Finding patterns

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Finding patterns

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:52 am

I want to share with you guys the importance of ageing deer sign to find patterns during the scouting season. every little bit sign is all part of the big picture identifying how old sign is a key in scouting to make a plan threw out the following year. you must be able to age poop rubs scrapes beds ect. poop in bedding areas will tell you what time of year its being used if its broken down close to dirt again you know this is old but how old well a lot can factor how much overhead cover is their rain degrades poop. once you can age it now you know this area is say early season rut late season. rubs are the same how dry is it what type of tree is it some trees tend to be rubbed earlier in the year. some beds are going to become active for food sources some for rut some for shelter in winter. all scrapes are important the oldest scrapes can put you on some real good September October buck bedding. even trails will tell you age if the line is their but the leaves are not being worn down its likely a trail used in early fall or even summer. all these clues put together can put you on a pattern for the following year every situation is different so this is something that is learned from observation so next time you see a pile of poo or a rub scrape or bed come back and look at it periodically threw out the season. it will speed up you scouting time and allow you to focus on figuring out a spot and stand setup for different times of year. now you can overlay all this info on a map and see how buck core areas shift threw out the season circle each section of aged sign in a different color pen then according to season put all your time in those circled areas. you will also see where all the circled areas over lap this will normally be the spot you will get the most deer activity threw out the whole season.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Finding patterns

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 am

Good post. Something to keep in mind, i always spend time trying to determine what time frame an area is used. It helps having some kinda of clue or a good guess to when to plan the attack!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Good post. Something to keep in mind, i always spend time trying to determine what time frame an area is used. It helps having some kinda of clue or a good guess to when to plan the attack!

right on overlaying this with understanding wind and thermals and how they flow over terrain will put you right on top of deer every day just buy looking at a map
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:01 am

I really like your suggestion at the end.
Finding the overlaps of different aged sign.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:10 am

Bedbug wrote:I really like your suggestion at the end.

if you can find bedding in those locations you are onto a awesome spot
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am

ghoasthunter wrote:

That is something I need to do a better job of when I scout.

Thanks boys!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

Imagehear is a ruff example of one of my spots I have a seasonal pattern. (A) is a 200 acer clear cut that's around 10 to 15 years old cut in small blocks within. it sits right on a the lower one third of a mountain but because of the size of the mountain and shape it can have multiple upper 1/3 style bedding the interior of the cut has many small points benches and shelves that the mature bucks use for preferred bedding above the clear cuts is rolling hill style open old growth hardwoods with red oaks and chestnut oaks and beach trees and old growth 150 foot tall pines. trees are heavily mixed.
(B) is another clear cut surrounded by thick cedar with all the same terrain features as (A) the distance between (A) and (B) is around 1.5 miles and follows the same elevation it is also in big dark pines line smack in the middle is a deep drainage the drainage flows down threw pines into (C) a giant web of connecting brooks and beaver swamps on the river bottom their is willows, red brush, brier thickets, large sugar maples, and white oaks. so hear is pattern based on the age of the sign in the bedding areas and around. September the white oaks are dropping so the mature bucks are in both clear cuts they drop down the drainage a half mile below at night to feed on acorns. then travel all the way back up to bed. come October the whites are dried up now the bucks are starting to make scrapes around bedding areas the bucks then flow up hill to the mass crops on higher elevations at this same time the hunting pressure is increasing on the left side of (A) and right side of (B) choking the bucks too the middle buy the drainage where its safer wind with the steep walls and steep and nasty terrain making less hunting pressure. now come rut the bucks start dropping down the drainage and hitting the swampy river bottom again because of a high doe populations. they run the top edge of (A) and (B) using the wind tunnel to scent check does then filter up into the open woods above at night to chase does in the open hardwoods. come mid November the bucks get a wall of pressure from bottom of bedding (C) pushing the bucks up to higher elevations near clear cuts in daylight once rut is over they stop using the swamps for most part again and focus on feeding in open hardwoods to top. then cold windy winter sets in and a majority of bucks start using the micro climate in cedars around (B) for shelter in bad weather. on warmer days they feed in clear cuts and down in bedding (C) but once the storms move in they are right back up in bedding area (B) till the storm subsides. this intel was all gathered off aging sign and sitting on stand and trail cameras to confirm.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 am

Babshaft wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

That is something I need to do a better job of when I scout.

Thanks boys!

glad I can help

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”