No Rubs in or around beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

No Rubs in or around beds

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 am

Hey guys, so a few days ago I did some scouting and found what i was looking for. I ariel scouting a piece and immediately was drawn to a small defined point that sets up for the predominant wind for our area. This point is seriously overlooked i think. its close to a road and basically in between houses, but there is no human sign at all. This piece gets hammered, and i have a decent idea on where most of the pressure is and it is not here. I found a ton of beds, couple clusters of doe beds more on the ridge of the point, with multiple worn down beds on the tip of the point. It screams overlooked bed room. I found one fairly large track, and a couple piles of some large poop. Nothing HUGE but fairly large. So i like the spot, but I never found a single rub within 150 yards. I think I have read on here of similar instances, anyone care to share experiences?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: No Rubs in or around beds

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 am

I have heard Dan mention that he has good bedding areas with little to no rubs. It has alot to do with buck competition and density. I've also heard him say, "really mature (5-6yr old) bucks don't rubs much.

For me, security is the #1 thing I look for in a primary bedding area. I think that spot sounds like it has good potential. I wouldn't let the lack of rubs worry you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 am

Might be a summer bed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 am

Stanley wrote:Might be a summer bed.

I thought the same thing when I read the post. In the summer there is a lot more cover and the mature bucks might feel secure in between the houses on that point. Once hard antlered and less cover in the fall, they might go and bed else where.

I get burned by this a lot during summer scouting. I found beds that don't get used in fall/winter.

I could be totally wrong here too! If that bed is 5ft long and is matted down with hair then I'm wrong...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 am

Probably an older buck. Dan did also tell me alot older bucks will do less rubbing they dont have to the younger ones know already. And also could be buck doe ratio. No competition from other bucks will make bucks make less rubs and scrapes. They dont have too
I would throw a few sits at this spot at least 3. Early rut and late.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 am

As stated, could be summer beds, or just could be no rubs nearby. It is rare that I see rubs next to buck beds, but no rubs within 150 yards is a little odd. I would think even summer buck beds might have rubs from shedding velvet though. Put up a trail cam and see...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 am

Oh. ok good luck brotha
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

if it looks real good throw a camera on it and let it soak bucks don't rub as much after rut also and if you get alot of pressure they could shift to it later in year could be winter bedding also.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:12 am

Or just next season throw a sit at it see what happens.
An observation sit is usually where it all starts

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”