Marsh aerial view over the years

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Marsh aerial view over the years

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

So for those who haven't looked at my journal, I have been struggling to get away from hunters on the smaller pieces of public that I hoped were relatively unknown. Couldn't have been more wrong. So now instead of trying to figure out how to get around all the people, I am just going to focus on one or two large marshes. Should have just done that from day one instead of essentially wasting a couple days scouting.

So my question is directed at the cattail marsh guys. I have three aerial photos of the exact same spot from the last 3 years.

Year 1: June

Year 2: August

Year 3: May

So my thought is would a slight change in water levels just wipe out this strip of cattails? Almost looks too perfect to be natural. Just something I have been pondering while cyber scouting. I do have a couple spots picked out to scout soon that are well over a mile through cattails. If I find stands back there, then I know I have a talent to find stands :lol:

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Marsh aerial view over the years

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am

Water will as im sure you know. Effect bedding. Deer will not bed in water in unless its an extreme circumstance i think they can get hypothermia
Cause I actually asked a vet if deer can get cold enough to get it or gnumonia.
But from what u guys have taught me. Look for the high points or little islands. In the water. Dont give up on it
Bro. Try to pattern the hunters cause i know the deer will

And please please. How in the heck are you guys putting pics on here. I have pics i wanna post to get advice on
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Water will as im sure you know. Effect bedding. Deer will not bed in water in unless its an extreme circumstance i think they can get hypothermia
But from what u guys have taught me. Look for the high points or little islands. In the water. Dont give up on it

And please please. How in the heck are you guys putting pics on here. I have pics i wanna post to get advice on

look up postimage. Upload your picture, copy the direct link option, and paste it in the [im g] [/im g] brackets (don't use the spaces)

And I have a good idea on the bedding. Only problem is my access goes through this stuff :lol:
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Water will as im sure you know. Effect bedding. Deer will not bed in water in unless its an extreme circumstance i think they can get hypothermia

look up postimage. Upload your picture, copy the direct link option, and paste it in the [im g] [/im g] brackets (don't use the spaces)

And I have a good idea on the bedding. Only problem is my access goes through this stuff :lol:

Thnks bro.
I thought you knew or had an idea on the bedding
But this alot of nasty stuff i hunt too. And how do you access this without being up to your neck in mud on top of carrying weapon sticks xamera arm etc. i need to figure it how to just trek through this stuff too since im new to beast style marsh swamp hunting
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Thnks bro.
But this alot of nasty stuff i hunt too. And how do you access this without being up to your neck in mud on top of carrying weapon sticks xamera arm etc. i need to figure it how to just trek through this stuff too since im new to beast style marsh swamp hunting

Walk on the deer trails and step on cattail roots. And expect/prepare to get wet. I wear jungle boots so I don't collect water in my knee boots. If it was unsafe to walk, deer wouldn't do it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 am

Jonny, this is the perfect time to get back in there. Aerial can only show you so much. Stuffs frozen. Get back there and see for yourself what it looks like.

There are definitely some islands & peninsulas, that look worth checking out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Thnks bro.

Walk on the deer trails and step on cattail roots. And expect/prepare to get wet. I wear jungle boots so I don't collect water in my knee boots. If it was unsafe to walk, deer wouldn't do it.

Ok thanks johnny. I need these tips for confidence
Now. The transitions of the brush or thick stuff out in the meadows will the deer bed inside that thick brush or on the edge of it. The brush is almost like another transition line right? Cause man some of my marshes have huge huge spots out in the marshes that are as tall as like mesquite bushes you see in texas but also have dead trees in here and there. I wanna post a pic but im horrible when it comes to computers
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 pm

tgreeno wrote:Jonny, this is the perfect time to get back in there. Aerial can only show you so much. Stuffs frozen. Get back there and see for yourself what it looks like.

It definitely looks good. I do know one other beast hunts the same marsh, but I'm hoping this will be my weekday hunting. Really a plus that all the best looking stuff is over a mile through cattails. I'll be out either friday or this weekend, provided something doesn't come up.

