Post Season - Snow OR No Snow

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Snow OR No Snow

Snow
44%
No Snow
56%

Total votes: 9
Tater

Post Season - Snow OR No Snow

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 am

Curious to hear what everyones preference is for post season scouting. I can see advantage of MRI for in season scouting, but for this discussion i would like to focus on post season only.

As a newbie to beast methods i thought it may be nice having a week or so of sign to read in a new area, but i now have mixed feelings after one trip to the woods. If the snow is too deep and/or too powdery it is harder to tell what type of tracks you are looking at. Also, you can see fresh beds (since snow has been on) but if a target animal has not bedded there since snowfall, you may not see bed at all.

Interested in thoughts and ideas. Pros and cons for both. Do you look for certain things with snow, but save other things for no snow?

Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Post Season - Snow OR No Snow

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am

If I had my choice I'd pick no snow. The reason for this is what you have stated. Walking through deep snow for scouting isn't all that fun and very tiresome. You tire faster therefore scout less. Also unless it's a fresh powder the tracks or sign you come across could be days old and diminished anyway. Without the snow you can also find the old scrape lines which I like. Lastly I'd prefer no snow due to the fact that up by us you will sometimes find other people follow your tracks where you go. I'd prefer that they can't find my tracks and follow them because I wouldn't want to worry about a person walking around an area I hunt. It's hard enough getting on bucks by us. Add another hunter in the area makes it that much harder.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

^^ i agree with everything above.

More secretive while scouting<- most important for me on the public I hunt.
Can see previous scrapes.
Can see previous bedding.
Easier to walk.
Higher chance of finding shed antlers or a dead buck.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Snow make fresh sign easier to find. And lets you know what the deer are doing late season. It also lets everyone know where you're walking.

No snow. Lets you see what happened during the season. The ground is frozen, no fresh sign. Easier for walking.

I scout no matter what the conditions, because I love scouting. Basically scout solid from Jan thru Apr.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Recent discussion about snow scouting........

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43662

I prefer no snow for scouting close to bedding, but when there is snow I will walk other areas just to figure out the lay of the land and see how the deer are using it at the time.
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Ack wrote:Recent discussion about snow scouting........

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43662

I prefer no snow for scouting close to bedding, but when there is snow I will walk other areas just to figure out the lay of the land and see how the deer are using it at the time.

Thanks Ack, not sure how i missed this.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”