Getting lost

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Getting lost

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:09 am

Ok i know alot of newbie hunters are a little nervous of getting lost in woods.i used to get like this but those days are long gone and in the past my wife and kids always say how do you go out there in the pitch black? Lol. I just say im used to it and there isnt anything in these woods thats gonna hurt you more than yourself. We dont have bears wolves mnt lions etc. we have yotes thats it so ive been there though Especially after an afternoon hunt is over. Ive been way way back in a few spots where ive wrapped up early and was a little nervous treking through a swamp or thicket. We beast hunters need to push way way back and get away from everyone else
Id like to hear some ideas or insight on how to be more confident in entering and exiting without using tacks ( bright eyes ) glow tape, pin tacks etc. anyone?

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Getting lost

Unread postby Tim H » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 am

In the big woods I am a little leery of my surroundings on certain days, times of the day, and certain times of the year. Summer and early season I think about running into a mama bear and her cubs. Where I am, that's a possibility because we have a high density of black bears. In the morning or at dark I'm concerned of a couple things. We have enough wolves and wolf sign in the area to be cautious. When I walk out, I walk tall, confident, and with a purpose. Another thing I think about is getting run over by a deer in the dark. Occasionally a deer will run right at you when you're walking through. But with anything it's really practice and experience. The more you do it, more confident you get and the more experience you have. I think taking a light and compass are extremely important. Also having someone know where you are is comforting. Because in the event something happens, at least you have that assurance that someone will come looking for you. If anything I'd recommend taking steps in this process. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 am

A nice bright headlamp will turn night into day. Compass, gps. Having a small wrist compass that you can glance at often helps with thick woods at night.

Don't be too quiet and critters will generally avoid you.

From time to time, if I'm going through a thick/technical section, or just have to get out of the woods fast, I will drop brighteyes as I walk in, marking my first and last brighteyes on my gps. Then I collect them up again as I walk out. Keeps me on the same trail I walked in on in those thick/ deep areas.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 am

A phone with GPS and a backup GPS if your im a remote area
Make It Happen
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am

A good head lamp and a good GPS. Have the GPS track you on the way in so you can just follow your trail back out if you have to hit a certain point. Also the more you hunt and scout a certain area the more fimilar you will become with it and the more comfortable you will be there in the dark.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 am

Keep your head up as much as possible. It’s really easy to get turned around or lost when you’re walking and staring at the ground. This happens a lot when people are focused on the ground looking for blood when tracking a deer.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 am

Gps is nice for navigating around water or other obstacles in the dark, but for most areas I just take a bearing on the compass and go. Bright headlamp certainly helps.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Gps is nice for navigating around water or other obstacles in the dark, but for most areas I just take a bearing on the compass and go. Bright headlamp certainly helps.

X2

In reality...The more you navigate in the dark, the more comfortable you become with it!

One thing I've always done when in unfamiliar areas is: As you're walking in for an evening hunt. Keep looking back as you walk in, to see what it's gonna look like walking out. This will help give you a mental picture of your exit view in the dark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 am

tgreeno wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Gps is nice for navigating around water or other obstacles in the dark, but for most areas I just take a bearing on the compass and go. Bright headlamp certainly helps.

X2

In reality...The more you navigate in the dark, the more comfortable you become with it!

One thing I've always done when in unfamiliar areas is: As you're walking in for an evening hunt. Keep looking back as you walk in, to see what it's gonna look like walking out. This will help give you a mental picture of your exit view in the dark.

I can't second looking back as your going enough, especially when you get to easily recognizable land features (a massive rock, new body of water, new ridge etc.).

I also noticed the few times I did get turned around I had my head down and wasn't paying attention. Every time I went around something I went to the left of it. If you keep doing that you'll do a circle. Sounds stupid but it's pretty easy to keep going to the left/right of a tree, bush, puddle, swamp and now you're turned around.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 am

i have friends that just cant get over the fear of going deep. like any fear you have to work real hard at overcoming. ( like flying ) lol.
im lucky because i guess its in my blood.
prepare to stay all night. let people know where you are. have good lights, compasses, gps .
these things will build confidence. so will doing it again and again.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 am

i will add that i have a lot of practice because people have been telling me to get lost my whole life.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 am

Getting lost is half the fun. Found some awesome hunting spots when lost but the problem is finding them again in the future. :lol:

These days with a gps, smartphone and other technology it’s just about impossible to get lost. We’re always connected to help. I miss the old days when you better know what your doing because no help will be available. Now I see people navigating in areas I never have before and of course they are staring at a gps or phone. Bet a majority of them would be completely lost if that stuff failed. Always carry a compass and paper map then learn how to use them in areas you are not familiar with.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 am

magicman54494 wrote:i will add that i have a lot of practice because people have been telling me to get lost my whole life.

Me too lmao
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:03 am

magicman54494 wrote:i have friends that just cant get over the fear of going deep. like any fear you have to work real hard at overcoming. ( like flying ) lol.
im lucky because i guess its in my blood.
prepare to stay all night. let people know where you are. have good lights, compasses, gps .
these things will build confidence. so will doing it again and again.

I whooped on my fear of flying couple of weeks ago as we all seen lol
harold

Unread postby harold » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 am

This has already been said by many, but learn to use a compass. Anything electronic can and will fail. They're great until they are not.

In the event you do get turned around make sure you know the longest linear feature in the area and its direction. Take for instance a pipeline that runs more or less east to west. If I am south of that pipeline, all I need to do is walk north and I won't miss it. It may be a long rugged hike, but you will eventually get there and then can find your way out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”