Help me with making a plan to kill!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnswamphunter

Help me with making a plan to kill!

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 am

I found a buck bed. I would like some advice on how to gather additional Intel, possible further insight and perhaps a kill strategy from the Beasts in this forum. Thanks in advance.
I do not have any photos from the scouting trip. :oops: My phone would not work because of -10 degree temps :cry: I will enclose the trail video of the smaller of the two bucks the were spotted on this property. The video was taken in the spot were the aqua blue x is. the bucks were traveling south entering the swamp.
The top of the photo is north.
The red x is the buck bed. There is a pine tree on the north side of the bed.
The dark blue x are rubs. The rubs are all facing the bed. The blue arrow is the direction the buck is traveling. :?:
The yellow lines are major deer trail. There are many other trails in this area. If I would trace them it would look like a mess.
The purple circle is a rut shotgun stand.
There is a high population of deer on this property.
The photo depicts about 30 acres of a very large swamp. 2000 acres.
The trees along the field is an Oak ridge.

I am only going to scout this area one more time. Probably will scout it before spring. The next time is a killing trip. I will add more photos to this post from the next scouting trip.

I am not able to add the video. It is too large. I will add it when I down size it.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Help me with making a plan to kill!

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 am

looks like you have two sets in a row I would setup just in the swamp off the hard woods I would try the west side with rubs first then the east the next day if wind permitting
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:39 am

ghoasthunter wrote:looks like you have two sets in a row I would setup just in the swamp off the hard woods I would try the west side with rubs first then the east the next day if wind permitting

don't forget about the dropping thermals in evening its going to hook your find trail
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:looks like you have two sets in a row I would setup just in the swamp off the hard woods I would try the west side with rubs first then the east the next day if wind permitting

don't forget about the dropping thermals in evening its going to hook your find trail

hook your wind trail lol
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 am

What are the chances that this is a rut bed?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Just a question not a doubt on the stand placement judgement of the hunter please no offense
Wouldnt the rut stand be better on the oppiste side of woods and facing the swamp especially for observation purposes? And what are the entry and exit strategies for here?
And why or what reason would that stand site be labled a rut stand?
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Just a question not a doubt on the stand placement judgement of the hunter please no offense
Wouldnt the rut stand be better on the oppiste side of woods and facing the swamp especially for observation purposes? And what are the entry and exit strategies for here?
And why or what reason would that stand site be labled a rut stand?

The stand site is a shotgun slug stand and I only use it during the rut. I thought it would to be a good spot to cover the most ground. It might not be the best spot. I seen and killed a fair amount of bucks. Out of 15 years of hunting the biggest one that I saw was 150-160 class. The vast majority of the bucks are 2.5 and under.

I think that you have a very good observation
Wouldnt the rut stand be better on the oppiste side of woods and facing the swamp especially for observation purposes?

The entry to the stand in the morning has always been a problem. The deer are feeding on the field and the only way to the stand is across the field. The best way is to follow the property line on the down wind side of the of the deer feeding. Go slow and hope you do not spook them. This kinda works.
In the evening I walk the east fence line angle to the stand about 100yards away from the trees.
I call it the rut stand because I hunt it during the rut and I see bucks chasing does.

I want to use Beast tactics to hunt the buck bed. I can also hunt it with a bow and arrow during archery season.
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 pm

mnswamphunter wrote:I found a buck bed. I would like some advice on how to gather additional Intel, possible further insight and perhaps a kill strategy from the Beasts in this forum. Thanks in advance.
I do not have any photos from the scouting trip. :oops: My phone would not work because of -10 degree temps :cry: I will enclose the trail video of the smaller of the two bucks the were spotted on this property. The video was taken in the spot were the aqua blue x is. the bucks were traveling south entering the swamp.
The top of the photo is north.
The red x is the buck bed. There is a pine tree on the north side of the bed.
The dark blue x are rubs. The rubs are all facing the bed. The blue arrow is the direction the buck is traveling. :?:
The yellow lines are major deer trail. There are many other trails in this area. If I would trace them it would look like a mess.
The purple circle is a rut shotgun stand.
There is a high population of deer on this property.
The photo depicts about 30 acres of a very large swamp. 2000 acres.
The trees along the field is an Oak ridge.