I was just really curious about the patch of water that showed up. My path of interest takes me around it, but I will have to hunt it in stages otherwise I will blow up everything day one if I go all the way in. I'll have more aerials in my journal later once I scout it. Should be better than the other stuff I was pretty much wasting time on :pray:

Just need the cold weather to hold out, and some time off school. Need a couple days to scout all of this.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Jonny wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Jonny, this is the perfect time to get back in there. Aerial can only show you so much. Stuffs frozen. Get back there and see for yourself what it looks like.

It definitely looks good. I do know one other beast hunts the same marsh, but I'm hoping this will be my weekday hunting. Really a plus that all the best looking stuff is over a mile through cattails. I'll be out either friday or this weekend, provided something doesn't come up.

I was just really curious about the patch of water that showed up. My path of interest takes me around it, but I will have to hunt it in stages otherwise I will blow up everything day one if I go all the way in. I'll have more aerials in my journal later once I scout it. Should be better than the other stuff I was pretty much wasting time on :pray:

Just need the cold weather to hold out, and some time off school. Need a couple days to scout all of this.

Good luck johnny.
Im really curious how you make out cause im kinda in the same boat.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Thnks bro.

Ok thanks johnny. I need these tips for confidence
Now. The transitions of the brush or thick stuff out in the meadows will the deer bed inside that thick brush or on the edge of it. The brush is almost like another transition line right? Cause man some of my marshes have huge huge spots out in the marshes that are as tall as like mesquite bushes you see in texas but also have dead trees in here and there. I wanna post a pic but im horrible when it comes to computers

Yes. But there will always be a rhyme and reason for bedding. I would really suggest getting dans marsh dvd. Covers everything way better than I ever could

For pictures, these two threads should get you where you want.

Taking pictures of aerials
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39924&p=582247&hilit=snipping#p582247

Posting them
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892&p=580923&hilit=postimg#p580923
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Good luck johnny.

It's more of trying to cut my teeth at this point. I'm young and graduating in about a year, and looking to move away from home a bit. Might never hunt this property after this season, so its a great chance to make mistakes and learn things. Just trying to have fun, and keep the pressure on myself low. I'd be happy to be the guy who shoots a spike 2 miles out in the marsh and spends all night dragging.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Good luck johnny.

It's more of trying to cut my teeth at this point. I'm young and graduating in about a year, and looking to move away from home a bit. Might never hunt this property after this season, so its a great chance to make mistakes and learn things. Just trying to have fun, and keep the pressure on myself low. I'd be happy to be the guy who shoots a spike 2 miles out in the marsh and spends all night dragging.

I would feel the same way.
What are you going to school for? And congrats be proud of yourself and your achievements school is not easy bro. I wasnt offered the chance at college. Wish i was though
I think i would have loved the paties and ladies lol. Hope you still are bro. Lmao. Enjoy your youth while you still have it.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Johnny, watch that dark black area in your June photo. That is probly super deep and in winter with ice probly is very unstable. That's your tell tale hot spot in the winter.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Jeff G wrote:Johnny, watch that dark black area in your June photo. That is probly super deep and in winter with ice probly is very unstable. That's your tell tale hot spot in the winter.

Thats what ive been scared of going out into the marsh is there anything you can tell or look for that says stay off?
I have marshes along the woods transition. Then 20 -30 yards of marsh grass then the red or brown brush starts. Its where all the trails go but this brush areas are huge
Im just wondering if its safe enough to go out there
Im leary cause i really am by myself here and my wife and kids dont really know where im at
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Jeff G wrote:Johnny, watch that dark black area in your June photo. That is probly super deep and in winter with ice probly is very unstable. That's your tell tale hot spot in the winter.

Yes...Stay away from the open areas with no cats or brush, always much deeper water. The tight deer trails thru the cats are much safer any time of year!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”