Deer beds, snowy swamp

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

Deer beds, snowy swamp

Unread postby crackehelmet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm

I went and scouted a swap today. I've never found deer beds before, so I'm pretty excited.

The only access to this WMA is from the north. There is a smallish stand of heavily trafficked hardwoods edged by swamp by the parking area. I passed that area up and headed south through the frozen over swamp to the first major hardwood island. There is a point from the island that tapers off to an individual tree. In the first picture the tip of the point/tree is a little right of center and a ways away. I expected to find a bed there, but the area under the tree was full of snow and it does not look like anything has been there. The 2nd picture is just a closer view of the tree on the end of the point. I was wondering if the way the bark is cleaned off of the stick in the 3rd picture might be some kind of sign that something beds here? I saw it in areas I thought would hold beds at the marsh I previously scouted (though I didn't find anything I could ID as a bed)

I was disappointed to find that point empty, but I followed the edge around and found this. Even found hairs in it. Funny thing is, that very first picture of the point I posted was taken while standing in this bed. 3rd pic is just view from bed. I didn't find any other beds along this edge. I don't know how to tell if this is a buck or doe bed, other than it has the back stop so i'm leaning toward (hoping?) it's a buck bed.

after walking that edge until reaching a private land boundary I cut over the island. The interior of the island was filled with deer tracks. On the other side of the island I walked the edge of a bowl and came across a bunch of beds, chained along the edge of the bowl but all within 15 - 20 feet of another bed. I think that this is a doe bedding area?

I also found this on a trail leading off the point of a large dogwood path to the wood island. Could this be a yearly rub or is it just a messed up tree?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Deer beds, snowy swamp

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 am

At the start of your post you mentioned you found what looked like a potential buck bed by a tree but it was snow filled and there was no recent bedding there.

Don't let the snow stop you, I've found many buck beds that were snow covered and there were no obvious nearby rubs. I can find them quickly but I have decades of experience with snow beds. Honestly, even though it is filled in with snow I am already 75% sure its a buck bed.

When I see a spot that I believe is a buck bed and it is full of snow, I kick the snow away down to the hard bed surface...

Then, with a gloved hand I use my fingers to scratch the snow / ice / dirt. Then I sift through the debris and find deer hair the vast majority of the time.

Mission accomplished.

Bridge

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”