I am only going to scout this area one more time. Probably will scout it before spring. The next time is a killing trip. I will add more photos to this post from the next scouting trip.

I am not able to add the video. It is too large. I will add it when I down size it.

How can I determine which way the buck exists his bed? Also, how far he travels during day light?
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 am

I an going to look for a stand site and entrance route for the rub line east of the bed. It seems that this might be a good hunt. I am also going to do the same for the west rub line.
I am thinking that I might have a better chance to see the buck in day light hours on the east rub line. :?: what do you think?
Thanks
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:43 am

mnswamphunter wrote:

I an going to look for a stand site and entrance route for the rub line east of the bed. It seems that this might be a good hunt. I am also going to do the same for the west rub line.
I am thinking that I might have a better chance to see the buck in day light hours on the east rub line. :?: what do you think?
Thanks

you might want to think about throwing a observation stand at it from hardwoods. how far from rubs on hard woods edge from western trail too the bed is that. if its not real far say a 100 to 150 you could cut west then drop into swamp and hook back and set up twenty yards from trail and below rubs you will get some kind of thermal wind pulling to that swamp from the hard woods and rubs on that transition line between hardwoods and swamp could very well be a staging area. are the trails on east more faint and are their more tracks going one way then the other that could indicate entry and exit trails.
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
mnswamphunter wrote:

Thanks

you might want to think about throwing a observation stand at it from hardwoods. how far from rubs on hard woods edge from western trail too the bed is that. if its not real far say a 100 to 150 you could cut west then drop into swamp and hook back and set up twenty yards from trail and below rubs you will get some kind of thermal wind pulling to that swamp from the hard woods and rubs on that transition line between hardwoods and swamp could very well be a staging area. are the trails on east more faint and are their more tracks going one way then the other that could indicate entry and exit trails.

I am really like the observation stand Idea. 8-) The property line runs vertical in the photo. It is located on the edge of the hardwoods. I can not go on the neighbors property.
the hard woods and rubs on that transition line between hardwoods and swamp could very well be a staging area.

Once the deer get close to the hard woods they do not stand still very long. They might stage for a while but they seem to be on a mission to get to the field.
are the trails on east more faint and are their more tracks going one way then the other that could indicate entry and exit trails

There are trails all over in these areas. There are about 20 deer existing the swamp through the trails depicted in the photo. The yellow lines show the major trails.
I want to go out in the snow again and see if I can see a large track existing the bed and follow it. I think this is my best bet to pattern this buck.

One more thing, the buck bed is located in a staging area. I have seen deer hold up here before and do not leave until dark. I am thinking that this bed might not be his primary bed it might be a staging, rut, or a feeding bed?????? :?: :?:
Any thought will be appreciated.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 am

mnswamphunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mnswamphunter wrote:

Thanks

I am really like the observation stand Idea. 8-) The property line runs vertical in the photo. It is located on the edge of the hardwoods. I can not go on the neighbors property.
the hard woods and rubs on that transition line between hardwoods and swamp could very well be a staging area.

Once the deer get close to the hard woods they do not stand still very long. They might stage for a while but they seem to be on a mission to get to the field.
are the trails on east more faint and are their more tracks going one way then the other that could indicate entry and exit trails

There are trails all over in these areas. There are about 20 deer existing the swamp through the trails depicted in the photo. The yellow lines show the major trails.
I want to go out in the snow again and see if I can see a large track existing the bed and follow it. I think this is my best bet to pattern this buck.

One more thing, the buck bed is located in a staging area. I have seen deer hold up here before and do not leave until dark. I am thinking that this bed might not be his primary bed it might be a staging, rut, or a feeding bed?????? :?: :?:
Any thought will be appreciated.
a buck will get up and move around freely right near his bed very often they almost have a invisible line they wont cross till dark everything inside that they almost seam dumb about
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 am

Why do bucks bed in a staging area?
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 am

mnswamphunter wrote:Why do bucks bed in a staging area?

It's their safe zone.
That rode to the North East is your standard access?
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 am

Bedbug wrote:
mnswamphunter wrote:Why do bucks bed in a staging area?

It's their safe zone.
That rode to the North East is your standard access?

The road is on the neighbors property. the property line runs north and south. It is located wont he east side of the hard woods.

I wish I could access from that direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”