year old if its half inch and under its 2.5 to 3.5 year old if its over half inch and the tree is rubbed its a mature dominate buck. now you can back track him look for more sign connect all the dots and confirm it for yourself.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: age a buck by scrapes

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 am

ghoasthunter wrote:you can age a buck by fresh random scrapes. take a look at a scrapes licking branch that is bent over on a beech tree. if its under a quarter inch its a 1.5 to 2.5 year old if its half inch and under its 2.5 to 3.5 year old if its over half inch and the tree is rubbed its a mature dominate buck. now you can back track him look for more sign connect all the dots and confirm it for yourself.
also pay attention to poop size in scrapes at same time. mature bucks pee and poop in scrapes a lot of times. poop size will match licking branch diameter.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:you can age a buck by fresh random scrapes. take a look at a scrapes licking branch that is bent over on a beech tree. if its under a quarter inch its a 1.5 to 2.5 year old if its half inch and under its 2.5 to 3.5 year old if its over half inch and the tree is rubbed its a mature dominate buck. now you can back track him look for more sign connect all the dots and confirm it for yourself.
also pay attention to poop size in scrapes at same time. mature bucks pee and poop in scrapes a lot of times. poop size will match licking branch diameter.

:D
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 am

I run trail cameras on video mode exclusively over scrapes from the beginning of September until the end of bow season every year and I disagree 100%. First of all, darn near all the scrapes I've watched are visited by multiple different bucks. I've also watched a spot that had 2 scrapes, one with twigs for overhanging branches and the other one 10 feet away has a overhanging branch as big around as your thumb and my camera has captured small bucks hitting both scrapes at the same time. My main primary scrape I run cameras on is just a bush a little over head high basically just twigs for overhanging branches and I've captured some very large bucks working this scrape. I even had a bear on camera checking it out :D
I take my Bowhunting seriously
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 am

Mathewshooter wrote:I run trail cameras on video mode exclusively over scrapes from the beginning of September until the end of bow season every year and I disagree 100%. First of all, darn near all the scrapes I've watched are visited by multiple different bucks. I've also watched a spot that had 2 scrapes, one with twigs for overhanging branches and the other one 10 feet away has a overhanging branch as big around as your thumb and my camera has captured small bucks hitting both scrapes at the same time. My main primary scrape I run cameras on is just a bush a little over head high basically just twigs for overhanging branches and I've captured some very large bucks working this scrape. I even had a bear on camera checking it out :D

I'm not talking about community scrapes I'm talking about territorial scrapes most of them are never hit again they are made from September to mid October I only find them in big woods areas NJ PA NY
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 am

I just want to clarify these scrapes are not community scrapes they are scrapes made at random threw out a bucks travel in big woods they have no apparent meaning other than just a aggressive display saying look at me
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 am

I just want to clarify these scrapes are not community scrapes they are scrapes made at random threw out a bucks travel in big woods they have no apparent meaning other than just a aggressive display saying look at me I only find them in areas over a 1000 acers (big big woods)
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

OK
I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”