Levees

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

beartruth2

Levees

Unread postby beartruth2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am

One of the places I hunt is pretty much flat except the levee systems and there is a ton. Will bucks bed on the end of these like they do on points in hill country?

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Levees

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 am

beartruth2 wrote:One of the places I hunt is pretty much flat except the levee systems and there is a ton. Will bucks bed on the end of these like they do on points in hill country?

never hunted anything like that but it is high ground so if its holding cover on it probably would be the same concept
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Never hunted but had to go one morning duck hunting and noticed a spot where they rebuilt the leavee and it made a mini knob with tree there and there was bedding there. Also was sneaking up on some ducks on the youth hunt to get them out of the corner hoping they would go down there for my son and found a connecting leavee that had a bed on it. It was lower than the main leavee. That’s all I got but found beds on these on on top. Good luck.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I have hunted around some levees. But they are all mowed short without cover.

The most experience was related to a windward levee. The cover was upwind and during rut the bucks were stacked against the last bit of cover. Most often we are looking for bucks downwind of doe bedding and this fits that description.
The deer had learned that in the open on the levee was a great escape path since they were never surprised by hunters like in the woods /cover. Regulations were archery only and that open escape path would not be seen with gun hunting.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm

I have hunted levees in the past, and had great luck with them in otherwise flat terrain. The place I hunted didn't have any bedding so can't offer anything on that. In my case they were used as long distance travel corridors during the rut. A buck wants to smell what he can't see, and keep a visual on his downwind side that he can't smell, for this they worked great.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 am

For some people a levee will be the easiest access. And the deer have it easy watching these guys skylined on top walking in.
I hunted mornings to enter without being seen. Another extra step was walking on the side facing away from the expected deer. Once I was close to the chosen spot I would cross over quickly and perpendicular to the levee top. I wanted to minimize the time I was visible.
This was pre beast but I put some serious thought into this even then.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”