What's in your all day scouting pack?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tater

What's in your all day scouting pack?

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 am

BH15 has a good video where he details some of his "essentials" for going into a new piece for first time intel. A friend and i are planning a 2 day scouting trip and i want to make sure i bring the essentials along. Im interested in hearing what items some of you have found are helpful to bring along. We will likely be on the woods pretty much all day long on these days.
Last edited by Tater on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
EdC

Re: What's in your all day scouting pack?

Unread postby EdC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 am

got a link to that video?
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 am

burkhart wrote:I don’t require much

Water/TP/snacks in car
Map software on phone
Phone

I think I’d add a portable charger so I can keep my phone charged.

Most of my spots have been cyber scouted first so I don’t aimlessly walk all day. I hit my high percentage areas. Then lol for and small overlooked areas. Map it all as a I walk it to review later snaps few pics And move on

There is exactly why i started this thread lol. I probably would have over looked TP . . . . . . At least for the first day!

Tater

Unread postby Tater » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 am

EdC wrote:got a link to that video?

https://youtu.be/sr0w4_HiMVg

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 am

I use to carry a pack with my stand and sticks
Stand 14 lbs sticks are 10lbs camera arm is i think 4-5 lbs
So stand hunting and filming can get heavy up to 30 lbs
My pack was full of stuff i hardly ever used
I actually got rid of my pack and now have minimized stuff i never used or needed
The things i need i carry in pockets of coveralls and saftey vest pockets
i am going to use my saddle on those long walk hunts
So when i saddle hunt i carry saddle in a pack , 4 sticks wich i have to figure out how to fasten them to my pack lol 2 flashlights bottle water and compass my phone and portable charger a compass always comes. And a platform or over center boat bukle strap and strap on steps probably close too 20 lbs of gear 25 if im filming with arm
So really if im filming. There isnt much difference in weight using saddle or stand maybe 5 lbs
Scouting i carry a back pack with toilet paper(you never know) water. 2 bottles usually. A snack granola bar or atkins bars . A compass ,a knife ,gloves ,my phone a scouting notebook i started taking notes on my areas and new ones., A whistle. I always have a whistle on me while hunting or scouting. ( you never know) and i carry cat tail puffs. Ill carry milkweed when i can get some
I started doing this to see how or what wind does around a bed ive found. I think ill use cat tails more for doing this because they are so plentyfull year round
Thats about it. I tried a fanny pack but they annoy me i have no backside im all belly. So it falls down while walking and i would need suspenders so i might as well use a pack. Its small not a big one. Walmart 15$-19.99.
Somewhere in there. I love some of the packs on the market but im not paying anywhere from 50$ to 200$ for a backpack thats insane imo. But thats me. We are all different
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 am

Stand/sticks/harness and ropes if it’s gonna be all day and I want to prep stands.

Fanny pack has a set of batteries, phone charger, water, milkweed canister, saw, pruner, zip loc bags, couple zip ties, gps, compass, knife and I will be adding tp as well.

Phone in pocket in zip loc bag if needed. Compass pinned to jacket, gps in coat pocket or clipped to pants.

If it’s a marsh in winter, I take a spud bar for a walking stick, and to check the ice. Also wear fleece lined neoprene gloves so my hands never get wet.

Might sound like a lot, but scouting is also a workout for me as well so I carry like I am going hunting. Also scout alone which is why I take a spud bar. Best way to check ice without stepping on it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P. When I am just scouting I bring my big heavy camera, a Cannon 1DS mark 111, a cumpass , and GPS, but I usually forget the T.P. I also stared bringing my Ruger SR9E with about 12 rounds in the clip. For some reason I dont carry water. It doesn't bother me but I should start. I can go a long time with ought water but will start cause it might be why I get a head ache from not having water. It must be from my mom's side. I am 32% Italian, 14% Arab , 3% black and 1% Jew. Must be those genetics that I dont seem to get thirsty very fast.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Backpack with 1 climbing stick attached- this is to hang trail cameras

Inside: water, snack bars, 1-3 trail cameras, portable phone charger with my Garmin GPS attached to my chest straps. Extra batteries for GPS helps too

IF I'm not hanging any trail cameras, I do not bring anything but a gps and maybe a water bottle. MIGHT bring a portable battery charger pack for the cell phone

I keep it light as possible, I'll do a lot of walking and want to keep the pace up to reach multiple areas.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 pm

If you ever see a hunter come out of the woods with no sleeves on his shirt, it's a good bet he didn't have t.p. with him on the way in. :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Same stuff I take hunting, minus the stand, sticks, harness, bow, arrows, release.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Pocket knife
compass
tp
ibuprofen
Benadryl if it’s warm out in case I get stung
some kind of more powerful pain killer in case I get a kidney stone
water
an extra layer or two if it’s cold
flashlight
extra batteries for gps and light

GPS and phone is in my pocket
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

ihookem wrote:Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P.

Hey little tip for tracking maybe you know instead of using colored tape use actual toilet paper it works great blood trailing and you dont have to collect it after you are done it breaks down and disappears as soon as it rains its great
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

ihookem wrote:Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P.

Hey little tip for tracking maybe you know instead of using colored tape use actual toilet paper it works great blood trailing and you dont have to collect it after you are done it breaks down and disappears as soon as it rains its great

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”