Finding Beds After Hard Rain??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

Finding Beds After Hard Rain??

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:54 am

Its been storming for a few days. I've been planning a hill country scout for a while. I still want to go out Saturday. The rain seems to have stopped since this morning. Is it still worthwhile to look for beds, scrapes? Im worried they'll be washed away. Particularly the bedding. Might be a good chance to see fresh bedding in last 24 hours?

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Finding Beds After Hard Rain??

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:33 am

I'd go if I was you any scouting is better than none
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:16 pm

even if you cant see the bed look for clues for where it could be poop and rubs and traditional buck beds on top 1/3 they like laurel and finger size whips for backstops in pa a hemlock tree over head will be a more active bed. big bucks love 1 to 2 acer clumps of laurel on points and benches that are set back from the edge 30 to 80 yards they will have several beds for multiple winds positioned around them with the most active one on the front of point they will normally enter this type of bedding with a j hook up the drainages on either side or traveling down to the wind tunnel and following that. north pointing points on NE ridges seam to be the best they should look like a hooked spur on a topo. they bed these with a double thermal and facing off the edge and laurel as a backstop. they seam to be year round bedding also.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:40 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:even if you cant see the bed look for clues for where it could be poop and rubs and traditional buck beds on top 1/3 they like laurel and finger size whips for backstops in pa a hemlock tree over head will be a more active bed. big bucks love 1 to 2 acer clumps of laurel on points and benches that are set back from the edge 30 to 80 yards they will have several beds for multiple winds positioned around them with the most active one on the front of point they will normally enter this type of bedding with a j hook up the drainages on either side or traveling down to the wind tunnel and following that. north pointing points on NE ridges seam to be the best they should look like a hooked spur on a topo. they bed these with a double thermal and facing off the edge and laurel as a backstop. they seam to be year round bedding also.

You say north points on a NE facing ridge.... Are you assuming common west wind? That's typically what I have.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:even if you cant see the bed look for clues for where it could be poop and rubs and traditional buck beds on top 1/3 they like laurel and finger size whips for backstops in pa a hemlock tree over head will be a more active bed. big bucks love 1 to 2 acer clumps of laurel on points and benches that are set back from the edge 30 to 80 yards they will have several beds for multiple winds positioned around them with the most active one on the front of point they will normally enter this type of bedding with a j hook up the drainages on either side or traveling down to the wind tunnel and following that. north pointing points on NE ridges seam to be the best they should look like a hooked spur on a topo. they bed these with a double thermal and facing off the edge and laurel as a backstop. they seam to be year round bedding also.

You say north points on a NE facing ridge.... Are you assuming common west wind? That's typically what I have.
my common winds are from east so for you its going to be north east facing points look for a dog ear shaped points so you get a thermal wind tunnel with a bowl shaped drainage between point and primary ridge
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Dumb new guy here, what’s a whip? I’ll look up laurel but what’s that? When I google vegetation I normally don’t get images that help me figure out what I should be looking for in the woods.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 pm

NH Teufelhund wrote:Dumb new guy here, what’s a whip? I’ll look up laurel but what’s that? When I google vegetation I normally don’t get images that help me figure out what I should be looking for in the woods.

small saplings that are head height and inch to half in in diameter that whip you in the face while walking 8-)
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:

my common winds are from east so for you its going to be north east facing points look for a dog ear shaped points so you get a thermal wind tunnel with a bowl shaped drainage between point and primary ridge

Image dog ear shaped point with extra thick whips or laurel on top
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
NH Teufelhund wrote:Dumb new guy here, what’s a whip? I’ll look up laurel but what’s that? When I google vegetation I normally don’t get images that help me figure out what I should be looking for in the woods.

small saplings that are head height and inch to half in in diameter that whip you in the face while walking 8-)

What's a dog ear? Lol. I've got lots of NE facing points. But not sure if its a dog ear. I understand what you mean about the thermals though, for the most part.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:33 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

What's a dog ear? Lol. I've got lots of NE facing points. But not sure if its a dog ear. I understand what you mean about the thermals though, for the most part.

Disregard my post above. I see that image now, Thanks!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

they will hold big bucks in elevations lower than 1/3 also think cliffs boulders or super steep above base of dog ear
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Pretty good stuff Ghost! What is a double thermal though? Also would you mind drawing how they would j hook here. I always thought they would travel elevation then drop down when getting new close to the bed and hook in.

I did see a buck last season that came up a bluff then hooked in but actually hooked around and upwind of the bed then dropping in. I think it was because it would force any predator following the trail to come in so the buck could smell him in plenty of time
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

they will hold big bucks in elevations lower than 1/3 also think cliffs boulders or super steep above base of dog ear

what happens that creates preferred bedding is the buck gets a normal thermal rise of outside face then the drainage pulls air from extra far distances and the wind blowing over ridge dumps the thermal right on the bedding so he's getting three winds. the laurel is brittle so can hear for a long way behind and he can see 300 degrees. I set up for this bedding at base of dog ear on outside edge in the wind tunnel.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:

Gatcha!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 pm

checkerfred wrote:Pretty good stuff Ghost! What is a double thermal though? Also would you mind drawing how they would j hook here. I always thought they would travel elevation then drop down when getting new close to the bed and hook in.

I did see a buck last season that came up a bluff then hooked in but actually hooked around and upwind of the bed then dropping in. I think it was because it would force any predator following the trail to come in so the buck could smell him in plenty of time

Image the straight arrows are the primary wind snaking arrow thermal circle arrow double swirl x is stand bucks will bed hear on just about any wind. he enters threw the drainage in dark using dropping thermal or strait up outside with a drop or outside edge in wind tunnel in a rising thermal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”