Finding Beds After Hard Rain??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Finding Beds After Hard Rain??

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:12 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:Pretty good stuff Ghost! What is a double thermal though? Also would you mind drawing how they would j hook here. I always thought they would travel elevation then drop down when getting new close to the bed and hook in.

I did see a buck last season that came up a bluff then hooked in but actually hooked around and upwind of the bed then dropping in. I think it was because it would force any predator following the trail to come in so the buck could smell him in plenty of time

Image the straight arrows are the primary wind snaking arrow thermal circle arrow double swirl x is stand bucks will bed hear on just about any wind. he enters threw the drainage in dark using dropping thermal or strait up outside with a drop or outside edge in wind tunnel in a rising thermal.
I find beds that are less used closer to base of dog ear near to stand in picture I think they are used when the buck comes in late and has to watch his back trail from walking the wind tunnel. also don't expect to find a lot of rubs in something like this nobody is messing with the kings bedding.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:Pretty good stuff Ghost! What is a double thermal though? Also would you mind drawing how they would j hook here. I always thought they would travel elevation then drop down when getting new close to the bed and hook in.

I did see a buck last season that came up a bluff then hooked in but actually hooked around and upwind of the bed then dropping in. I think it was because it would force any predator following the trail to come in so the buck could smell him in plenty of time

Image the straight arrows are the primary wind snaking arrow thermal circle arrow double swirl x is stand bucks will bed hear on just about any wind. he enters threw the drainage in dark using dropping thermal or strait up outside with a drop or outside edge in wind tunnel in a rising thermal.

What’s the circled x’s in the drainage? Are you hunting these in the morning or evening? I’ve never had luck in the hills hunting buck beds outside of early season

Edit: I see those are circled arrows
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 pm

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

What’s the circled x’s in the drainage? Are you hunting these in the morning or evening? I’ve never had luck in the hills hunting buck beds outside of early season

those are swirling winds lol. I hunt these spots in evening all season long and same stand. in mornings only in rut when bucks are coming home late.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

those are swirling winds lol. I hunt these spots in evening all season long and same stand. in mornings only in rut when bucks are coming home late.

Yeah I figured that out haha. They looked like x’s at first :D How often are you hunting the same stand? Seems like it would burn out after a few hunts
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 am

Most any bed that is worth hunting in hill country, a hard rain should not wash away completely. I prefer to scout after a hard rain because you can walk quietly, fresh beds really stand out, this time of year sheds seem to stand out better in some light, and you can see fresh deer tracks in the leaves and wet ground almost as well as after a light snow. Even if the hard rain makes it tough to see some beds, they should still be fairly obvious based on terrain and old sign.

The only down side is you leave a lot more ground scent on wet ground than you would on dry ground. But not a real big deal this time of year.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Yeah I figured that out haha. They looked like x’s at first :D How often are you hunting the same stand? Seems like it would burn out after a few hunts
I hunt It 3 times a year unless its going to rain then I hunt it more you can be a little more aggressive up in mountains where I hunt during rut. it all depends one spot has a hiking trail where I need the stand so human scent is expectable. its also harder to get close in hills so that also works in your favor. and more than buck uses the same bed sometimes. id go with the 100 yard rule if your closer than that you cant hunt it as often. if the buck gets jumped on way in definitely leave it alone for a good time. a good thing to do in that situation is put a camera on exit trail after you bumped him and see how long it takes to settle down sometimes the buck comes back the next day it all depends on how bullet proof the bed is.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 am

the overall point I'm getting at is find the terrain that stands out from all the other bedding a point or bench is great but look for other special features that make it better more thermals better line of sight water close buy and food maybe a mountain top swamp with a drainage to a good looking bedding. do you want a box of chicken nuggets or do you want the box with one that looks like David Hasselhoff's face!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:47 am

ghoasthunter wrote:the overall point I'm getting at is find the terrain that stands out from all the other bedding a point or bench is great but look for other special features that make it better more thermals better line of sight water close buy and food maybe a mountain top swamp with a drainage to a good looking bedding. do you want a box of chicken nuggets or do you want the box with one that looks like David Hasselhoff's face!

Thanks for the info. David Hasselhoff’s face :lol: :lol:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 am

NH Teufelhund wrote:Dumb new guy here, what’s a whip? I’ll look up laurel but what’s that? When I google vegetation I normally don’t get images that help me figure out what I should be looking for in the woods.

Laurel is a bush almost looks like a rodadendrum hedge
I think thats how u spell it. Lol. Whip ? I have no clue
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
NH Teufelhund wrote:Dumb new guy here, what’s a whip? I’ll look up laurel but what’s that? When I google vegetation I normally don’t get images that help me figure out what I should be looking for in the woods.

a whip is a finger size sapling about 6 foot tall that grow in big clusters we call them whips cuz that's the sound they make hitting your clothes and face. :lol:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

a whip is a finger size sapling about 6 foot tall that grow in big clusters we call them whips cuz that's the sound they make hitting your clothes and face. :lol:

bucks like them for cover when bedding and they are a tasty snake year round
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks fellas. I’ve run into plenty of whips thickets but I don’t think I’ve seen laurel in NH or I just never noticted it.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

a whip is a finger size sapling about 6 foot tall that grow in big clusters we call them whips cuz that's the sound they make hitting your clothes and face. :lol:[/quot

Oh same thing adrian peterson vikings running back whipped his kid with right?
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes what AP whipped his kid in the ball bag with
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:06 pm

NH Teufelhund wrote:Thanks fellas. I’ve run into plenty of whips thickets but I don’t think I’ve seen laurel in NH or I just never noticted it.

I don't think you will up there when I hunted up north it was whips and patches of short pines for buck bedding big bucks love pine toped mountains

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”