Scariest moment in my life....

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Scariest moment in my life....

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

Jonny wrote:
ihookem wrote:I have been carrying for many years up in Price / Sawyer co. Wisconsin , but mostly for squirrels and porcupines. Now days, down in S.E. WIs. I carry cause I see some very big dog or coy dog tracks and a dog is not as afraid and may be more dangerous. In all my years up north , I have yet to see a wolf ,bear or bobcat while scouting and only one bear while hunting. As for people, I have never been bothered. I did come across a person in the Flambeau River State Forest but that was in 1994 and have not see a hunter back there since 2009. If I see a wolf that does not run, I think it is a threat. Weather I tell the DNR, I'm not so sure I need to by constitutional law I dont have to incriminate against myself. ??? No? I think dogs are worse. When I was 12 , I got bit in the but real bad by a dog. I was so scared to deliver the paper ( paper boy) that I carried a softball size rock with me . It came out on the road so it was off it's property, It lunged at me again and threw the rock as hard as I could at it just in time for him to turn to dodge the rock, it hit him just behind the ear. It yelped real loud and stumbled away back home . A few days later , I heard that it had died. I din't say anything , and if anyone did see me throw a rock , I had teeth marks in my 12 yr old but to prove it was self defense. . .. and it hurt bad. The only other time I was attacked was ( dont laugh) was when I was checking the mail and a muskrat came after me . I jumped back and got out of there. It could have had rabies. A few minutes later the 22 LR took care of the problem. Now days I carry a gun, never know .

My neighbor had a dog that bit multiple people. Wouldn’t do a thing about it and denied it since the dog might’ve weighed 20lbs. But bit enough to really damage some ankles. Draw blood and put a couple kids on crutches. So when the time came when the dog wanted to bite me when I got home from work I did the right thing.

Gave it the size 15 steel toe and punted it back across the street. Dog never left the yard again. I love dogs but bad owners can really ruin them

Couldnt agree more johnny just like kids. The behavior is reflected by the up bringer. Im a huge dog lover Pit bulls or rottys get a bad rap for being mean and fighters
But i know people that have both pits and rotties and raised them to be big cuddly babies. But will still defend their owners and properties from unwanted riff raff.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am

Glad you're ok man but what a wicked cool story man!!! Helluva a experience to share forever! Crazy! Cant feel those emotions on the couch watching netflix
southernyankee

Unread postby southernyankee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Coyotes, bobcats, and black bear roam here in Pa. I am definitely more fearful of crazy humans. Wolves don't chill my spine nearly as much as cougars. The attitude difference between pet dogs and cats is the driving force behind my fear of cougars. You can own a dog be it's alpha, but you seldom see a cat who has an owner. They more so coexist with their people.

Ive thought the same thing for a long time. Cats are freaking crazy animals. I always feel like they're plotting to kill you. Not to mention that big cats are obligate carnivores so simply based on natural selection they have to be more effective predators than wolves
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Swampbuck wrote:I'll take the snakes and gators here... wolves are on a different level of scary.

Haha, it is funny how different a matter of perspective is based on location. I would take a pack of wolves over your slithering beasts and swamp dinosaurs.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm glad you made it out safely. It sure makes for a great story, and yet another good reminder why I am now carrying a pistol on me in the woods.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 am

Octang wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I'll take the snakes and gators here... wolves are on a different level of scary.

Haha, it is funny how different a matter of perspective is based on location. I would take a pack of wolves over your slithering beasts and swamp dinosaurs.

I guess my good old SE Michigan isn't too bad. No wolves, bears, cougars, venomous snakes, overly large spiders, or gators... I think yellow jackets are about the worst thing going here.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am

That's a cool encounter if you ask me. I've had 2 close encounters in the dark with them. One time a pack of 6 surrounded my wife and I and the one in front was whimpering in excitement. No shots fired either. Much like Dewey, they followed us out also, but at a safe distance. Much respect for those animals. They are not afraid of humans where I hunt. But they show their respect towards us. More so curiosity from what I've seen. Cougar, That's the only animal I could care less to see. Just enjoy the adventure and know your safer alone, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere. Then walking street side in Milwaukee! Or any major city. Your encounter was much like mine. A lesson learned. Always carry...
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

sureshotscott wrote:Maybe I missed but what state was this in?

