scouted this island today need advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: scouted this island today need advice

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 am

headgear wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:In my opinion I wouldn’t preset at stand on the island. I’d run and gun. This is my reasoning and thoughts.

On this island, it looks like a sanctuary or a safe haven for deer. If it’s tough to get to which it seems, nobody goes back there. If you preset a stand, the deer will adjust to it and move around it. Not by it. Especially mature bucks. In my experience of what I know and heard, if you are in an area where mature bucks hide out where there isn’t sign of people, the bucks tolerate very little. If you setup a stand, you risk pushing the bucks out of there.

But only one way to find out.

This is essentially why most of us hunt 100% mobile every set, sometimes the wind is just off for that tree you pick out in the spring or once you get in there you see fresh sign in a new spot and need to adjust last minute. Northwoods you should checkout a an old thread about sanctuaries, a very good read. Better schedule some time, lots o pages.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3662

I read the first two pages so far. I guess to be clear, when I said sanctuary I meant a place that the deer feel safe and therefore bed. I didn't by no means that it shouldn't be hunted. I guess I don't view a sanctuary as off limits. I just view it as like I said a place where the deer feel safe. Maybe I used the word wrong. :D

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: scouted this island today need advice

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 am

headgear wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:In my opinion I wouldn’t preset at stand on the island. I’d run and gun. This is my reasoning and thoughts.

On this island, it looks like a sanctuary or a safe haven for deer. If it’s tough to get to which it seems, nobody goes back there. If you preset a stand, the deer will adjust to it and move around it. Not by it. Especially mature bucks. In my experience of what I know and heard, if you are in an area where mature bucks hide out where there isn’t sign of people, the bucks tolerate very little. If you setup a stand, you risk pushing the bucks out of there.

But only one way to find out.

This is essentially why most of us hunt 100% mobile every set, sometimes the wind is just off for that tree you pick out in the spring or once you get in there you see fresh sign in a new spot and need to adjust last minute. Northwoods you should checkout a an old thread about sanctuaries, a very good read. Better schedule some time, lots o pages.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3662

Me tok thAnks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”