PA Big Woods Buck Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

amesk31

PA Big Woods Buck Beds

Unread postby amesk31 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 am

Hey guys new to the site here. I was hoping I could get some tips or pointed in the right direction from some fellow hunters. First off I hunt the big woods of the Allegheny national forest. I have had good success archery hunting this area over the years, but the more I read on this site (great info btw) the more I keep drawing a connection between my successful hunts and buck bedding and wind directions. Its funny how I can look back and find a correlation as to why that buck I shot was there that day lol. I would really like to get gain more the understanding of buck bedding in this area. Where I hunt it mainly clear cuts and oak flats on the tops of the hills and creek bottoms (sometimes brushy and thick, others old hemlocks). Those of you who hunt similar terrain where to you find most of the active buck bedding at the 1/3 rule or down in the thick creek bottoms? Im headed up there this weekend for your annual camp trip what should i be on the look out for.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: PA Big Woods Buck Beds

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am

Another PA hunter here,

I've never hunted the big allegheny woods BUT. I know its a big plateau with steep slopes eroding into the creeks.

Find a few remote hard to access EAST facing hillsides by cyber scouting. Especially where its been clear cut on top by the DCNR if you can find it. Or simply where the forest canopy might look more dense. Reason being is that big bucks will bed right at the top edge of those steep hillsides with our common WEST wind to their back and watch down the hill. The best bedding spots will have that thick clear cut brush or dense trees/laurel behind them for cover.

Once you cyber scout a few areas. Go check them out on foot. You'll strike out in some areas but you might find what your looking for just by walking that edge where the flat peak of the ridge meets the steep slope. Walk that transition and you should get into the beds.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am

In regard to creek bottoms, I have found the flatter the terrain the better. Creek bends with steeps hills on both sides close to the water (the fast cold water streams often best for trout fishing) don't offer the thermal and sight advantage....I would think if there is adequate cover it would be wore advantageous for a buck to bed at a higher elevation overlooking the creek rather than on a bend. Slower warmer water in flatter terrain has the advantage of more consistent prevailing wind, thermals pulling scent toward water, and usually thicker cover and more escape routes. I like to look for overlooked swampy areas within the watershed. I have found areas where several creeks come together at lower elevations fit this description and are worth a look.

I have never hunter the ANF, but can relate to hunting other public lakes and reservoirs with similar terrain.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:35 am

take a look at some of the threads I've posted recently I dove into a lot of it
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”