Interesting how your dog's instincts kicked in like that.

Cool story, thanks.

Northern Wisconsin!

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Dewey wrote:About 15 years ago while late season bowhunting up in NW Vilas County I had a pack follow me out of the woods after dark. They never got closer than 20 yards but since I was only carrying my bow it made for a but puckering experience. Pretty happy to see my truck after a pretty long hike. On my way in that day I saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow all over the area. Didn't think much of it because it's very common. A few years later while snowmobiling in the same general area I had a HUGE pure black wolf jump across the trail. When you see a big one like that there is no doubt in your mind they are pure killing machines. I carry every time now. Pretty dumb not to.

Haha!!! That will wake a guy up!!

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:38 pm

MikePerry wrote:Glad we don’t have wolves around here, that would be scary for sure!

Few years ago I had a estimated 300 pound black bear face to face with me on the ground, I started video taping him on my phone and could not believe he just kept coming toward me until he was about 5 feet away, I started talking to him and he just held his ground for about 10 seconds until he turned and ran, then he came back a few minutes later, I stood up and yelled he ran a ways and started coming back again, I was hunting for a doe on the ground in the edge of standing corn, I decided that I didn’t need a foe that bad when he started back the third time.

I was scouting a frozen swamp yesterday and jumped a nice buck out of a bed, I followed him hoping to learn where he felt comfortable to move through that public swamp, he took me to what I’d call a micro island maybe 8-10 feet in elevation higher than the rest of the terrain with a handful of swamp oaks on it, I smelled a musky skunk smell when the wind picked up, I continued to follow the buck tracks and came across a fresh set of bear tracks in the snow, I back tracked them to this what looked like a nest in the red brush about 18-24 inches down in the ice and snow, it was roughly 2 feet around and the sapling next to it had the bark peeled aprox 3-4 feet up from the nest, I always thought bears hibernate under ground and have never found anything like that in NW PA especially in February, funny thing is I always carry bear spray when hunting or scouting this swamp and before I left my girlfriend said don’t forget your bear spray and I told her how bears are not out this time of year, got the I told you so for that one.
I've had some spooky encounters with bears myself nothing wakes you up faster at 530 in morning than a bear chattering his teeth at you at 5 yards in a black thick swamp. bears in swamps cant den cuz of the water table they sleep in nests year round females give birth in nests above ground and lay over there cubs all winter long to keep them warm. I bet the nests are what people find when they think they found bigfoot lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Thats nuts! Glad you and Leo made it out in 1 piece. I have had a few semi-scary encounters with coyotes, but nothing to that level of terror!

Once, 3 coyotes came out from a swamp and I shot the biggest with my bow, 30 yards broadside. When I got down to recover the dog, I tracked it deep into the tall green cattails from which they came from. I had my head down on blood when I discovered that I didn't smoke him like I thought I did. He was angry, close and very much still alive. Maybe two yards away from me it let out a loud bark, snap and ran at me. I jumped off the deer trail into the water and then instinctively shot again, hitting it in the hind quarter which ultimately put it down. It all happened so fast and really made me think about the other yotes that were with him. I know it was only a 45 pound yote, but that thing looked huge running past me!

Thank god theres no wolves where I'm at!!
Whopper Stopper

Unread postby Whopper Stopper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 am

Happy to hear everything worked out for you, and your dog. Lots of stories about bear and coon hounds meeting horrid deaths when encountering wolves while following a track through the swamps and timber. There is nothing pretty with the the carnage wolves are capable of leaving in their wake.

My prime hunting area covers a section of remoteness in NW WI. Over the last 40+ years I have encountered plenty of critters while poking around in the swamps or brush either pre-dawn or after dark. Whether it be badgers, porcupines, fishers, coon, coyotes or aggressive dogs, I long ago made sure to incorporate some sort of equalizer. If I am hunting I keep a side arm on the hip, when scouting I carry an 870 Rem filled with an assortment of shrapnel.

I have never bumped into wolves although have had them under my tree a time or two, and on trail cameras. Probably my worst encounter was with the two legged variety of ugly, something about being outnumbered I have never liked. My area seems to be a haven for drugs and meth, Point being these days you just never know what form of problem you may encounter, stay prepared.

WS
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:07 pm

pretty incredible story.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”