Help with Aerial photo/ going in blind

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HKC

Help with Aerial photo/ going in blind

Unread postby HKC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 am

Hi all! Im a US Marine, stationed in Okinawa for the next 3 years.

I plan on going home yearly during Nov to the states. My wife's family live near some public hunting land, and I'd like to take a peak into the woods for some monster bucks. I legitimately have maybe 6 days to hunt during the rut-ish time, and this land is my only option. Never hunted it, made some assumptions.

My analysis:
COA1: I believe the does are bedding in the pine thickets and move from S to N into the (2) fields. The bucks bed on the points, and run the upper 1/3 ridge and move from W-E prior to turning S into either field to feed. This enables the bucks to sent check the does during the rut.

Exploitation: I would need
1) A N to S wind or W to east Wind (depending on which bedding area i chose to hunt).
2) Enter the woods and establish a stand near the NE corner of the field (distance from bedding to field is 225M, and bedding lies outside public boundry)
3) Enter the woods between the (2) points, and establish a stand and wait to intercept the bucks as the move to the field.

Please rip this apart, I'm genuinely looking to improve. Semper Fi!

*Rounds Complete on 1*

“Wind in the face, gun in the case”
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Help with Aerial photo/ going in blind

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 am

Id say study those maps look for the thickest or wetest nast terrain around. And scout for buck beds with stand on back Gotta find those beds. Be real suprised if those monster bucks showed their face in any corner of an open field during daylight hours. Just get as close to those buck beds as you can Good luck keep us posted
HKC

Unread postby HKC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am

Definitely need to find the thick areas. Appreciate the assist!
“Wind in the face, gun in the case”
southernyankee

Unread postby southernyankee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm

You need to look at more than just aerials. topo's, lidar(if you can find it), maybe even go to ARCgis and see if you can find leaf-off aerials or multiple years worth of imagery. I'm in school for that type of thing so i stare at and make maps all day using GIS software. If you need any help finding resources for the area youre looking to hunt. May be able to get you some data thats not necessarily free/open online depending on the area. Feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”